App Review Malwarebytes Premium vs 10 malware and phishing urls

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Thanks for the testing, Malwarebytes web protection is very solid, I really like it, but there are some "problems" with the software as whole that makes me avoid it (system impact hit/false positives/no real behavior blocker).

About the missing link detection, it is legitimate, it is the official banking website of Itau (one of the biggest bank in Brazil).

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
Thanks for the testing, Malwarebytes web protection is very solid, I really like it, but there are some "problems" with the software as whole that makes me avoid it (system impact hit/false positives/no real behavior blocker).

About the missing link detection, it is legitimate, it is the official banking website of Itau (one of the biggest bank in Brazil).
Alright, good to know, and I agree with the last part.

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
The impact on the system is what makes me not use it in real time, although I have not used it for some time, maybe they have improved it now.:unsure:
I took a look before the test, the MBAM service and another process of it used 130 megabytes each, and the service used 60% CPU when I first installed it, altough it calmed down after a couple of minutes, didnt notice a huge system slow down either.

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
IMPORTANT: For the best possible protection with malwarebytes you need to pair it with browser guard it will detect suspicious url's by behavior and reputation. It will also detect url's that have not been detected by the premium product which is why you should use both for testing purposes as well. Give browser guard a try on the url's missed by the malwarebytes product it may detect them as "suspicious" or by "reputation"

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
IMPORTANT: For the best possible protection with malwarebytes you need to pair it with browser guard it will detect suspicious url's by behavior and reputation. It will also detect url's that have not been detected by the premium product which is why you should use both for testing purposes as well. Give browser guard a try on the url's missed by the malwarebytes product it may detect them as "suspicious" or by "reputation"

It didnt missed anything, the bankline Itau supposed phishing link is clean.

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
Maybe malwarebytes is now good enough to use alone as standard protection? Seems to have improved with browser guard it blocks all urls on urlhuas and xxvualt. Only 1 PUP was undetected but i later submitted it and they added detection. Other than that system was clean... I still have my lifetime licence i think by the next version of malwarebytes they will have perfected it's protection. I do see improvements from when 4.0 was first released it was not that great but now it's much better. I think malwarebytes might focus more on prevention than just it's detection lets see what the katana engine will bring.... The web protection of malwarebytes pro combined with malwarebytes browser guard is getting to be one of the best.

Last edited:

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
Maybe malwarebytes is now good enough to use alone as standard protection? Seems to have improved with browser guard it blocks all urls on urlhuas and xxvualt. Only 1 PUP was undetected but i later submitted it and they added detection. Other than that system was clean... I still have my lifetime licence i think by the next version of malwarebytes they will have perfected it's protection. I do see improvements from when 4.0 was first released it was not that great but now it's much better. I think malwarebytes might focus more on prevention than just it's detection lets see what the katana engine will bring.... The web protection of malwarebytes pro combined with malwarebytes browser guard is getting to be one of the best.
May I ask, whats the point of the extension if you use malwarebytes premium with the same database?

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
May I ask, whats the point of the extension if you use malwarebytes premium with the same database?
It's not the same at all and if you ask malwarebytes on the official forums they will tell you that the extension provides better behavioral detection. The premium version wont detect url's by reputation like the browser guard will. Malwarebytes Premium and Malwarebytes Browser Guard

"Posted September 15, 2019
Greetings,
exile360

Yes, Malwarebytes Browser Guard blocks items that the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes Premium does not as it is able to use behavior based blocking to detect/block things like tech support scams and some other types of malicious sites and it also blocks ads, trackers (to protect privacy), as well as clickbait links/sites; items which the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes Premium does not block so you benefit from using both together."

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Yes, Malwarebytes Browser Guard blocks items that the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes Premium does not as it is able to use behavior based blocking to detect/block things like tech support scams and some other types of malicious sites and it also blocks ads, trackers (to protect privacy), as well as clickbait links/sites; items which the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes Premium does not block so you benefit from using both together.

Do you know if the same idea can be applied for Kaspersky Security Cloud Free and the kasperksy protection extension? Or the Bitfender AV and the Bitdefender Trafficlight extension?

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
Do you know if the same idea can be applied for Kaspersky Security Cloud Free and the kasperksy protection extension? Or the Bitfender AV and the Bitdefender Trafficlight extension?
i dont use bitdefender so i cannot comment on that... but for kaspersky security cloud free you don't need the extension kaspersky's web antivirus pretty much blocks everything under the sun.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.