Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Some users on online forums reported Microsoft Edge freezes and crashes when they watch a Youtube video on Full Screen. The issue seems to have majorly affected the stable version, Edge 90. Microsoft said it is looking into the issue and rolled out a fix for the potential cause to Canary. Meanwhile, if you’re affected, here is what you can do.
If you don’t want to test bleeding Edge Canary, try the following steps
  • Try clearing the cache
  • Disable hardware acceleration by visiting Settings > System > Toggle, ” Use hardware acceleration when available” and restart Edge.
  • Run YouTube video in Private mode to check extensions aren’t causing this
  • Disable Extensions
  • Update Edge browser.
  • Update Graphics card drivers
  • See if using Edge Dev or beta or Canary or Chrome or other browsers such as Firefox or Opera. helps.
Microsoft says they push a fixed fix for a potential cause to Edge Canary, so try it out for the time being.

Microsoft Edge Community Manager Missy Quarry provided these statements in a couple of Reddit threads.

“I have been working with the team to investigate similar reports of YouTube crashing the browser. There are a couple of situations around this, so I’d love to verify a recent fix we put in resolves any of you off if you continue to experience any hanging or crashing”
“We believe we have resolved one potential cause of this, and this currently in our canary channel. I’m not sure if it made it to our dev channel this week, if you’re still experiencing crashes give our canary channel a shot” Missy said.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
In numerous reports on Reddit [1, 2, 3] about the bug, a Microsoft Employee has acknowledged the issue and suggested users download Edge Canary, where a fix has been added.
"Hey, friend! I'm wondering if this ended up helping you out at all. If not, not to worry! The team has been investigating this and I may be able to point you in the direction of a resolution.
We believe we have resolved one potential cause of this, and it's currently in our Canary channel. I'm not sure if it made it to our Dev channel this week, so if you're still experiencing crashes give our Canary channel a shot. Let me know how it's going there.
I would like to be upfront with you. The crashes you are experiencing does lead me to believe you will not be resolved by this, but it's definitely worth a try. If you continue to experience crashes in Canary, please head to edge://crashes, find the latest one related to the one you had, and click the Send feedback button on the right side of it to give context to the crash in the description. If you go this route, please let me know what the upload ID of that particular crash log is and I can share it with the team.
Thanks for posting this up! Hopefully we can get you into a good state."

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
YouTube works best on Googles own Chrome browser... the plot thickens 🤔
What did Google do this time?
Personally, I had no crashes lately, but thanks @silversurfer for posting this (y)
I had a lot of YouTube pausing etc. but switching form the uBlock Origin to AdGuard browser extension solved that.
Edge is currently unusable with YouTube right now (GPU process sucks up all memory until Edge crashes), I am using Brave but sometimes when you fullscreen the video there's a lag which is not on Chrome or Edge, so something is definitely going on there.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I am still annoyed that Edge pauses YT when switching to another tab and also ignoring autoplay. I expect that on android (only Brave can bypass it), but not on desktop, seriously MS?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I am still annoyed that Edge pauses YT when switching to another tab and also ignoring autoplay. I expect that on android (only Brave can bypass it), but not on desktop, seriously MS?
Same as @upnorth I don't see that behavior, it works flawless here.
Maybe it depends on what adblocker and/or filters you are using? 🤔

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Microsoft Edge update fixes YouTube crashes, freezes​

Microsoft has fixed a nasty bug that was causing the Microsoft Edge browser to crash while watching YouTube videos or reading comments. [...]

On Friday, Microsoft released Microsoft Edge 90.0.818.62 to the Stable branch and fixed the YouTube problem.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.