Advice Request Malware and antivirus needed?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Annamarie

Thread author
Feb 12, 2021
Hello
Need advice. I have a family of 6 so 6 computers. Looking for good security, ease of use, low system impact, no bothersome adds,...

I have windows 10, 7 and Apple Mac/os

what do you recommend? None of the family members are techies. I’m a programmer by trade so that makes me the expect in their eyes!?

looking at malware bytes. Do I need both, antivirus and malware?

thank you in advance

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I guess you mean Anti-Malware and not malware, cause that would be rather unfavorable on your system. I personally recommend using just one real-time protection software and not a second layer of defense but thats a matter of preference. If you're looking for an AV with low system impact and solid protection then I'd recommend ESET, Bitdefender or Kaspersky. I think Bitdefender is the most user friendly and automated one out of those three which can be advantageous if your family isn't really into the computer security thing. If you just want a free AV, then simply stick with Microsoft Defender. Back to your main question: As I said I personally don't think that you need an Antivirus plus an Anti-Malware software combination in real-time, but there is nothing wrong with using software like Malwarebytes Free. You can scan the system from time to time manually and check if your Antivirus missed something.
I hope it answered your question. :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hello
Need advice. I have a family of 6 so 6 computers. Looking for good security, ease of use, low system impact, no bothersome adds,...

I have windows 10, 7 and Apple Mac/os

what do you recommend? None of the family members are techies. I’m a programmer by trade so that makes me the expect in their eyes!?

looking at malware bytes. Do I need both, antivirus and malware?

thank you in advance
You can start with drafting any details in your Computer Security Configuration, for example, Annamarie's Windows Config, and another one called Annamarie's Mac Config.

Details can be added over time, which will take account of any announced changes, which will also allows member to make recommendations based on the given information.

I won't close this thread - but do I recommend creating the above.

Malwarebytes for Windows is better suited as an on-demand for most users, so don't go rushing to buy Premium.

If may be suitable to buy a multi-license suite that covers all the computers. Individual set-ups can be more troublesome if you don't have time/resources to manage them.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017

Dex4Sure

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
May 14, 2019
Honestly, just Windows 10 alone will suffice... Windows Defender and Firewall are enough for most users. Just install uBlock Origin (for blocking ads) and maybe Decentraleyes (for unbreaking some sites that uBlock Origin breaks) on their browsers and you're good to go.

If you truly want a paid AV, go with ESET hands down. I'd never consider any other of the 3rd party AV's any longer, and I've literally tried them all many times over. ESET is super light and has arguably the best signatures + least amount of false positives.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Hi, How about Adguard Family & F-Secure or Kaspersky Total Security or Bitdefender Total Security, there are off course many others but among these, I would choose.
Kind Regards Firehammer. :)
Are you using Adguard Desktop and BTS? I started to experience slowdowns while browsing.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Protecting family members is a challenge. Several computers together can significantly increase the chances of infection. There are some very good free solutions for security-oriented people. But, If you are not a security-oriented person, then the best solution is buying the AV (family license) which can provide several protection levels and has a very low false positives rate on default settings. Such protection can be applied by Kaspersky Internet Security (and a few other AVs). You can start with very restrictive settings like these used by @harlan4096. If these settings will be annoying for a particular family member then you can decrease the protection level for him/her. Avoid using too much aggressive security setup, because people tend to ignore or temporarily deactivate security features if these features are too much annoying.
Use the AV trial version first to see if there are no performance issues on the concrete computers.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.