Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
It appears that Microsoft is working on a new app that tries to mimic features found in CCleaner and other "PC optimizer." Several screenshots posted on Twitter reveal details about Microsoft's "PC Manager" and its features, such as cleaning temporary files, monitoring resource usage, managing startup apps, and, of course, more desperate attempts to convert users to Edge.

1666334262_microsoft_pc_manager.jpg

Microsoft PC Manager will allow users to perform basic computer maintenance and speed up their devices with a single click. The app can run disk cleanup, show how startup apps affect performance, scan for viruses with Microsoft Defender, check for Windows Updates, see running processes, and manage storage.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I can see that if this proves worthy that it could be a good thing, MS develop the OS so they should be capable of stopping it removing important things that might be when other providers tools haven't been updated. But it is MS! I'll watch from the sidelines for a while before taking it for a run.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Something interesting has popped up in a Chinese language corner of Microsoft's website: a tool called PC Manager that provides easier access to utilities that dwell somewhere in Windows' Settings menus. While the site is in Chinese, the tool is not – so we took it for a spin.

On boot you'll see the following screen:

screenshot_microsoft_pc_manager_startup_screen.jpg

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Be careful when installing this beta. In my system it tried to overwrite a dll with an older version. I don't know if it's because I'm in the Windows Beta channel in that machine. Fortunately it was intercepted and I could safely deny the overwrite.

Last edited:

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Why does it delete prefetch? Isn't prefetch's job is to make things load a bit faster? :unsure:
The option to delete prefetch has been available in sytem cleaners for a long time (e.g. BleachBit), some systems may have limited storage space and deleting prefetch can help them maintain some free space. However, with storage capacities increasing all of the time I'm not sure how many people will make use of this option today, it may well be there more as a legacy option than a practical one now.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
for some reason some websites known as free software download sources like softpedia filehorse chip.de etc.. have Microsoft PC Manager version 3.6.0.0 BUT if you download the Microsoft PC Manager from Microsoft website itself it gives you version 3.1 ? not sure but it's not updated now where do these websites get the updated version from i have no idea

and "check for updates" in PC Manager doesn't work, i tried to have the version that i got from Microsoft website updated but it just didn't find any update.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you can't beat them, join them.

Bloatware with a terrible name.

Want a real PC performance boost? Get a better hardware.
I tried the latest public beta (v3.8.2.0) and it cleans up much faster than previous ways. The new UI has an easier to use sidebar and desktop widget to "Clean RAM" and "Launch Edge". Whilst it does have potential to replace Windows Disk Cleaner (classic) and Storage Sense (Settings), Microsoft has weaponised it to promote their own apps and services.

nickstar1

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 10, 2022
I tried the latest public beta (v3.8.2.0) and it cleans up much faster than previous ways. The new UI has an easier to use sidebar and desktop widget to "Clean RAM" and "Launch Edge". Whilst it does have potential to replace Windows Disk Cleaner (classic) and Storage Sense (Settings), Microsoft has weaponised it to promote their own apps and services.
just downloaded this i love how fast it is! actually seems to clean better than the standard windows tools which is odd. Anyway i think ill ditch avg clean up and just use this.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I have a copy of PC Manager from the Microsoft Store. Today, it was automatically updated to 3.3.9.0.

• Wow
Reactions: LennyFox

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.