Malware found in official Ccleaner installers

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
While it's unfortunate that this happened, it's a good thing Piriform went public with this rather than fixing it and not saying anything.
I hope they learn from their mistakes and take the appriopriate actions to make sure something like this doesn't happen again in the future.

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I have just logged in on my other machine to see which version I've been running and somehow luckily I never updated to that infected version. Nothing is (completely) safe and everything can become compromised, we all know that, but still as someone who uses CCleaner on daily basis I am disturbed to read that information. As I don't have the infected version, I'll leave it as it is for now.

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
was illegally modified before it was released to the public
I find something suspicious about this quote, imo they probably did it and when this got revealed they came up with this reply, because how come they never noticed this since it was hosted on THEIR own site since September 11, and just noticed it when the internet started talking? .. quoting: "Talos warned in a blog Monday that the affected version was released on August 15, but on September 12 an untainted version 5.34 was released." so the modified version that got released by that "unknown" hacker who also managed to SIGN the application with their Certificate? and also managed to release this on their own site AS WELL?

I Have It !!!
How / Where you want me to send it ???
Please make sure to not name it just "Ccleaner", compress it and add a password to the archive, upload to zippyshare.com and mark it as "Private".

Daljeet

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 14, 2017
1HPNIa.jpg

Thanks ls for file

L S

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Please make sure to not name it just "Ccleaner", compress it and add a password to the archive, upload to zippyshare.com and mark it as "Private".
It's already done ! :/
P.S. BTW This version is downloaded more than 1000 000 times , sooo .......
& All (almost all) Big Antivirus & Antimalware Softwares have that "infected file = malware"

Last edited:

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
crap cleaner is now itself crap. piriform was always an adware company & then it was bought by the bigger adware company, avast.

as someone who uses CCleaner on daily basis

why? what kind of magic do you think it does to your computer? ccleaner is the epitome of snake oil happily & willingly lapped up by users.

imo they probably did it and when this got revealed they came up with this reply

bingo (y)

now that is what i call hitting the nail on the head @Bleak never minces his words & this time what he has stated is the gospel truth.

ClamAV be like, "You made fun of me for years. What do you say now?"

DM, i have been made fun of since years for advising against ccleaner but now i stand vindicated :cool:

if you guys seriously think this shady stuff has just started you are so naive, piriform has been doing this since ccleaner 4.17 back in 2014.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.