Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

AppContainer is back for renderer process Microsoft Edge Browser Policy Documentation
Edge renderer process has two security advantages over other Chromium browsers: Code Integrity Guard and AppContainer

1637691943834.png

When you enable AppContainer, you can't use DNS over HTTPS from within browser options anymore. Therefore create a regfile with below content. When you would like to use a different DNS than QUAD9, replace
"https://dns.quad9.net/dns-query" with the URL or your preferred DNS service.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge]
"RendererAppContainerEnabled"=dword:00000001
"DnsOverHttpsMode"="secure"
"DnsOverHttpsTemplates"="https://dns.quad9.net/dns-query"

Last edited by a moderator:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Here is what is new in Microsoft Edge 96​

Here is the list of the other improvements in Microsoft Edge 96:
  • Math Solver is now available in Microsoft Edge. It helps solve "a wide range of mathematical concepts", including elementary arithmetic, quadratic equations and calculus. It supports taking pictures of math problems to get them solved with step-by-step instructions provided by Edge.
  • Edge's Immersive Reader feature has a new Dictionary icon. It may be used to look up word definitions and spelling information.
  • New warning if so-called Typosquatting sites are accessed (sites that look similar to legitimate sites). Typosquatting sites usually use an URL that is very similar to another, often by changing a single letter or number, or making use of typos.
  • Progressive Web Apps can be launched via protocol links now.
  • The built-in PDF Reader supports Freeform highlighting.
  • Control-flow Enforcement technology, which makes the browsing mode safer according to Microsoft. Only supported on Intel 11th Gen or AMD Zen 3).

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Curious how the new warning if so-called Typosquatting sites are accessed works.
Do you have to use Bing as default search engine for that?

I don't know and haven't tried yet, my search engine is most of time: Duck...
Maybe other Edge users can tell us more on upcoming days.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
AppContainer is back for renderer process Microsoft Edge Browser Policy Documentation
Edge renderer process has two security advantages over other Chromium browsers: Code Integrity Guard and AppContainer

View attachment 262147

When you enable AppContainer, you can't use DNS over HTTPS from within browser options anymore. Therefore create a regfile with below content. When you would like to use a different DNS than QUAD9, replace
"https://dns.quad9.net/dns-query" with the URL or your preferred DNS service.

"DnsOverHttpsTemplates"="https://dns.quad9.net/dns-query"
EDIT 2: i just skipped accidentaly last page and it can be enable throught registry hack or GPE, and will be back with future releases , if not already . Sorry

Sorry for dumb question but how do i enable appcontainer?
I went trought urls
1637757820773.png

Application guard is on & i know how to use code integrity guard. Id like to know how to enable appcontainer, im going to do some research for now. I think adguard + dnscrypt ( quad9 ) will still work without register editing?

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

@Moonhorse

Save the text in red starting below the underscores (______) in a text file with .REG as file extension and click on it to change it in the registry.
Close and start the browser and you are good to go.

"DnsOverHttpsTemplates"="https://dns.adguard.com/dns-query"

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft's Buy Now, Pay Later integration in Edge is highly controversial
Microsoft announced a new addition to the company's Microsoft Edge web browser in mid-November. Available only in Insider Builds of Edge at the time, the feature was rolled out in Edge 96 Stable recently.

Microsoft decided to add support for a Buy Now, Pay Later service, provided by ZIP, into Edge. Services such as Zip or Afterpay offer so-called Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL) services. Shoppers may use them to get items that they buy right away and pay for these items in installments over time.

Microsoft partnered with Zip and Edge users may use the Zip service when they make purchases between $35 and $1000 in the browser, even if the shopping site does not support it.

Edge's integrated BNPL is limited to paying back the owed money in 4 installments over 6 weeks.

Microsoft notes that the integration improves the application process.

Applying BNPL could take time, you need to sign in with zip every single time. With BNPL in Edge, you can simply link your Microsoft account with your zip account with one click and then bypass sign in from Zip side. It can expedite the application process for you.

What Microsoft fails to reveal in the announcement is that Zip is only available in certain regions. According to the homepage, Zip is available in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Mexico.
Reception has been bad

Microsoft's own blog post on the Insider blog received more than 110 comments at the time of writing. The majority of comments are negative towards the feature. Some see it as unnecessary bloat that is added to the browser, others mention that Microsoft did not mention the $4 processing fee or how it benefits from the integration.

Here are a few examples:

This should be an extension at best. It is not a feature I'm looking for in any browser. Microsoft is a multi-billion dollar company. I doubt whatever Zip is paying you is worth the negative press this will generate. (user bdpatton)

Also made an account just to reply. I love the new Edge and I've been using it since it came out. Seriously, don't support this. No one needs this. BNPL is just an enabler for people who have a problem. No one should finance online purchases that small. This kind of functionality should definitely, 100%, not be in any browser ever. Please don't add to the debt problems people already have. (user amsprich)

Looks like you neglected to mention the $4 flat fee in the article?

On a $35 purchase, that's 11% of the purchase cost spread over one month. Annualized, that's an astounding 250% APY. Even the most predatory credit cards top out at around 40% APY.

All you've done is just baked predatory loans into your browser. Honestly, you should be ashamed. (user JemmaScout)

Articles, such as Microsoft Edge’s new ‘Buy now, pay later’ feature is the definition of bloatware on XDA Developers, or Paul Thurott's Microsoft Continues to Bog Down Edge with Unnecessary Bloat, criticize the integration of the feature.

XDA Developers point out that Zip is already available as an app and a Chrome browser extension, and that Buy Now, Pay Later schemes are designed to get people to make more purchases than they would otherwise.
There’s a simple answer to this problem, of course: Edge should simply advertise optional features during its first-run experience so that users who do want this dreck can add them. And then it can advertise optional new features, once, to existing users when they are made available. I know. It’s almost too elegant.

As for this BNPL nonsense, this feature is currently available in the Microsoft Edge Canary and Dev channels. But it will be made available by default to all users in Microsoft Edge in version 96. So enjoy that credit application process the first time you use it. But, seriously. Don’t use it.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Microsoft's Buy Now, Pay Later integration in Edge is highly controversial.

For some shopping-addicted or otherwise careless people, this will be trouble b/c otherwise one can simply ignore this bloat and move on. You know, there's been this hypocrisy concerning adware and potentially unwanted apps--to Microsoft, it's always the other guys. Meanwhile, every week or so, we're clicking away ads for this, that and the other on Edge's homepage. Boo!(n)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
For some shopping-addicted or otherwise careless people, this will be trouble b/c otherwise one can simply ignore this bloat and move on. You know, there's been this hypocrisy concerning adware and potentially unwanted apps--to Microsoft, it's always the other guys. Meanwhile, every week or so, we're clicking away ads for this, that and the other on Edge's homepage. Boo!(n)

Most browsers are pulling this stunt now - Edge, Brave, Firefox (VPN nag). Only alternatives are chromium, LibreWolf, etc. And noob users won't even know about these.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Most browsers are pulling this stunt now - Edge, Brave, Firefox (VPN nag). Only alternatives are chromium, LibreWolf, etc. And noob users won't even know about these.
The difference is M$ funds EDGE which is a Trillion dollar company. Brave and Firefox are not!
Google throws its weight behind Chrome as well. Now you expect fair competition in the browser market place?

If you run any type of business but you have Google and M$ in the same market has you and
Both of whom play by their own rules and rather pay Antitrust fines than loose precious market share from "fair competition"

Firefox can gladly nag me for a few pennies but not EDGE!

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

When IT or Tech get features I consider a security or privacy risk which others call progress or ease of use ...

... I am realizing I am getting old

That is why I like MT forum, there are other people sharing the same concerns

Last edited by a moderator:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
How to get more out of Edge (and bolster its security)
By tweaking a few important settings in Microsoft's browser, you can ensure your online surfing is more secure.
Though these changes will help make Edge more secure, my message to Microsoft is to keep working. Make Edge the best and most secure browser available, because that’s the feature we need most.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Users revolt as Microsoft bolts a short-term financing app onto Edge​

Microsoft says it “does not collect a fee for connecting users to loan providers,” but as numerous commenters below have pointed out, that statement has loopholes big enough to drive a truck through. A Microsoft spokeswoman declined to say if the company received other forms of remuneration.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.