Advice Request McAfee free from ISP good or bad?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Well, I use Kaspersky cloud free but my on my wife's system she is using Norton free from our ISP... but we just got a notice that they ditched them and she can now download McAfee instead.. Wondered about installing it for her to give it a test run and play around with it. Should I bother or run the other way? (LOL)

toto

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
I think they improved quite a bit in the latest versions, especially in terms of performance. I would say give it a try and see how it works on your wife's laptop as it's not a bad product if you are getting it for free.

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
I think they improved quite a bit in the latest versions, especially in terms of performance. I would say give it a try and see how it works on your wife's laptop as it's not a bad product if you are getting it for free.
Agree 100% (y)
Grabbed a 6 month key from tune.ru a month ago. Have IS running on a spare workstation desktop, and am amazed with the progress they've made in the past years.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Try it for more than a few days.

You'll get a better idea of how it performs for your computers, and any initial high usage should settle.

Edit:
If not, then troubleshoot or seek online for answers.

If it's a terrible experience after the few days, uninstall with removal tool or restore using PC image.

Last edited:

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
So much for that. LOL. I guess they can't handle the influx of new subscribers.

1591661367751.png

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
McAfee is a big name also a big player in the industry
no one can deny that
there are always people that don't like or hate a company or product for personal bad or weird experiences
that doesn't change how big and important is/was McAfee to this industry it surely can protect you as it is protecting much more important customers.
just like Symantec/Norton
Kaspersky
Bitdefender

peaple can't go wrong with McAfee either, they are leaders.

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
what ISP do you have? it's interesting because comcast use to use mcafee but they may switch back because of Norton's buy out with boardcom. Comcast may make the switch to mcafee as well everyone is ditching norton.
Centurylink. We got a postcard notice in the mail about the switch.

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
I honestly wouldnt use mcafee, in my personal testing it scored a detection rate of just over 50%, when kaspersky had a 72% and bitdefender and 83% detection ratio, and all of this while having a extremely slow scan, performance impact and resource usage was very high aswell, to the point I was near giving up.

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
I found out more details:

Along with the cloud-based global threat intelligence system (GTI) and machine learning it instantly scans messages, files and apps to block or quarantine malicious content like viruses, malware, ransomware, spyware and more on your compatible devices.

About Global Threat Intelligence:

• It is based in the cloud, and communicates with your device. This means the heavy lifting is done in the cloud, keeping your device running smooth and fast.

It also mentions about McAfee Endpoint Protection. Hmmm!

If you have Norton or any other AV software already installed on your device then it can conflict with the proper operation of McAfee Endpoint Protection so you will have to uninstall the other AV software from your device.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
I found out more details:

Along with the cloud-based global threat intelligence system (GTI) and machine learning it instantly scans messages, files and apps to block or quarantine malicious content like viruses, malware, ransomware, spyware and more on your compatible devices.

About Global Threat Intelligence:

• It is based in the cloud, and communicates with your device. This means the heavy lifting is done in the cloud, keeping your device running smooth and fast.

It also mentions about McAfee Endpoint Protection. Hmmm!

If you have Norton or any other AV software already installed on your device then it can conflict with the proper operation of McAfee Endpoint Protection so you will have to uninstall the other AV software from your device.
If it's the endpoint version it's not bad.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I gave it a try a few weeks ago & although some of the interface wasn't to my liking I could certainly live with it, the McAfee name is somewhat misleading & if I had been Intel I would maybe have ditched the brand name bit solid product I feel.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I can't download it yet, :( trying to find out more about the software.
Mcafee has this 6 months trial version for the Internet security version for a long time now. You can check if you can download from here and give it a test drive if you want to.
Btw, internet security is not available on their main site anymore. They want everyone to use their Total protection version.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.