Advice Request Microsoft Edge "edging" out Google Chrome?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
After reading several postings by some of the tech gurus and others here at MT, the takeaway I got was that the new Microsoft Edge is slightly the better overall browser over Chrome out-of-the-box for average users .

I say this well aware of the "many" original Chromium forks but being so many, and the timing of development schedules, one can get confused as an average user choosing which one is best, and how to tweak it.

Of course, some would say it is matter of personal preference, and some hard core MT vets might say nothing but vanilla Chromium but I just wanted to clarify once and for all if it seems like Edge is now "edging" out Google Chrome, and would be a safe, and good recommendation for anyone asking.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Healthy competition between the two. They're slightly different browsers in what they offer. Chrome is more geared towards security and simplicity, and Edge focused on Web privacy and features.

Microsoft Edge for Android comes with ABP, whereas Chrome is stock.

Web Privacy? How does this work when all your urls are sent to Microsoft ?

Also from my own experience with the Edge browser it seems to have a pre-configured DNS that it uses and it bypasses system DNS settings.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Web Privacy? How does this work when all your urls are sent to Microsoft ?

Also from my own experience with the Edge browser it seems to have a pre-configured DNS that it uses and it bypasses system DNS settings.
It does not bypass the DNS enforced by my router, which is adopted by the system (haven’t tested my system independently since the router overrides it anyway). But I don’t think it has a hard coded DNS, what did you see that makes it seem like it is? Also, if you turn off smart screen then urls don’t go plaintext to M$. Problem solved. Though they have really good web filtering because of this. As with anything privacy/security it’s a trade off.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
It does not bypass the DNS enforced by my router, which is adopted by the system (haven’t tested my system independently since the router overrides it anyway). But I don’t think it has a hard coded DNS, what did you see that makes it seem like it is? Also, if you turn off smart screen then urls don’t go plaintext to M$. Problem solved. Though they have really good web filtering because of this. As with anything privacy/security it’s a trade off.

I have my DNS setup in my router to use cloudflare so its set to 1.1.1.1

Also have my network adapter TCP/IP4 set to use 1.1.1.1

All browsers on my system use 1.1.1.1 for their DNS queries. Edge did not use 1.1.1.1 (it was the only browser from Chrome, FF, BRave and chromuim that ignored my DNS settings)

If i run DNSCrpyt and configure it to use cloudfare only then does Edge uses 1.1.1.1 for its DNS queries.

Last edited:

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017

All browsers on my system use 1.1.1.1 for their DNS queries. Edge did not use 1.1.1.1 (it was the only browser from Chrome, FF, BRave and chromuim that ignored my DNS settings)

If i run DNSCrpyt and configure it to use cloudfare only then does Edge uses 1.1.1.1 for its DNS queries.

Regarding Cloudfare, I set it up on my Router, and received this response from the Cloudfare help site, and I want to know if this is ok? They said if you do the Router, it will put it through to everything rather than doing individual configs.

Cloudfare.png

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Try the test using the link below and see if secure DNS is working or not using the Edge browser.

This test website by Cloudflare doesn't work correctly sometimes it seems to be broken, so it's not the best indicator to check even you are using only DNS by Cloudflare.

You may like to check on the link below what is your provider for DNS on your Edge:

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
This test website by Cloudflare doesn't work correctly sometimes it seems to be broken, so it's not the best indicator to check even you are using only DNS by Cloudflare.

You may like to check on the link below what is your provider for DNS on your Edge:

It is possible the website maybe broken.

However if you try the test in other browsers they will all pass the secure DNS test at least on my system

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Here is another alternative website by Cloudflare to check properly your settings:

I have used this site regularly. One of the main reason i use 1.1.1.1 is it provides Secure DNS and DNSSEC support.

The issue I had with Edge is that it was not using the Secure DNS for some reason. whereas i don't have this issue with other browsers with default settings.

Really weird the Secure DNS flag seems to have magically appeared in my EDGE browser. lol

I have it enabled and everything seems to be working has expected.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I have used this site regularly. One of the main reason i use 1.1.1.1 is it provides Secure DNS and DNSSEC support.

The issue I had with Edge is that it was not using the Secure DNS for some reason. whereas i don't have this issue with other browsers with default settings.

Really weird the Secure DNS flag seems to have magically appeared in my EDGE browser. lol

I have it enabled and everything seems to be working has expected.

My Edge only shows connected to 1.1.1.1 but not DNS over HTTPS per this Cloudfare site. I have the flag enabled in Edge. I too have no problem with Chrome or Firefox.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Maybe look at your AV or any 3rd party programs or plugins that maybe causing some issues in Edge.

BitDefender affected the TLS 1.3 connection on my Edge browser but other browsers on my system seem to not be affected.

Disabled Kaspersky AV but it did not help Edge. Chrome and Firefox are ok.

Just found this thread that states Edge is designed to use Googles Servers for Microsoft's version:

enforums.com/tutorials/151318-how-enable-disable-dns-over-https-doh-microsoft-edge.html

So much for Google independence!

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Can't confirm that.
I test many DNS leak sites and all give the same result. No leaks

(I use encrypted NextDNS on router level) and not enable secure DNS flag in edge as it break something.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Can't confirm that.
I test many DNS leak sites and all give the same result. No leaks

(I use encrypted NextDNS on router level) and not enable secure DNS flag in edge as it break something.

The issue was with Secure DNS. The Edge browser was actually using 1.1.1.1 but was not making use of Secure DNS.
I did not read the warning from the Cloudflare site correctly and thought it was not using 1.1.1.1 but it actually was.

After i enabled the DOH flag in Edge, everything is working well.

I ran a few DNS leak test in EDGE with my new settings and so far there are no Leaks.

What makes you say that enabling DOH will break something?

Last edited:
Reactions: Protomartyr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.