1592482422100.png

S M G

Level 2
Feb 18, 2020

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well somewhere between now and like 12 hours ago, Edge updated to 83.0.478.54. Yep, "4" at the end.

On one hand, that's good because a high-severity vulnerability was patched. On the other, it updated silently. Only thing Event Viewer says is: "the operation completed successfully" about 20 times. But yeah, update did happen eventually. 😗:coffee:🍊

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
This is a particularly interesting change for Windows 7 users, because the OS hasn't been supported since January. The only users that are supposed to get updates are those paying for Extended Security Updates; however, it seems that Microsoft is willing to pick up Edge users wherever it can.

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014

Attachments

• Microsoft Edge Chromemium 01.jpg
    Microsoft Edge Chromemium 01.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 206

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft Edge VersionDate ReleasedBased on Chromium VersionHighest Severity Fix in ReleaseCVEs
83.0.478.556/24/202083.0.4103.116HighCVE-2020-6509

Thanks (y) After a manual check for updates I get 83.0.478.56.

Version 83.0.478.56: June 24
Fixed various bugs and performance issues.

Security updates are listed here

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Microsoft has acknowledged an issue affecting all versions of the Edge browser that results in YouTube videos failing to play when AdBlock or AdBlock Plus extensions are enabled. The Redmond giant said in a Tech Community post that it investigated the possible bug based on user feedback. The problem currently affects the browser on all operating systems.

Users reported being served with an error or a blank screen when trying to play videos on the YouTube website. The issue was faced by users that had the ad-blocking extensions enabled. Currently, the only workaround for the issue for those that are facing it is to disable the extensions and reload the page to play the video.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Back in March, Microsoft announced a bunch of features coming to its Edge browser, including vertical tabs, Collections for the mobile client, and more. Another feature was Password Monitor, a nifty tool in the browser that scans users’ saved passwords against a database of “known breached credentials” to ascertain if the passwords face the risk of being compromised.

Now, the company has announced (spotted by Techdows) that the tool is rolling out to users running Insider builds of the Edge browser. The Canary and Dev channels should be receiving the feature first, with the Beta channel following them. The rollout is staggered, meaning that not all users will see the feature show up right away and it might be a few days till it is deployed to everyone. Users will have to be logged in to their personal Microsoft accounts, or school or work accounts to be able to receive this feature.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Microsoft decided to upgrade Edge to the Chromium version today, so I allowed it and did the restart. (I'm on 1909.) It removed my one add-on (Nano) but left my few bookmarks. It offered to import from Firefox, which I declined. Surprisingly, it retained most of my privacy settings. I reinstalled Nano and tested it briefly. It's working OK so far, and actually handles PDF files better than classic Edge (I can copy links now!), which is important to me because that's the main thing I use Edge for.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Microsoft decided to upgrade Edge to the Chromium version today, so I allowed it and did the restart. (I'm on 1909.) It removed my one add-on (Nano) but left my few bookmarks. It offered to import from Firefox, which I declined. Surprisingly, it retained most of my privacy settings. I reinstalled Nano and tested it briefly. It's working OK so far, and actually handles PDF files better than classic Edge (I can copy links now!), which is important to me because that's the main thing I use Edge for.
Welcome to new Edge team

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Stupid question of the day :rolleyes: - I look after quite a few PC's here & there, a few already have Edge on some not. As I need inform the none Edge users they going to get it anyway so they not surprised (most not tech savvy) What will happen if a user already has Edge installed & WU swings into action with the Edge install?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Stupid question of the day :rolleyes: - I look after quite a few PC's here & there, a few already have Edge on some not. As I need inform the none Edge users they going to get it anyway so they not surprised (most not tech savvy) What will happen if a user already has Edge installed & WU swings into action with the Edge install?
From: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4541301/the-new-microsoft-edge-is-available
This update includes the following quality improvements:
  • Start menu pins, tiles, and shortcuts for the current version of Microsoft Edge will migrate to the new Microsoft Edge.
  • Taskbar pins and shortcuts for the current version of Microsoft Edge will migrate to the new Microsoft Edge.
  • The new Microsoft Edge will be pinned to the taskbar. If the current version of Microsoft Edge is already pinned, it will be replaced.
  • The new Microsoft Edge will add a shortcut to the desktop. If the current version of Microsoft Edge already has a shortcut, it will be replaced.
  • By default, most protocols that Microsoft Edge handles will be migrated to the new Microsoft Edge.
  • The current version of Microsoft Edge will be hidden from UX surfaces in the OS. This includes settings, applications, and any file or protocol support dialog boxes.
  • Attempts to start the current version of Microsoft Edge will redirect to the new Microsoft Edge.
  • The First Run Experience (FRE) will auto-launch the first time that a device restarts after the new Microsoft Edge is installed.
  • Data from earlier versions of Microsoft Edge (such as passwords, favorites, open tabs) will be available in the new Microsoft Edge.
  • This new Microsoft Edge does not support uninstalling of this update.
  • To view supported features, please see the Microsoft Edge Platform Status.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.