Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I'm not so sure about that. M$ warns about website breakage with strict mode in Tracking Protection and I've never experienced any. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen to others.
Some shopping sites are broken for me with Strict Tracking enabled, but it's pretty rare.

When I tested Speedometer2.0 a few months ago, with Enhanced Security tuned on for the page, I got a much lower score. Don't really know what it means in real world usage.
I ran Speedometer 2.0 benchmark 4 times (for both) & it was ~40% faster w/o Enhanced Security compared to when it was enabled.

Edit: syntax
Avg score w/ - 95.95
Avg score w/o - 138.67

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Version 102.0.1245.41: June 14

Release notes tbc

No release notes yet, but in the Security Update Guide can be found:
Microsoft Edge VersionDate ReleasedBased on Chromium Version
102.0.1245.416/13/2022102.0.5005.115

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
" Microsoft added live captions support for all online videos to Microsoft Edge Stable quietly. The new feature is available as a preview at the time of writing. "
Available in Microsoft Edge 102 Stable and newer, live captions support adds captions to videos that play in the web browser. All it takes is to play a video in Edge, the browser takes care of the rest. Edge launches a small overlay on the screen that displays the captions.

You may move it around independently, even outside the borders of the Microsoft Edge window. Live Captions support needs to be enabled before it becomes available. Here is how that is done:
  1. Load edge://settings/accessibility in the Microsoft Edge address bar, or select Menu > Settings > Accessibility.
  2. Find the Captions group on the page and toggle "Live captions (Preview" to enable the feature. Edge downloads about 100 Megabytes of data that is required for the functionality.

microsoft edge enable live captions

Live Captions work immediately in the browser, a restart is not required. You may customize the appearance of captions under the Captions group. Select "customize caption appearance" to display a preview in the settings application and customize it.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Edge's sync history feature keeps breaking for me. It's the 4th/5th time this has happened. Even resetting sync doesn't work. Either it starts working automatically or it doesn't. Edge's synch servers seem unstable. Sometimes it connects to Southeast asia (which is the correct one), sometimes Japan, sometimes Australia on a single session.
So frustrating that it makes me wanna switch to Chrome which always works.

StRonK

Level 1
Apr 19, 2020
Edge's sync history feature keeps breaking for me. It's the 4th/5th time this has happened. Even resetting sync doesn't work. Either it starts working automatically or it doesn't. Edge's synch servers seem unstable. Sometimes it connects to Southeast asia (which is the correct one), sometimes Japan, sometimes Australia on a single session.
So frustrating that it makes me wanna switch to Chrome which always works.
Hello, the problem you are experiencing may be caused by the DNS service you are using (probably because of the filter list) I had the same problem. I fixed the issue by whitelisting the address below, now it syncs stably.
Code:
edge.activity.windows.com

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Hello, the problem you are experiencing may be caused by the DNS service you are using (probably because of the filter list) I had the same problem. I fixed the issue by whitelisting the address below, now it syncs stably.
Code:
edge.activity.windows.com
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm aware of this. For example, I even asked "WindowsSpyBlocker" blocker to remove it from their Spy list soon after Edge came out a couple of years ago after realizing that this one is responsible for syncing.
It's not blocked by my DNS. I'm using NextDNS with OISD+Adgaurd DNS filter and none of them blocks it. After resetting a couple of times, I used Cloudflare DNS before syncing again to make sure nothing gets blocked. But still the issue is there. It was fine like a week ago. Now sometimes it doesn't work at all and sometimes only works in a broken way. Like if I visit "abcd(.)com/edge-is awesome" on the phone then my PC only shows the main host in history "abcd(.)com". Sometimes news articles that I clicked on Google Now doesn't get synced at all even though it's opened externally on Edge. Yesterday, Edge PC to Edge mobile and vice versa both stopped working all of a sudden. Don't know what's going on. I'll give it some days and see if it gets automatically fixed.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Had a quick look at two of the Edge's subreddit and yeah, I'm not the only one having this issue. Some people have been having this issue for weeks. For some people, it started to happen after the version 102 update. On my PC, send to device doesn't appear on the right click context menu, the collection option doesn't appear in sync similar to reports from other people. I don't use collection but that fact that many users don't have it shows that sync is indeed broken for many at the moment.
Switching to Chrome for now till they fix it.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft aims to make Edge the go-to browser for gaming
Microsoft wants to make Edge the go-to browser for gaming, with new features unveiled today, including a new gaming portal and the public release of its Clarity boost upscaling feature when using Xbox Cloud Gaming.

Those using Microsoft's Xbox Cloud Gaming service to stream games to their PCs may have noticed a difference in graphics quality compared to playing the game on the console. This quality difference is caused by streaming the game from the cloud rather than playing it locally on a console.

In November, Microsoft introduced a new Clarity boost upscaling feature in Edge preview builds that increased the quality of graphics streamed to the browser. Today, Clarity Boost has been publicly released to all Microsoft Edge users.

Microsoft also unveiled a new 'Gaming' homepage experience to the Edge new tab page (NTP) that provides personalized news and content about the games you are interested in. Additionally, if you log in with your Xbox account, you will receive content related to the games you are playing and that are in your Xbox library.

As part of their announcement, Microsoft is also promoting its Edge Efficiency Mode feature that reduces browser resource utilization when playing games and its Edge gaming section that offers free light-weight games to play in the browser.

The Efficiency mode and free games have already been included in Edge for some time.

Microsoft says the new gaming portal and Clarity boost will be available today in Edge. However, in BleepingComputer's tests, the new features are not yet available, so please be patient while it's rolled out to your region.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Version 103.0.1264.37: June 23

Feature updates​

• Ability to control automatic profile switching. The GuidedSwitchEnabled policy lets Microsoft Edge prompt the user to switch to the appropriate profile when Microsoft Edge detects that a link is a personal or work link.
  • Client Certificate Switcher. This feature will offer a way for users to clear the remembered certificate and resurface the certificate picker when visiting a site requiring http certificate authentication. Switching can be done without manually quitting Microsoft Edge.
  • More reliable web defense. Browse the web with more reliable protection thanks to the rewritten Microsoft Defender SmartScreen library for Microsoft Edge on Windows. The NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled policy will allow enterprise customers to continue using the legacy version of the library until it’s deprecated in Microsoft Edge version 105.
  • Work Search Banner in the Microsoft Edge address bar. This banner helps you stay in the flow of your work by narrowing your search focus to work-only results. To see work focused results from your organization, select the banner at the beginning of your search. To be directed to your organization's workplace search results page, select the banner at any point of your search. Use the AddressBarMicrosoftSearchInBingProviderEnabled policy to turn this feature on or off.
Microsoft has released the latest Microsoft Edge Stable Channel (Version 103.0.1264.37), which incorporates the latest Security Updates of the Chromium project. For more information, see the Security Update Guide.

This update contains the following Microsoft Edge-specific updates:

Microsoft Edge VersionDate ReleasedBased on Chromium Version
103.0.1264.376/23/2022103.0.5060.53

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft has announced several new features coming soon to the Edge browser. The company wants to improve the Collection feature and allow users to store more content and collaborate with other people.

The current version of Microsoft Edge allows creating Collections with various content, such as entire web pages, pins from Pinterest, and sticky notes. Microsoft understands that users want to store more files in their Collections, so future updates will bring the ability to add images and videos using a simple right-click.

Microsoft will also let users work together in future updates, letting them share, collaborate, and brainstorm together using the feature.

Finally, those using Collections in Microsoft Edge should prepare for the influx of recommended content. The software giant will soon start displaying an "inspiration feed" with content related to the things you store in a particular Collection. Unfortunately, there is no information on whether Microsoft will allow users to disable recommended content.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I don't use collection, but the preparation for this upgrade could be the reason why collection disappeared from the syncing section for many Edge users including me since the version 102 update.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Updated to Version 103.0.1264.44

June 30, 2022
Microsoft has released the latest Microsoft Edge Stable Channel (Version 103.0.1264.44). For more information, see the Security Update Guide.

This update contains the following Microsoft Edge-specific update:

CVE-2022-33680

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

How to deal with Microsoft Edge's "isn't commonly downloaded" warning​

All downloads in the Microsoft Edge web browser are scanned using Microsoft Defender's SmartScreen feature. Designed to weed out malicious files before they land on the user system, SmartScreen is the first line of protection when it comes to file downloads.

One of the problems with SmartScreen is that it is also blocking file downloads for new and uncommon files. If a file is not known at all by SmartScreen, or not commonly downloaded, then it may be blocked automatically. The file itself may be perfectly harmless, but it won't land on the user system unless explicitly allowed.

microsoft defender smartscreen

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.