Advice Request Microsoft not sending verification code to email

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

peterfat11

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
Hi, guys Microsoft is not giving me any code.
Here is a post on ms forum
I've yet to see a solution to my problem.

I actually went to try and update my security info on my account which requires a second verification (after already having logged in with my password), so I chose to send to my email, not my hotmail for some reason, but another email. Which is fine, but once I choose that option, and verify what that email address is, the verification code never actually comes--not to my inbox, and not to my junk mail. I tried using Edge browser (on my surface laptop operating on windows 10) to login which makes no difference.

What is going on???
this is the same thing as me can anyone help?

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I am afraid there is nothing you can do, but wait for the support to deal with it. Unfortunately 2FA is a double edged sword.
Always setup backups, like PIN, authentication app, email, SMS beforehand, since MS refuses to implement backup codes.

capture_05082021_183337.jpg

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Once you get access to your account, go to your Microsoft account settings -> security -> advanced security options -> setup additional security options according to your preference. I have personally always enabled 2FA, but aside from that you can set up a backup email address as well as the option to generate a recovery code (bottom of the page). Can't figure out for the life of me, why they don't do that by default upon enabling any advanced security option beyond just the password...

The recovery code is just a single string of randomly-generated-somethings. Similar to how you would normally get backup codes for setting up a 2FA application. Keep a copy of that safe and stored away from your computer.
1620510159883.png

Last edited:

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Personally I only do it to receive login alerts on my backup email. Main login authentication I do with 2FA codes through Aegis Authenticator and an off-site backup of the recovery code (#4). I did hesitate for using MS authenticator, but I thought Aegis has worked fine for me so far, don't need an additional application.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.