Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

polishpatriot

Level 2
Feb 4, 2020
As an old sage said: "knowledge is power, the best tool will fail in the hand of the non-initiate"

Playing with sec softs and having oneself validated (one's sec soft choices affirmed) by participating on a forum are more important.

You know what I am saying is true. Post something that certain individuals here don't like and they get all uppity upset. It doesn't matter to them that what I posted is fact or truth. And what I post is irrefutable. So they can't argue that what I posted is wrong.

Reactions: [correlate]

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@Marko :)

Yes Google has Safe Browsing Protection and yes that sends only hashes, while Microsofts Smartscreen sends full URL's that is why I said all things being equal (except).

Many people use Google automatic login to sync stuff and get the comfort of a single user signon to all services and apps using Google Identification Platform. Facebook provides a similar service. Even when you opt out Facebook and Google are not stopping data collection, they just limit the data provided to their partner network. The question marks refers to the scope and width Facebook and Google argue that the collected data is needed to 'optimize' their services. In an ideal world Google and Facebook do collect just what is needed when you opt-out, privacy paranoids say that history shows that F+G always crossed the line, so it is naive to believe them on their word. When you were not aware of Google-ID (or Facebook's equivalent) then this post provided you with information, but you are probabaly as confused as before reading this answer. Let me reassure you: I am confused also, hence the ?true or fairy tale?

polishpatriot

Level 2
Feb 4, 2020
@Marko :)

Yes Google has Safe Browsing Protection and yes that sends only hashes, while Microsofts Smartscreen sends full URL's that is why I said all things being equal (except).

Many people use Google automatic login to sync stuff and get the comfort of a single user signon to all services and apps using Google Identification Platform. Facebook provides a similar service. Even when you opt out Facebook and Google are not stopping data collection, they just limit the data provided to their partner network. The question marks refers to the scope and width Facebook and Google argue that the collected data is needed to 'optimize' their services. In an ideal world Google and Facebook do collect just what is needed when you opt-out, privacy paranoids say that history shows that F+G always crossed the line, so it is naive to believe them on their word. When you were not aware of Google-ID (or Facebook's equivalent) then this post provided you with information, but you are probabaly as confused as before reading this answer. Let me reassure you: I am confused also, hence the ?true or fairy tale?

It's a fairy tale that is completely real in your mind. And with that, the marketers have succeeded.

Last edited:
Reactions: [correlate]

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
There is no way of completely blocking Facebook and Google data collection. If you do manage to block their million web addresses, a lot of websites would simply stop working because they rely on their technologies. Also, Google will always have some info about you, even if you don't use their services or web completely.

For example, a lot of your friends have your phone number in their contacts list. Most of them probably use Android too. Android, by default, has Google account synchronization turned on. So, even if you don't have a Google account, or you don't use their services, they'll still have your name as well as your phone number.

The point is, no matter what you do, Google will have at least some bit of your data and you can't prevent that.

Now, back on the thread - I'd certanly always choose Chrome over Microsoft Edge. I do use some Google's services, but even if I didn't, I would still choose Chrome over Edge.
Sending full URL-s, including private information, like exact URL hashes are huge NO for me, at least. It's even worse that browser is said to be privacy-consious whilst still collecting what shouldn't have been collected at all.
Besides that, Edge doesn't really offer anything new and what you can't get everything easily in Chrome. It's literally Chrome, with filter like EasyPrivacy and with 3rd party cookies disabled.

Last edited:

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
So what i thought was F secure being crazy i found out why it was mysteriously detecting files without being able to delete them... I actually feel like a complete utter idiot... The new microsoft edge saves downloaded files which F secure was detecting as malicious in the download history but essentially the files did not exist which is why F secure would not remove them. but by deleting the files from the download history F secure will no longer detect them. This fixes my problem with F secure....

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
It's a fairy tale that is completely real in your mind. And with that, the marketers have succeeded.

You know what I am saying is true.
Now let me repeat that 'I know that you know you are right' and I am the only one who is imagining this fairy tale in my mind. This response is for other forum members interested in this (true or fairy tale) controversy.

Ever wondered how Google can tell website owners metrics about "unique visitors"? Google mentions that besides the Google Analytics cookies it can also provide more accurate website visitor tracking with User ID and Client ID. User ID is when you log-in to Google, Client ID represents a device browser. Look for third-party requests to ID.GOOGLE.COM (and to ID.GOOGLE.PL when you are living in Poland), pay specific attention to the generated tracking pixel: google.com/verify/random-generated-name.gif.

Google earns billions with targeted advertising through user tracking (over devices). Being an innovative tech company it would be tempting to use all their technological means (operating systems, browser, search engine and cloud services) for big data collection. For most privacy aware people this this feels like asking the 'cat to guard the cream' or 'a fox to watch the hen house'.

Not surprisingly when Chrome browser first launched, rumors were spread that the browser itself had an unique-ID to track users. The response of Google was that it was nonsense, the ID-was only used to track the (successful) rollout of the new browser. In 2018 Brave developers accused Google (again) of secretly tracking users with their browser. The response of Google was that it was nonsense and it was only used to measure-end-to-end-latency. This 2018 controversy even got publicity in mass media (BBC's easy to read article on Google's-secret-tracking-pages-explained).

I thought I put this issue forward in a non-judging manner, apparently something got lost in translation from Dutch to English. Apologize for that. I am not a privacy fear-monger. I accept that big data collection is a fact of life. Just wanted to mention that in the light of this controversy, it might help to use a non-Google browser (and search engine).

I don't have the illusion that Microsoft is better than Google, Facebook, Apple, Amazon or Netflix in terms of privacy and data collection. I have the (maybe naive) thought that distributing my digital footprint over different companies, helps to blur the picture (of my consumer profile) a little. Therefore I am using Edge-chromium for daily browsing (mostly visiting bookmarked websites) and using Opera for surfing (blocking third-party by default).

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
In case that someone don't know where to find that setting about Adobe-Flash, screenshot below:

edge.png

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I still don't get it why Microsoft re-add flash to new Edge anyway. Flash is dead and only a security madness.

Same problem with flash in windows 10..
because people still use it, and when you want be successful in business, you don't remove stuff that people uses even if you don't like it.
As Spoke once said "the needs of the many overweight the needs of the few"

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft syncs Edge's release to Chrome's cadence
It looks like Microsoft plans to update its Chromium-based Edge browser at about the same pace Google updates its Chrome browser:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.