Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
I do not know it could or not happen but how nice would it be to have the new edge be able to sync to your google chrome browser since its a chromium based. and wondering will the new edge browser end up on android?

The current Android Edge browser is good enough and can be synced with the Insider Channel if you want to sync it with the chromium Edge on Windows.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
My girlfriend called this morning to tell me that all her bookmarks/favorites were gone when she opened (new) Edge. I talked (over the phone) to importing favorites. Although old Edge is gone, new Edge luckily offers to import bookmarks from old Edge. So she had not lost her bookmarks, but she told them they showed up in "imported bookmarks".

Anyone had a similar experience (or were your bookmarks and passwords automatically converted)?

Seems to me a bit stupid way of converting people (when you use old Edge, just copy all settings to new Edge for a smooth transition). The though/emotion that kept hanging with my girlfriend is that Microsoft messed up, lessons learned:
  1. Don't advise friends and relatives on what IT-stuff to buy
    ( I got the blame, because I advised to buy a Windows laptop in stead of double priced Apple laptop).
  2. Don't explain security benefits to someone who has a "techology-intolerance"
    (her response: the old one never got infected, so these security benefits are as practical as glow in the dark condoms)
  3. Don't tell someone who is upset that something is an easy fix when they think it is all messed up
    (the response I got when I told her to "just copy everything 1-by-1 from imported to favorites bar", would not pass forum moderation)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Search and download works and replaces old edge on installation. Definitely my new default. Now just find an adblock and phishing protection addon ;)

Just went with ublock origin for now. So far working well :)
I would suggest uBlock Origin (you're already using it :)) and if you enable extensions from other stores Bitdefender TrafficLight (version from the Google Chrome store).

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I would suggest uBlock Origin (you're already using it :)) and if you enable extensions from other stores Bitdefender TrafficLight (version from the Google Chrome store).

Thanks. I forgot you can use chrome store as well. I had a phishing email which ljnk wasn't blocked by built in antiphishing so I'll see about Bitdefender TL or something. That ant PP.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Thanks. I forgot you can use chrome store as well. I had a phishing email which ljnk wasn't blocked by built in antiphishing so I'll see about Bitdefender TL or something. That ant PP.
Bitdefender TrafficLight is one of the best for malware and phishing blocking.
Just for phishing there is also the Netcraft Extension.
More info here:

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
ok so most of you think firefox will not be as good but now the question is do you think that the new edge will be good enough
just to use that browser instead of using chrome since there both chromium based,and only have one browser on your system
since google is a hefty install something like 450mb without a lot of extensions or will you still use a multiple browsers.

and do you think Thoma Bravo will buy firefox to :eek:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
ok so most of you think firefox will not be as good but now the question is do you think that the new edge will be good enough
just to use that browser instead of using chrome since there both chromium based,and only have one browser on your system
since google is a hefty install something like 450mb without a lot of extensions or will you still use a multiple browsers.

and do you think Thoma Bravo will buy firefox to :eek:
I have switched from Chrome months ago for the Dev version of Edge as it's faster and more responsive. With Microsoft behind it it actually has a fighting chance against Chrome to take some significant market share that is dangerously getting close to a Chrome monopoly on the desktop market...

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I have some rendering problems in some pages that never happened in the Dev versions...

This page, for instance:

Edge Dev:

2019-10-25 (3).png

And here on Edge Final. Notice how it cuts a part in the middle page.

2019-10-25 (2).png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.