Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

wat0114

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
I think you should delete all the keys.
Even one activates managed by your administrator.

I did delete them all. I manage my own device, so no one else is doing anything. I'll try digging around further to see if I can find something. Thanks again.

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017

Version 104.0.1293.47: August 5​

Stable channel security updates are listed here.

Feature updates​

• Enhance your security on the web. Improvements to Enhance your security on the web in edge://settings/privacy now include Basic as the new default option. With this option, Microsoft Edge will apply added security protection to the less visited sites. This feature preserves the user experience for the most popular sites on the web. For more information, see Browse more safely with Microsoft Edge.
  • Import Chrome data without Chrome during First Run Experience. This feature lets a user bring in their Chrome data by logging in to their Google account during Microsoft Edge's First Run Experience. This feature can be turned off by disabling First Run Experience with the HideFirstRunExperience policy, or by setting AutoImportAtFirstRun to 'DisabledAutoImport'.

Microsoft Edge release notes for Stable Channel
docs.microsoft.com

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Version 104.0.1293.47: August 5​

Microsoft Edge release notes for Stable Channel
docs.microsoft.com
Microsoft has released the latest Microsoft Edge Stable Channel (Version 104.0.1293.47). For more information, see the Security Update Guide.

This update contains the following Microsoft Edge-specific updates:
Microsoft Edge VersionDate ReleasedBased on Chromium Version
104.0.1293.478/5/2022104.0.5112.79/80/81

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Hardware accelerated video is broken in Edge. See the difference in CPU/GPU usage & frame drops. It's not unplayable even without GPU acceleration but laptop fans become noisy.
4K@60 video used for playback
1660562694742.png

1660562720414.png

Edit: Doesn't happen every time and it gets fixed by restarting Edge. Feedback sent to MS.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft Edge version 104.0.1293.63 released
No release notes yet, but probably a fix for fix for CVE-2022-2856, which has been reported by the Chromium team as having an exploit in the wild.
Like in the mobile version 104.0.1293.60

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft Edge version 104.0.1293.63 released
No release notes yet, but probably a fix for fix for CVE-2022-2856, which has been reported by the Chromium team as having an exploit in the wild.
Like in the mobile version 104.0.1293.60
Release notes posted:
Version 104.0.1293.63 : August 19
This update contains a fix for CVE-2022-2856, which has been reported by the Chromium team as having an exploit in the wild. For more information, see the Security Update Guide.
Stable channel security updates are listed here.

Feature updates​

• Microsoft Edge sidebar. The Microsoft Edge sidebar lets users access Microsoft Edge features side-by-side with their browsing window. Available features include Discover, Bing search, Outlook, Office, Games, and Tools such as a unit converter and Internet speed test. Administrators can control the availability of the Microsoft Edge sidebar by using the HubsSidebarEnabled policy. Note: This is a controlled feature rollout. If you don't see this feature, check back as we continue our rollout.
  • Search in the Microsoft Edge sidebar. Easily access an updated sidebar search via Microsoft Edge sidebar, including easy access to Microsoft Search in Bing for organizations. Note: This is a controlled feature rollout. If you don't see this feature, check back as we continue our rollout.
  • Gaming for the Microsoft Edge sidebar. Play popular casual games for free. Administrators can control the availability of the Games menu in the Microsoft Edge sidebar by using the AllowGamesMenu policy. Note: This is a controlled feature rollout. If you don't see this feature, check back as we continue our rollout.
  • Discover in the Microsoft Edge sidebar. Discover content relevant to the page you’re browsing including summaries, source information, and more. Note: This is a controlled feature rollout. If you don't see this feature, check back as we continue our rollout.
  • Get your favorite tools in the Microsoft Edge sidebar. Easily access commonly used tools while you browse the web, including Calculator, Internet speed test, and Unit converter. Note: This is a controlled feature rollout. If you don't see this feature, check back as we continue our rollout.
  • Outlook in the Microsoft Edge sidebar. Quickly and easily access Outlook Mail and Calendar. Administrators can control the Outlook menu in the Microsoft Edge sidebar by using the OutlookHubMenuEnabled policy. Note: This is a controlled feature rollout. If you don't see this feature, check back as we continue our rollout.
  • Office in the Microsoft Edge sidebar. Quickly and easily access Microsoft Office documents and apps. Administrators can control the Microsoft Office menu in the Microsoft Edge sidebar by using the MicrosoftOfficeMenuEnabled policy. Note: This is a controlled feature rollout. If you don't see this feature, check back as we continue our rollout.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Microsoft Edge 104: the introduction of the sidebar​

The main new feature of Microsoft Edge 104 is the introduction of the sidebar. The sidebar is displayed on the right side of the Edge window and includes a mix of features that all open in an expanded sidebar in Edge.

Features include Bing Search, Discover, Office, Outlook, Games and Tools. Selecting the Bing icon, Edge users may run searches on Bing from the sidebar, while another website is displayed in the same window.

microsoft edge sidebar tools

Discover displays information about the active website or related content. Games is powered by MSN, but individual games open in the main area and not in the sidebar. Games can be turned off by administrators by using the Allow Games Menu policy.

Tools is specific to Microsoft Edge; it includes a calculator, unit converter, Internet speed test, translator and other services that all open and run in the sidebar of the browser.

Outlook displays Outlook emails and calendar directly in the sidebar, and Office links to the various Office applications and recently used documents, provided that the Edge user is signed in with a Microsoft account.

The sidebar feature rolls out gradually to the entire Edge population. Administrators may use the Show Hubs Sidebar policy to turn the feature off for managed devices.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
FYI: I saw that DNS settings in my Edge browser were locked with the "Edge is managed by your organization" and then I remembered that I had disabled fast startup and sure enough, that setting was also locked. This led to the discovery that there was an edge://policy listed for fast startup, so I concluded that turning fast startup off sets the corresponding policy. After a bit more research I saw this reddit thread where one post says
Visit edge://policy to see which policies are in place. Any will make Edge regard your instance as 'managed'
The solution was to delete this key
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge
Edge settings now unlocked.
Users who experience locked settings in Edge may also want to check Remove Managed by your organization from Microsoft Edge for more info.

Sammo

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2012
FYI: I saw that DNS settings in my Edge browser were locked with the "Edge is managed by your organization" and then I remembered that I had disabled fast startup and sure enough, that setting was also locked. This led to the discovery that there was an edge://policy listed for fast startup, so I concluded that turning fast startup off sets the corresponding policy. After a bit more research I saw this reddit thread where one post says

The solution was to delete this key
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge
Edge settings now unlocked.
Users who experience locked settings in Edge may also want to check Remove Managed by your organization from Microsoft Edge for more info.
That still didn't work for me.

Reactions: oldschool
O

ODHSNM

I had the same fast start up policy, although it seemed to appear after I installed DefenderUI.
Not had the time to investigate further, but running the reg file in @oldschool link removed the managed by your organisation warning for me.

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.