Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
I clicked on the notification bell and to the right of each item in the list I clicked on not interested or something to that effect.
Thanks. I'd not noticed the three dots -> "Turn off.....notifications"
png_11764.png

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I clicked on the notification bell and to the right of each item in the list I clicked on not interested or something to that effect. The red numbers disappeared and eventually (can't remember how long) the notification bell also disappeared on it's own. This worked for all three of my browser profiles
Awesome! Next time I get some red numbers, this is what I will do. Dark mode makes those three dots a little less obvious, right? Thanks very much! (y)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
August 19, 2021
Microsoft has released the latest Microsoft Edge Stable Channel (Version 92.0.902.78), which incorporates the latest Security Updates of the Chromium project. For more information, see the Security Update Guide
Microsoft Edge VersionDate ReleasedBased on Chromium Version
92.0.902.788/19/202192.0.4515.159

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I clicked on the notification bell and to the right of each item in the list I clicked on not interested or something to that effect. The red numbers disappeared and eventually (can't remember how long) the notification bell also disappeared on it's own. This worked for all three of my browser profiles. Good luck! (y)
This is what I have on the latest Edge: New Tab Page > settings > page layout > custom > content off = no notification icon (bell). Finally! 👏👏👏 :cool:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
What does this do actually? I mean the second option at the bottom, which I turned it off.
View attachment 260263
This setting is for preloading the new tab page content, i.e. news feed, etc. so the page loads faster. Generally, for security and privacy for general surfing pre-loading (or prefetching) is not advised - but in the case of the new tab page I believe it's not so important and is really a matter of personal preference. I keep NTP very clean, with no content, so it doesn't really matter much either way.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Yeah but now there's an unwanted space between the Bing stuff and Settings gear, plus the two icons don't line up exactly.

I am still hopeful and cautiously optimistic the Edge engineers will get it right before the end of 2021.
Yeah right :ROFLMAO::whistle::coffee:

Indeed. At least they appear to have fixed the "Blocked trackers" logging. It was resetting to "0" when clearing browser data on exit. I recently sent a bug report about this and the notifications PITA and have no idea whether it helped or not. I'm more optimistic about Edge developers than the knuckleheads working on Windows 11. Are those people high or simply dysfunctional like W11? ;)

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
This setting is for preloading the new tab page content, i.e. news feed, etc. so the page loads faster. Generally, for security and privacy for general surfing pre-loading (or prefetching) is not advised - but in the case of the new tab page I believe it's not so important and is really a matter of personal preference. I keep NTP very clean, with no content, so it doesn't really matter much either way.
I used to use the Microsoft Edge Addons but now deleted it and use the new built in method. Thanks.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Version 93.0.961.38: September 02
Stable channel security updates are listed here.
Feature updates
  • Initial Preferences in Microsoft Edge. Microsoft Edge now supports a limited number of Initial Preferences (formerly Master Preferences). IT admins can deploy these settings as default before the browser is run for the first time by their users. Additional information here: Configure Microsoft Edge using Initial Preferences settings for the first run.
  • IE mode on Microsoft Edge will support "no-merge" behavior. For an end-user, when a new browser window is launched from an IE mode application, it will be in a separate session, similar to the no-merge behavior in IE11. You will need to adjust your site list to configure sites that need to prevent session sharing as "no-merge". Behind the scenes, for each window of Microsoft Edge, the first time an IE mode tab is visited within that window, if it is one of the designated “no-merge” sites, that window is locked into a different “no-merge” IE session from all other Microsoft Edge windows at least until the last IE mode tab is closed in that window. This follows previous behavior where users could launch IE with no-merge and could also launch Microsoft Edge without no-merge via other mechanisms. Additional information here: IE mode troubleshooting and FAQ | Microsoft Docs
  • New policy to stop implicit sign in. The ImplicitSignInEnabled policy allows system administrators to disable implicit sign-in on Microsoft Edge browsers.
  • Policies to bypass ClickOnce and DirectInvoke prompts.We have updated our policies to enable bypassing ClickOnce's prompts and DirectInvoke's app for specified file types, from specified domains. To do this, you will need to:
Note: AutoOpenAllowedForURLs is a supporter policy for AutoOpenFileTypes. If AutoOpenAllowedForURLs is not set and AutoOpenFileTypes is set, then file types listed will automatically open from all URLs.
  • Tab Groups. We are turning on tab grouping which provides the ability to categorize tabs into user-defined groups and helps you more effectively find, switch and manage tabs across multiple workstreams.
  • Hide the title bar while using Vertical Tabs. Get the extra few pixels back by hiding the browser's title bar, while in Vertical Tabs. Now you can go to edge://settings/appearance and under the Customize Toolbar section select the option to hide the title bar while in Vertical Tab mode.
  • Video Picture in Picture (PiP) from hover toolbar. When you hover over a supported video, a toolbar will appear that allows you to view that video in a PiP window. Please note: this is currently available for Microsoft Edge users on macOS.
  • Removal of 3DES in TLS. Support for the TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA cipher suite will be removed. This change is happening in the Chromium project, on which Microsoft Edge is based. For more information, navigate to the Chrome Platform Status entry. Additionally, in Microsoft Edge version 93, the TripleDESEnabled policy will be available to support scenarios that need to preserve compatibility with outdated servers. This compatibility policy will become obsolete and stop working in Microsoft Edge version 95. Ensure that you update affected servers before then.
Microsoft has released the latest Microsoft Edge Stable Channel (Version 93.0.961.38), which incorporates the latest Security Updates of the Chromium project. For more information, see the Security Update Guide

This update contains the following Microsoft Edge-specific update:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Microsoft Edge 93 released with Tab Groups and Vertical Tabs improvements​

Tab Group functionality has been under development for a long time. It comes from Chromium, and browsers such as Google Chrome support it already. Microsoft introduces support for Tab Groups in Edge 93 officially.

Right-click on a tab that is open in Microsoft Edge and select the "add tab to group" option from the context menu. You may assign custom names and colors to each group to distinguish them from each other.

Once you have at least one group set up, you may assign tabs to that group or create new groups for it.

Groups can be collapsed or expanded, and Edge remembers groups across sessions if you have configured the browser to load the last browsing session on start.

edge add tab to group

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Are you using an adblocker?
I was, by itself for awhile and later with Privacy Badger just to compare performance.
Perhaps the adblocker intervenes before Edge tracking protection steps in.
Built-in adblocking always precedes any extension. The strange thing is that once I substituted µBO for PB Google started appearing at the top of the blocked tracker list.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.