Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Something else, i just discovered today that some video's on facebook didnt load and stay white with stable 79 ... than i tested the same on the Dev version and this worked without any problem, i have send feedback to MS to resolve this issue.

• Thanks
Reactions: oldschool
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Is there an easy way to organize bookmarks? I imported mine from Firefox, which creates a folder for them. But other than copying and then pasting them outside the folder, I haven't discovered another way to do it. Thanks.
You have the collections thingy, look like a fancy bookmark system.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft advisory shows whether Edge keeps up with Chrome's patching
The advisory will be updated when Microsoft releases a new version of Edge that includes publicly disclosed security updates from the Chromium project.
Article by Gregg Keizer:
Microsoft Security Advisory:

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
The ServiceWorker API in Microsoft Edge is enabled as in Chrome.
You can check with the test below:

see in:

Network Features Detection

you can also do this more comprehensive test:

This API is known for:

P.S.

In firefox-based browsers you can check:

"dom.serviceWorkers"

In Chrome-based browsers it is possible to insert a rule in UBO and Umatrix to block this API.
For example with UBO the rule is as follows:

*$csp=worker-src 'none'

but this rule also blocks in Web Workers so exceptions must be inserted when needed.
Example:

*$csp=worker-src 'none',domain=~mediafire.com

(These rules have been highlighted on W.S.F. by the summerheat user).

With Umatrix this global rule must be entered:

no-workers: * true

(This rule was created by me on March 4th 2019).

P.S.

Who wants to disable also in web workers in firefox-based browsers must modify:

"dom.workers.enabled"

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Tuesday - Wednesday - Thursday and counting. With 10 fixes rates as high, I am getting out of my comfort zone with Edge-Chromium.

Woolys has already released V80 on wednesday. Remember with UAC set to validate admin code signatures (deny elevation of unsigned), chromium is a good alternative to Edge-chromium's flag (de-elevate browser on launch).

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft's new Edge browser, based on the Chromium project, was released on January 15, and it's meant to replace the existing version based on UWP, now referred to as Legacy Edge. The browser has a few new features compared to the previous version, including Collections and support for Chrome extensions. But that's not all - according to the PCMark 10 benchmark, the new browser also has better performance.

UL Benchmarks, the company behind the benchmarking tool, announced today that the PCMark 10 Applications Benchmark shows that the new Edge browser "at least" 10% more performant than the UWP version. The Chromium-based Edge received a total score of 9,631, well above the 8,435 of its predecessor.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Tuesday - Wednesday - Thursday and counting. With 10 fixes rates as high, I am getting out of my comfort zone with Edge-Chromium.

Woolys has already released V80 on wednesday. Remember with UAC set to validate admin code signatures (deny elevation of unsigned), chromium is a good alternative to Edge-chromium's flag (de-elevate browser on launch).
Just updated to version 80.0.361.48.
4 days later, good or bad?

polishpatriot

Level 2
Feb 4, 2020
There is no real advantage to switch from the Dev version to the "Stable" or "General Availability" version.

One again Microsoft says it is going to do something, yet it does not follow through (Jan 15 and replacement of EdgeHTML with msedge.exe).

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I can't enable the option. Mine is greyed out?

Yes, it's ordinarily greyed out. When I changed the regular tracking prevention to "Balanced" I was able to toggle the radio button to "Always Use Strict Tracking Prevention when Browsing In-Private." I actually don't understand this, whether this is an intended thing. I just happened to change the tracking settings on a whim.

Edit: I toggled my tracking back to Strict. Don't use In-Private browsing anyway. Maybe Strict covers both scenarios but not sure about this.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Yes, it's ordinarily greyed out. When I changed the regular tracking prevention to "Balanced" I was able to toggle the radio button to "Always Use Strict Tracking Prevention when Browsing In-Private." I actually don't understand this, whether this is an intended thing. I just happened to change the tracking settings on a whim.

Edit: I toggled my tracking back to Strict. Don't use In-Private browsing anyway. Maybe Strict covers both scenarios but not sure about this.

I think your hunch is correct. It bumps up to Strict in private browsing if you're normally in Basic or Balanced.

I don't use In Private browsing either. Straight up Strict + Privacy Possum + Decentraleyes. I like this set-and-forget solution and will keep it for now. Any breakage I see is very minor, with no loss of functionality.

Last edited:

cliffspab

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
For some reason, using any of the Chromium Edge builds knocks about a quarter off my speed test results. I go from 200Mbits+ to about 150Mbits.

I'm still trying to diagnose why that might be. Does anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Fiddled with the priorities in my Killer Control Centre settings and that seems to have fixed it.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
My sync option is greyd out and edge is temporally incapable of syncing...

Are you signed-in with a M$ account?

Capture.PNG

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.