App Review Microsoft Defender vs a ransomware Scriptor

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Ophelia

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
So Defender is finally blocking Magniber by behaviour?
At least this is good news.
I‘m actually also excited about SAC.
Of course nothing new to the security world, but being a default part of Windows (even in the „free“ Home version - upgraded from 10 -> 11, activated itself silently) sounds great to me if it works out and does not generate too many FP.
Mine is currently evaluating, since i fresh-installed Win11 22H2 yesterday.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
At least this is good news.
I‘m actually also excited about SAC.
Of course nothing new to the security world, but being a default part of Windows (even in the „free“ Home version - upgraded from 10 -> 11, activated itself silently) sounds great to me if it works out and does not generate too many FP.
Mine is currently evaluating, since i fresh-installed Win11 22H2 yesterday.

And what do you think of SAC if you have tested it? :)

I installed W11 22h2 yesterday on VM in fresh install, but didn't have time to test SAC against scripts and other malwares yet

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
And what do you think of SAC if you have tested it? :)

I installed W11 22h2 yesterday on VM in fresh install, but didn't have time to test SAC against scripts and other malwares yet
I did not test it yet, too, after setting everything up yesterday and today, I noticed the feature scrolling trough Updates and later Defense settings.
As I have understood from articles, it would mostly default-deny unless app is trusted, like AppGuard (?) and others?
I‘d wish for an option to still run like in SmartScreen, in case of FP. So you don’t need to deactivate SAC?
I understood from articles you can only enable from fresh installs and not re-enable?
Thats kinda limiting factor for now, even i understand the intention behind.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Well, no, it failed quite well. And as to SAC it is extremely limited as how many ONLY have fresh installs without anything else being on the system? And even then if disabled only another fresh install will enable it.

Further SAC seems to obsess over only allowing legitimately signed applications while rejecting those that are not. This would be an issue for many common programs (like Seamonkey browser) which would not be allowed. This kind of protection routine would leave the final decision in the hands of the user as one would not know what is real and what isn't, never a good thing.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
What follows from the video?
  1. Microsoft did not improve the Controlled Folder Access to block the technique used by Magniber.
  2. Scripts are usually more dangerous than other popular file types.
It would be interesting if this malicious script is blocked by Defender's ASR rules + highest Cloud Protection Level. If not, then it would mean that Microsoft still does not treat Magniber as really dangerous in the wild.

Last edited:

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Well, no, it failed quite well. And as to SAC it is extremely limited as how many ONLY have fresh installs without anything else being on the system? And even then if disabled only another fresh install will enable it.

Further SAC seems to obsess over only allowing legitimately signed applications while rejecting those that are not. This would be an issue for many common programs (like Seamonkey browser) which would not be allowed. This kind of protection routine would leave the final decision in the hands of the user as one would not know what is real and what isn't, never a good thing.
Almost expected, as blocking happened instant in your video.
Sad M$ still doesn‘t care…

Agree on that 💯
And i bet some blackhats will find a way to override.
Signed malware has always been weak point in AVs.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
What follows from the video?
  1. Microsoft did not improve the Controlled Folder Access to block the technique used by Magniber.
  2. Scripts are usually more dangerous than other popular file types.
It would be interesting if this malicious script is blocked by Defender's ASR rules + highest Cloud Protection Level. If not, then it would mean that Microsoft still does not treat Magniber as really dangerous in the wild.

I just tested :)

2022-09-24_19h38_26.png

I didn't touch the script, MD detected it
2022-09-24_19h40_05.png

I rebuilt Magniber in .JS by killing the Microsoft Defender detection.
ASR / High rules are still on... no detection!
2022-09-24_19h42_03.png

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I just tested :)

I didn't touch the script, MD detected itView attachment 269528

Could you look in the ConfigureDefender at the <Defender Security Log> to identify the detection details?

I rebuilt Magniber in .JS by killing the Microsoft Defender detection.
ASR / High rules are still on... no detection!
View attachment 269529

Yes, that is a common issue with AV script detection.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.