McAfee is a bit difficult to clean out

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenniferatemple

Thread author
Verified
Oct 2, 2013
Am I the only one to have noticed this. I had to keep searching and removing even after Revo uninstall and 5 runs of Ccleaner with "35 pass over write" enabled. I still found left over folders and program data, that even File Assassin "could not see..." the bits left behind.

Makes me wonder what else may still be hiding under cobwebs in my machine. Its all gone now but it took some effort.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
That's why, where possible, with a security program I will 1st try to uninstall in safe mode before the AV or firewall loads. It makes for a cleaner uninstall. But there are a few programs that won't uninstall in safe mode.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
jenniferatemple said:
Littlebits said:
You need to use McAfee Consumer Product Removal (MCPR) tool. Boot into Safe Mode and run it, then all traces should be gone.

Thanks. :D

That was tough! It would not run in safe mode, stalled the first time in the normal mode and had to be stopped and run again. It worked the third time all the way to reboot. I do believe its finally done the job!

I'm sorry about the Safe Mode commit, it used to work in Safe Mode in their previous versions now it looks like it doesn't on the current version. I also forget to tell you to disable all of your security products before starting the removal tool since they can cause it to fail.

I'm glad you finally got rid of it.

jenniferatemple

Thread author
Verified
Oct 2, 2013
I'm sorry about the Safe Mode commit, it used to work in Safe Mode in their previous versions now it looks like it doesn't on the current version. I also forget to tell you to disable all of your security products before starting the removal tool since they can cause it to fail.

I'm glad you finally got rid of it.

[/quote]

That's OK, I knew to disable all other security before starting. You know what they say: "Third times the charm", it worked the last run. Thank you again for pointing me to the program because McAfee does seem to be a sticky one. Cheers!

jenniferatemple

Thread author
Verified
Oct 2, 2013
aztony said:
That's why, where possible, with a security program I will 1st try to uninstall in safe mode before the AV or firewall loads. It makes for a cleaner uninstall. But there are a few programs that won't uninstall in safe mode.

Did try but got error messages about "PROGRAMS RUNNING" conflicts! That particular program wants us in normal mode it seems. It did work fine when I opened the computer to full function. That's McAfee for ya.

Macro

Oct 2, 2014
McAfee, one of the best antivirus software companies, offers a paid program that keeps your laptop/computer safe from various Trojans, virus, and malware infections. However, this program may create various problems while updating or installing other programs in your computer. McAfee starts behaving oddly while virus removal and this causes your computer to become unstable. Henceforth, it often becomes a necessity to disable McAfee Antivirus in Windows 8 to make your computer work properly again.
To disable McAfee Antivirus in your system, you can follow the given few methods:

• Right click on the ‘McAfee icon’ from the system tray menu. This way, McAfee Security Centre will open up. Select ‘Change Settings’ and then select ‘Real Time Scanning’ from the menu.In this window, click on the ‘Turn Off’ button, which is at the bottom.Our technical support services may come in handy.
  • You can always specify the timing from the drop down menu from Resume Real Time Scanning. We will highly recommend you to select ‘When I Restart My Pc’ option. This way McAfee antivirus will remain disabled until the time your pc gets started again.
  • Email is the most common way in which computer viruses are spread. If you are having problems with an e-mail program lately, it is wiser to turn off McAfee Antivirus in Windows 8.
  • There will be the McAfeeVirusScan icon in the bottom right hand corner of your Desktop. Right click on this icon to select the option of Open Security Centre. Now, select the VirusScan tab in the left-hand column of the McAfee Security Center window. There will be a screen showing ‘VirusScan is currently protecting your computer from viruses’. Click on ‘disable option’. Follow the exact same procedure for enabling McAfee Antivirus in Windows 8. The only exception will be to select ‘enable’ instead of ‘disable’ this time.
  • You can also disable McAfee antivirus in Windows 8 by following these steps. Double click the McAfee icon. Click ‘Real Time Scanning’ and ‘disable’ it. Now ‘turn off’ the Firewall. You can even schedule the time for Firewall to disable automatically.However, if you have a program that needs to bypass the Firewall, consider opening ports instead of disabling the entire firewall.
  • If you are unable to disable McAfee antivirus in Windows 8, then you can seek technical support help from our experts. You can also download Norton antivirus after reading Norton antivirus 2012 review because its customer care services are best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.