Solved Malware keeps coming back

AntaresSQ01

Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I can try and by completely do you mean, control panel -> programs & features -> chrome -> uninstall or any specific methods?

AntaresSQ01

Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Ok so this is my very fresh chrome install, made sure no configs or anything stayed behind, i didn't even log in with my google account. Now I'm gonna do an Adwcleaner scan (when it was uninstalled the malware wasn't there).

Ok, so far clean (keep in mind this is first bootup, no login).
I'll wait for further instructions from you incase there is something you want me to do, if not I'll go ahead and log in and see if everything is ok.

AntaresSQ01

Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Ok, second bootup, still no login and still no malware, seems good so far. But I'll leave it here for now...

AntaresSQ01

Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Ok after like a minimal usage, scan with Adwcleaner doesnt show the previous malware but it does show uk.ask.com search engine being installed which is weird cos i didnt do anything apart from being on this site and like my emails...

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Ok after like a minimal usage, scan with Adwcleaner doesnt show the previous malware but it does show uk.ask.com search engine being installed which is weird cos i didnt do anything apart from being on this site and like my emails...

Can you show me Adwcleaner report?

AntaresSQ01

Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
1st scan of the day, nothing, and by the way i removed the search engine manually, from chrome settings.

AntaresSQ01

Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Ok i think i got the little sucker. Here is what i did, since i found out its in my "google account" i reset all the sync data (basically delete all my cloud savings) (local data still stays), cleaned up the browser with Adwcleaner to get rid of it, then restart, check, no malware, then sync it back to the cloud again. Seems to be good so far cos I'm logged in, synced and clean... I've had malwares on my PC and cleaned dozens of other PCs from malware/viruses, but this sucker was by far the most annoying and slithering of all... I'll update you tomorrow or in a day or 2 to see if its still all good.

AntaresSQ01

Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Alright, quick report back, I'm clean, that seems to be it! Thanks for the help, greatly appreciate it!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.