Advice Request McAfee Real Protect. Worth it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I checked it out and I have found no evidence of any sort of behavior blocker, nothing in its settings or user interface, nothing in its files, maybe its intentional, but I find it confusing.
I just installed it. Real protect is not in the same folder as Stinger. After opening stinger it creates directory in "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Real Protect" and runs in the background and there's a icon in system tray which lets you check log, quarantine, etc.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Here's Real Protect in action. It detected the exe of Brave portable of portapps but this is a false positive. It couldn't stop the program from running though. Brave working fine before clicking on Clean so not sure how effective it is.
mc.PNG

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
it removes itself. i installed it a couple weeks ago and yesterday it disappeared. winpatrol notified me its startup was removed. so i ran stinger again to get it back.

It doesn't stop the malware from running. It does only notifies the user.

i don't think this is correct. it has a quarantine.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
I just installed it. Real protect is not in the same folder as Stinger. After opening stinger it creates directory in "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Real Protect" and runs in the background and there's a icon in system tray which lets you check log, quarantine, etc.
Have you test it with ESET?

I'm worried about any conflicts.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.