Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
My 2 Cents: I'm almost embarrassed to admit that aside from the telemetry and feature bloat, I think Edge is one thing that M$ is doing pretty darn well. I find it to be the most visually appealing, efficiently designed and user-oriented browser to date.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
My 2 Cents: I'm almost embarrassed to admit that aside from the telemetry and feature bloat, I think Edge is one thing that M$ is doing pretty darn well. I find it to be the most visually appealing, efficiently designed and user-oriented browser to date.
(y)
Very true. I used chrome so long without thinking about changing. But then I read here on MT how nice the new Edge was, so I tried it. I have not been looking back. It's just better IMO. :)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Release notes for Microsoft Edge Stable Channel​

Edge 95.0.1020.30
Microsoft has released a security advisory for the Edge browser as of October 21, 2021, updating the browser to version 95.0.1020.30. The update also closed security vulnerabilities reported to the Chromium team.

The release notes doesn't contain any information about new features, but the update page lists the following CVEs as closed. Microsoft emailed me the following security information last night.

Title: Microsoft Security Update Releases
Issued: 0October 21, 2021

Summary
=======

The following Chrome CVE has been released on October 21, 2021.

* CVE-2021-42307

CVE-2021-42307 | Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based) Information Disclosure
Vulnerability
– Version 1.0
– Reason for Revision: Information published.
– Originally posted: October 21, 2021
– Updated: N/A
– Aggregate CVE Severity Rating: Low

The following CVEs were assigned by Chrome. Microsoft Edge
(Chromium-based) ingests Chromium, which addresses these vulnerabilities. Please see
Google Chrome Releases for more information.

See msrc-blog.microsoft.com for more information about third-party CVEs in the Security Update Guide.

* CVE-2021-37981
* CVE-2021-37982
* CVE-2021-37983
* CVE-2021-37984
* CVE-2021-37985
* CVE-2021-37986
* CVE-2021-37987
* CVE-2021-37988
* CVE-2021-37989
* CVE-2021-37990
* CVE-2021-37991
* CVE-2021-37992
* CVE-2021-37993
* CVE-2021-37996
* CVE-2021-37994
* CVE-2021-37995

Revision Information:
=====================

– Version 1.0
– Reason for Revision: Information published.
– Originally posted: October 21, 2021

The browser should update automatically, but can also be downloaded here.
Feature updates
  • View in File Explorer support for SharePoint Online libraries in Microsoft Edge. Now you can enable the View in File Explorer capability on SharePoint Online Modern Document Libraries. For this experience to be visible and work for your users, you need to enable the Microsoft Edge policy Configure the View in File Explorer feature for SharePoint pages in Microsoft Edge and update your SharePoint Online tenant configuration. Learn more: View SharePoint files with File Explorer in Microsoft Edge.
  • Intranet zone file URL links will open in Windows File Explorer. You can allow file URL links to intranet zone files originating from intranet zone HTTPS websites to open Windows File Explorer for that file or directory. You can enable this experience using the IntranetFileLinksEnabled policy.
  • Improvements to the downloads experience. Support for the download user experience is extended to progressive web applications PWAs and WebView. We will also begin to support drag and drop to the File Explorer and Desktop.
  • Pick up where you left off on PDF documents. You will now be able to resume reading from where you last closed your PDF document.
  • Efficiency mode extends battery life when your laptop enters battery saver mode. Efficiency mode will become active when your laptop enters battery saver mode to allow the browser to manage resource usage to extend the battery life of your machine. You will have four options when efficiency mode becomes active: Unplugged and low battery, Unplugged, Always, and Never. Note: This feature is a Controlled Feature Rollout. If you don’t see this feature, check back shortly as we continue our rollout.
  • Free form text boxes added to PDF documents. We now support adding free form text boxes to PDF documents. You can use these boxes to fill in forms and add visible notes.
  • Citation support added to Collections. We've improved the Collections experience, especially for students and researchers. Collections will start supporting citations and reading lists.
  • Update your passwords faster and with fewer clicks. The browser will now take you directly to the Change Password page for a given website. This action saves you time and clicks by removing the need to navigate to the page manually. After you’re on this page, the browser will also autofill your existing password and suggest a strong, unique new password. Note: Currently this feature is only available on a limited number of sites.
  • Auto-account creation. We now provide additional support on Sign-Up pages by allowing you to create an online account with one click. You can do this by selecting the suggestion drop-down when you click on any form field in the Sign-Up form. Doing so will show not only information relevant to the Sign-Up form, but also a strong new password suggestion. Upon selection, all the relevant information gets populated in the respective fields and the suggested password will be automatically stored on submission to the website. Note: Currently this feature is only available on a limited number of sites.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I agree. They have really done a great job with Edge. Kudos to the team. Edge made me switch from Firefox as my default browser. Currently, I use Firefox for YouTube only. YouTube videos look a lot better in Firefox (for me at least).
(y) Agree with you all, really enjoying Edge stable and even installed it on my Android phone.
Same here. Edge on both PC and Android.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
@SeriousHoax Have you tried Edge Canary for YouTube?
It's Chromium engine's hardware acceleration related issue. The main issue is blurry image rendering of any Chromium based browsers and in some cases affects videos too.
You may check this thread to learn about it:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
They have added more bloat, no idea whats the point of this
1635309053835.png

morebloaat.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
They have added more bloat, no idea whats the point of this
View attachment 261521
View attachment 261520
How to turn off Notifications Icon on Microsoft Edge New Tab Page
While everything can be controlled when comes to the Microsoft Edge’s New Tab Page, not the bell icon that shows notifications count.

Since Edge’s launch, till now, Microsoft hasn’t offered an option to get rid of it.

The settings option still not working as of writing the article.

The notifications icon has been expanded and now appearing on NTP in several countries, not just United States.

Disable or turn off Notifications Icon on Microsoft Edge New Tab Page
  1. Launch Microsoft Edge browser
  2. Open NTP, click on the bell icon
  3. Click on the three-dot icon for a Top Story card and select “Turn off all news notifications
  4. Done. If you now click the bell icon, you’ll be told all notifications have been caught up.
Microsoft is aware of this for months but has yet to roll out a fix. Let us hope Redmond giant takes this as a high priority and addresses it in the future.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
  1. Launch Microsoft Edge browser
  2. Open NTP, click on the bell icon
  3. Click on the three-dot icon for a Top Story card and select “Turn off all news notifications
  4. Done. If you now click the bell icon, you’ll be told all notifications have been caught up.
I already did this thrice since last night and they still came back eventually.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.