Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
It was AdGuard for desktop that caused the problem :D

You too? I was having problems with webpages loading in text only, starting yesterday. After much finagling, I removed AdGuard desktop. Now using uBlock Origin and a privacy ext, it runs smoothly as ever. I only had one custom filter which I then imported into uBO. So that could not have been the issue.

Oh, well. At the moment, I would rather get rid of a paid-for ad blocker than MS Edge. What does that say for Edge? (y)

toto_10

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
You too? I was having problems with webpages loading in text only, starting yesterday. After much finagling, I removed AdGuard desktop. Now using uBlock Origin and a privacy ext, it runs smoothly as ever. I only had one custom filter which I then imported into uBO. So that could not have been the issue.

Oh, well. At the moment, I would rather get rid of a paid-for ad blocker than MS Edge. What does that say for Edge? (y)

Under Stealth Mode --> Miscellaneous, untick Hide your User-Agent fixed the problem for me.

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
A question.
You have Prevent Edge from running in background?

But does the setting work or do you have to resort to Debotnet?

Taken from Debotnet:

On the new Chromium version of Microsoft Edge, extensions and other services can keep the browser running in the background even after it's closed. Although this may not be an issue for most desktop PCs, it could be a problem for laptops and low-end devices as these background processes can increase battery consumption and memory usage. The background process displays an icon in the system tray and can always be closed from there.

If you run this script the background mode will be disabled.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I can't download apps from the Google webstore anymore. It forces me to download Chrome when I try to add an extension. The button to add an extension says 'Available for Chrome' and when I click I get redirected to download Chrome. What is going on?!?
Interesting... I was on YouTube earlier and got a video ad for Opera inserted while viewing a tech channel (not the "watch next" channel in the screenshot)...
AEcKKx6.png

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Are you using Stealth mode?

Hopefully, your comment was directed at me, if so: yes, I was. Too many settings, not enuff time. So in a fit of pique, I removed it. I'll probably reinstate it when something bugs me about uBlock Origin (though that's far less likely.)

But yes, something about AdGuard definitely resulted in text-only webpages. This was for both Opera and Edge so it was narrowed down to AdGuard even more. The issue hasn't come back since I took it off the system. I'll figure out what it was later.

Edit: thanks a lot, toto_10: I'll try turning off Hide User Agent in Stealth Settings and update whether that fixed it. (y)

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

@useragent guys here: changing it doesn't work and you only make you more unique.
Every site can still read the real useragent with Javascript.
Also "hiding" is the same as changing. It can't be hidden as reason above.

So this privacy add-on isn't for privacy.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Privacy issue on the latest Edge

Video with proof:

Can't confirm.

Clear history remove the search entry completly.

Also for that the InPrivate mode exist, which work as intended - even without manually clean.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Google Stops Issuing Security Warnings About Microsoft Edge
header-image.jpg

Google has toned down its rhetoric by no longer displaying a security warning on its extension store to Microsoft Edge users that tells them to switch to Chrome to be more secure:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Google Stops Issuing Security Warnings About Microsoft Edge
header-image.jpg

Google has toned down its rhetoric by no longer displaying a security warning on its extension store to Microsoft Edge users that tells them to switch to Chrome to be more secure:

It probably backfired badly on them although we'll never know the details.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
@Telos I am afraid @security123 is right.
I'm not at all sure what you are saying. My choice was never about security/privacy. My point was to sidestep Google's Edge harassment. Unlike your experience, my user agent identifies Edge as

BaCyc3o.png

I see now that Google has backed off its Chrome Store antics. Not sure whether Google Drive has done the same.

O wait... apparently not...
76ElgUJ.png

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@Telos

Security123 posted that the user-agent (browser) information is always revealed when javascript query's the navigator object. You can check yourself. Surf to this page with your User Agent extensions hiding Edge: Tryit Editor v3.6 Click on the TRY IT button in the right pane. Your reel user agent will be displayed.

1583756260198.png

Microsof is indeed adding extensions in its own store: I now get my only extension from the Microsoft store: Blank Tab Microsoft Edge Addons

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Had issue with uBO in medium mode from chrome store not allowing any page load. Swapping to older Microsoft store version did the trick. Not sure what the issue was but try that if you get problems with it.. I'll have to test it out again later.

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
@Telos I am afraid @security123 is right.

You can check it yourself by surfing to this website of W3C (the alliance which determines the standards for the internet for HTML, CSS, javascript et cetera across browsers): Tryit Editor v3.6

I tried wth User-Agent switcher and it still showed Edge (had chosen Opera as user agent)

200.JPG

:D:D:D

Always with Windows XP and not with Windows 10.
My OS is 32 bit and not 64 bit.
Regarding the browser, I can also make the website believe that it uses Chrome 80.

P.S.
Et voila.
Now I'm with Edge in Windows 10.:

200a.JPG

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.