Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I haven’t enabled the Sleeping Tabs flag in the Edge://flags, but suddenly, today, I got a pop up introducing Sleeping Tabs!

Then I put the Vertical Tabs flag to the Default state, assuming that I would get another pop-up soon introducing Vertical Tabs.

Any idea?

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 85179

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
Still getting high cpu; seems to be the new tab as shown in the browser task manager.

Untitled.png

apparently edge beta does not have this problem as per this Reddit thread :rolleyes:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
OK, here's the fix that worked for me with Edge's horrible delays in not only launch but webpage loading, immediately following the latest update. When I'm finished posting this, I am going to reward myself with a large chunk of Raspberry Danish.

While waiting for Edge to open, I noticed something in small text in the lower left corner about waiting to load a proxy. So, I went to Edge Settings, typed "proxy" in the search bar and then "open your computer's proxy settings." I then toggled the "automatically detect settings" radio button to "off"--it had been ON. Walla! Fast, fast, fast. Dism..../restorehealth made the initial opening of Edge super fast again also. Something was messed up on here for sure. Not sure if this would apply to anyone but it sure fixed things for me.

Also, during my attempts to fix Edge, I noticed that one cannot uninstall it anymore, either from Programs and Features or from Settings/Apps and Features. One can only "change" and "modify" it respectively, and I'm not sure what that actually does. The only thing I outwardly noticed was my desktop icons refreshing. Nothing else. Hmmm, probably this is pertaining to Insider build 19042.782 (Beta channel). So if it's currently not in place on released Windows, get ready for it coming up.

Edit to add a brief clip showing before and after with that proxy setting enabled and then disabled. Good, Edge is useable for me again. I don't have the patience for 2-3 seconds' worth of webpage loading anymore. I guess I'm spoiled now.

@TairikuOkami had a similar problem a few days ago. This may help him.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Yeah my observation on the previous page is still true: Edge is very jittery in Task Manager, taking much longer than Opera to calm down and when it does, it's only for a moment before spiking all over again. Probably part of the same issue. I agree though; at this point, it's not to where I'm wanting to install another version of the browser but it's something to keep an eye on periodically,

Hopefully, this version 88.0.705.50 is replaced soon--it did not start off well for some, myself included. Nice and fast, though. (y)

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I already got this notification in Edge 88 but not for Vertical Tabs yet, anyway I enabled Vertical Tabs via flags.
1611614448064.png

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
This also makes sense. Why should sleep the CPU for none reason?
Same for RAM. Not using it (if free) is only waste of hardware
Agree partially, if more than 30% CPU is often being used by browsers, that's bad for your device as laptop: battery power, CPU-fan...

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Yep, not available for me either, but I'm not sure if I will ever use it...
Using Bitwarden for my passwords I have disabled sync and storage for passwords in Edge.
You need all that for it to work.
Did the Vertical Tabs arrive?!?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Edge update today to version 88.0.705.62 with the security updates from chromium 88.0.4324.146:
I believe not patched yet for the latest CVE-2021-21148 that was patched in chromium 88.0.4324.150:
Google is aware of reports that an exploit for CVE-2021-21148 exists in the wild.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
February 5, 2021
Microsoft has released the latest Microsoft Edge Stable Channel (Version 88.0.705.63), which incorporates the latest Security Updates of the Chromium project. This update contains CVE-2021-21148 which has been reported by the Chromium team as having an exploit in the wild. For more information, see the Security Update Guide.
So now fully patched (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.