Malware Maniac's Security Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
Thread author
May 14, 2012
Haven't actually used this site in half a decade. Go ahead and be critical if you wish, I feel pretty secure with my current laptop setup. I don't do very many malicious things.

A couple of details I wish to have noted here is I have updated my registry to account for group policy to do the following:
  • Disable Windows Defender real-time scanner.
  • Disable auto restarts for Windows Updates.
  • Disable the auto installation of third party application via Windows Store sponsors.
I have disabled the Windows Defender Notification Icon on startup. All accounts I can have Two Factor Authentication allowed through an authenticator app have the setting enabled. I practice common sense tactics and ensure software I use on my system is reasonably safe.

I'm cheap, so most of the software I use are free (not cracked or pirated). I feel with the security configuration I currently have, and the sites I frequently visit, I am safe from most of the malware attacks that may occur.

I have made a Security Configuration in the past, however, the last time I touched the thread was probably in 2012. The thread is currently in the archive.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Haven't actually used this site in half a decade. Go ahead and be critical if you wish, I feel pretty secure with my current laptop setup. I don't do very many malicious things.

A couple of details I wish to have noted here is I have updated my registry to account for group policy to do the following:
  • Disable Windows Defender real-time scanner.
  • Disable auto restarts for Windows Updates.
  • Disable the auto installation of third party application via Windows Store sponsors.
I have disabled the Windows Defender Notification Icon on startup. All accounts I can have Two Factor Authentication allowed through an authenticator app have the setting enabled. I practice common sense tactics and ensure software I use on my system is reasonably safe.

I'm cheap, so most of the software I use are free (not cracked or pirated). I feel with the security configuration I currently have, and the sites I frequently visit, I am safe from most of the malware attacks that may occur.

I have made a Security Configuration in the past, however, the last time I touched the thread was probably in 2012. The thread is currently in the archive.
Backups ;)

You already have avast free so no need to have the browser extension ;)
If you want you can add Avira Browser safety but its just about if you need it or you feel safe enough ;)

Malware Maniac

Level 1
Thread author
May 14, 2012
He already has OneDrive though.
@Malware Maniac Why the different content blockers for different browsers?

Browsers and Extensions:
Chrome (Default) - HTTPS Everywhere, Web of Trust, ABP + LP.
Opera - LP
Edge - ABP + LP
FireFox - None.

Preferred Search Engine: Google
Password Manager: LastPass
Content Blocker (Ads, Scripts, Trackers): AdBlock Plus, Avast Online Security Extension

What do you mean? ABP is AdBlock Plus (which I am changing over to uBlock) and LP is LastPass. I try to keep things consistent through my different browsers.

Also, I do not have spare hard drives or flash drives laying around for me to do backups.

Reactions: shmu26

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
What do you mean? ABP is AdBlock Plus (which I am changing over to uBlock) and LP is LastPass. I try to keep things consistent through my different browsers.

Also, I do not have spare hard drives or flash drives laying around for me to do backups.
Oh. I thought you had 2 browsers with adblock and two without. Didn't see Chrome's ABP. I just thought it was weird.
Can you normally install uBlock Origin on Edge?
It's okay though. You might want to consider another cloud if data is important using something like IFTTT for example. The extra redundancy might be useful in case of a bad day which doesn't just include malware and is probably the unlikely cause anyway.

Reactions: Parsh

Malware Maniac

Level 1
Thread author
May 14, 2012

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4.7 KB · Views: 381
Reactions: askmark

Hector1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 4, 2015
Please consider data backup and system backup software (You can try Aomei Free or Macrium reflect free).
Consider virtualization software like Sandoboxie for Browsing, an anti exe (Voodoshield free is good) and a firewall for outbound contol (optional)

Reactions: Parsh

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Wait, would that be the
Code:
RECOVERY (D:)
drive I have on my computer when I first got it, that I have no clue what it does?

Guessing HP had that preinstalled on my Operating System.
That drive contains an image of your laptop as it was when you bought it. It enables you, if required, to restore your laptop to its factory default settings.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
Thread author
May 14, 2012
Haha, got the Caution tag.

I'm guessing it's for having Windows Defender disabled. I can't possibly believe that it's just because I don't have a backup solution, is it?

Reactions: shmu26

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015

I'm guessing it's for having Windows Defender disabled. I can't possibly believe that it's just because I don't have a backup solution, is it?

Eh you'd be surprised. Although it would be decent to have WD enabled for scanning having a backup solution is one of the most needed things out there. Even with a top config .01% of malware might get through and delete your files. I'd recommend installing PCloud, Mega, or Google Drive as some backup solutions. :)

Reactions: PCGamer

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016

Don't you already have Avast installed?
Eh you'd be surprised. Although it would be decent to have WD enabled for scanning having a backup solution is one of the most needed things out there. Even with a top config .01% of malware might get through and delete your files. I'd recommend installing PCloud, Mega, or Google Drive as some backup solutions. :)
I think hardware failures or availability are a likelier scenario in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.