Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@oldschool

What setting do you use tracking protection?

Strict. I haven't found any broken sites, or at least any with broken functionality. It may occur based on your browsing habits, and M$ warns that it may break sites.

Edit: I would add to my general suggestion that if you want more granular control of blocking, e.g. annoyances, etc. then µBO is the way to go.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I tried an earlier version but most impressed with this - It really is hard to fault & I really like the looks too - I had a few issues with applying spell check & downloading English UK, in the end I reset the Windows firewall & it's OK (Probably caused by me in the past with MS blockers such as O&O SU) It's faster for me too, than Chrome or FF. Will put pressure on FF I would think as it's very slick. :emoji_ok_hand:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I've been trying to get info about this re: Chromium on the Insiders Forum and directly through browser feedback. No feedback yet.
MS closed down their ebook store and the userbase for this seem very small so I'm not optimistic on MS bringing support to newer browser or even revive their old reader and add ebook support. Next best thing for me was converting the epubs into mobi with calibre and reading them in Kindle for Windows. But its still inferior to old Edge so I'll stick with Edge as long as it lasts.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@oldschool

Thanks, I have set it on strict. I had added uBlock for a while, but it does not 'see' the 46 sources which Privacy Possum mentions, so either privacy possum exaggerates its capabilities or Privacy Possum adds useful blocking capabilities to Edge anti-tracking capabilities considering the numbers it displays when browsing a free Dutch news website (46 sources). At the moment I am inclined to believe the numbers reported by Privacy Possum, so keeping Edge anti-tracking on STRICT with PP.

1571809324405.png

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Any reason for excitement? What it has over Chrome or other Chromium clones?

For people
  • On older hardware:
    Windows 10 used to preload old Edge, so it launched faster than any other browser. Because new Edge replaces old Edge, this Microsoft trick will hopefully also be enabled for new Edge.
  • Using no third-party security software injecting DL'L's in the browser:
    Edge-chromium only uses Microsoft signed software, so it can be extra protected with Windows Defender (enabling option Code Integrity Guard for 'msedge.exe' of 'Exploit Protection' in 'App and Browser control'), so it will only load Microsoft signed software (which reduces the already minimal chance of Chromium based browser to be exploited to near zero).
On top of that it has build in:
  • Anti-tracking which when set on strict does not require additional ad-blocking extension (according to @oldschool)
  • Smartscreen integration (according @Umbra) *
  • Admin mode warning **

So enough reasons for me to give it a spin on my 9 year old dual boot laptop :giggle:

*) Chrome now also offers a flag to perform additional safe browsing checks when downloading programs, so Google is forced to enhance the out of the box security (because it has lost the claim of being the safest browser with the tricks mentioned above).

**) New Edge throws a warning when it is started with admin rights. Because Edge (and Chrome) have a separate installer, it should be possible to sandbox/contain the broker process in a standard user box/denying it admin rights. Maybe Microsoft will add that in future to new Edge also.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@oldschool

Thanks, I have set it on strict. I had added uBlock for a while, but it does not 'see' the 46 sources which Privacy Possum mentions, so either privacy possum exaggerates its capabilities or Privacy Possum adds useful blocking capabilities to Edge anti-tracking capabilities considering the numbers it displays when browsing a free Dutch news website (46 sources). At the moment I am inclined to believe the numbers reported by Privacy Possum, so keeping Edge anti-tracking on STRICT with PP.

View attachment 228235

I'm glad you like it. PP picks up additional trackers in addition to µBO (in default easy mode) and works as intended. The former picks up less when the latter is used in medium mode. Some knuckehead on the Insider Forum tried to tell me tracking prevention doesn't block ads and that using PP with it makes no sense. My experience proves the knucklehead wrong.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.