Advice Request McAfee free from ISP good or bad?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Try a different browser. I had the same issue in my main browser, but the download worked in Edge Chromium.
I have been trying it with firefox and edge chrome also. Hmm..... going to try again!

*UPDATE* I installed the full edge chromium a few weeks ago but still also had the dev version too. The Dev version got wiped and has no extensions installed but that is what worked!! I got the McAfee installer to download with it. Thanks much for the idea. Not sure what extension is causing the error though.

Last edited:

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Well I finally got it installed and running and I must say, it does seem very light! AND it includes alot of tools including the full firewall FREE. (Norton free from the ISP was very sparse in this regards, just antivirus and the sonar protection.) This has alot of features and adjustable settings and also an app booster!

1591916369790.png

1591916535137.png

Not sure of the full product info. Here are the about screens:

242621[/ATTACH]

1591916811358.png

1591916671997.png

]

Attachments

• 1591916613543.png
    1591916613543.png
    128.7 KB · Views: 532

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
it's around 20 bucks to buy it, and you're getting it for free, which essentially increases the value you're paying for your isp (giving you more bang for your buck). i put the 6 mo giveaway on one of my systems and its been behaving nicely (so far). and McAfee has been doing well in the labs, has some polish, and is a respectable company. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. :)

and here's pcmags review, which was an editor's choice!

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
it's around 20 bucks to buy it, and you're getting it for free, which essentially increases the value you're paying for your isp (giving you more bang for your buck). i put the 6 mo giveaway on one of my systems and its been behaving nicely (so far). and McAfee has been doing well in the labs, has some polish, and is a respectable company. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. :)

and here's pcmags review, which was an editor's choice!
Hmm... I see, pretty good review except the ransomware test but that was in December. I didn't know what version this installed as I haven't used McAfee in like 20 years... Yes I remember the days when you would run away from this and Norton! LOL.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
You're liking? It comes on my new laptop and I don't know if I should keep it.

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
You're liking? It comes on my new laptop and I don't know if I should keep it.
So far I do! Very light and barely notice it's there, except when my firewall pops up to alert me. (Which you can set of course to alert or safe auto mode to let it work without much interruption unless it is not sure about the safety of a program.)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.