BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Microsoft Releases Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB3201845

Microsoft has just rolled out a new cumulative update for Windows 10 Anniversary Update (version 1607) after previously testing with the help of users enrolled in the Windows Insider program.

Windows 10 cumulative update KB3201845 doesn’t bring any new operating system features, as it’s the case with all the other cumulative updates, but only fixes and performance improvements that you can read in full in the box at the end of the article.

For example, one such fix improves “the reliability of mobile device management (MDM) disenrollment, Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM), Peripheral Component Interface and PowerShell,” according to the changelog.

There are also fixes for issues causing File Explorer to no prompt for credentials when a user logs on with a Microsoft account, as well as repairs for problems causing the System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) client to fail installation when a device is re-imaged using the SCCM task sequence.

The update is called “Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 and Windows Server 2016: December 9, 2016” and is being shipped right now via Windows Update for computers running any of these two OS versions.

Installing fine here
As it happens when Microsoft rolls out a new cumulative update for Windows 10 computers, there are concerns that it could fail to install or cause other problems on the systems it’s supposed to be deployed on. This happened pretty much with every single cumulative update released so far, but it remains to be seen if Microsoft managed to fix these issues or not.

In our case, this cumulative update installed fine, but the same thing happened when getting it as part of the Windows Insider program on our testing PCs here at Softpedia.

As usual, we’ll keep an eye out on reports to see if other users actually experience issues with this cumulative update and we’ll keep you posted. Creating a backup seems to be the best solution, however, just in case something goes wrong.

Hide KB3201845
  • Improved the reliability of mobile device management (MDM) disenrollment, Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM), Peripheral Component Interface and PowerShell.
  • Addressed issue that causes excessive battery drain if you have a Chinese Input Method Editor installed and use Windows Hello to log in.
  • Addressed issue with OLE drag and drop that prevents users from downloading a SharePoint document library as a file.
  • Addressed issue with Super Floppy-formatted fixed media devices that are not recognized by Windows 10 Anniversary Update or accessible in Windows Explorer.
  • Addressed issue that causes the System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) client to fail installation when a device is re-imaged using the SCCM task sequence.
  • Addressed issue that causes the loss of optional component (OC) state information, including all Hyper-V virtual machines, after upgrade.
  • Addressed issue that causes Windows Explorer to display information that’s inconsistent with what’s stored on the Floppy disk.
  • Addressed issue that, after connecting a shared CD/DVD-hosted drive with no media inserted, causes some of the commands, like DIR and NET USE, to hang.
  • Addressed issue where customers cannot use directory cache sizes greater than 64 KB.
  • Addressed issue where Windows Explorer sometimes does not prompt for credentials when a user logs on using a Microsoft account.
  • Addressed additional issues with application compatibility and Internet Explorer

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Hi,

Direct download links for Cumulative Update (KB3201845):

64-bit Download (937 MB)
32-bit Download (503 MB)

Steps to Install .CAB file:
  1. Open "Command Prompt (Admin)"
  2. Lets assume your file is windows10.0-kb3201845.cab and is located in "C:\update\"
  3. Now enter the following command in Command Prompt window: dism /online /add-package /packagepath:C:\update\windows10.0-kb3201845.cab
Regards,
Kardo

W

Wave

2nd attempt was successful.

Guess first attempt failed due to low battery...battery was at 8-9% & power was not ON.
Does Win 10 updates check battery status?
Probably; after all if your power is lost during an update and the OS software has not installed correctly then your system may not successfully work with Windows anymore (e.g. it may remove critical files to replace them -> power is now off so this doesn't happen) or/and cause data corruption.

Always make sure you have a good battery status before applying any type of firmware/software update; the system failure during updates can cause unnecessary and time-consuming future problems you may have to manually deal with.

MiguelPratas819

Level 2
Verified
Jul 8, 2015
1 GB update...they had mentioned something like smaller updates...what happened to that?

Damn, Win 10 was/may be free But users have to pay the price with data plan especially limited data plan users.
Those smaller updates are not a feature of the last official public build release. I guess that will only come with Creators Update coming in 2017

D

Deleted member 2913

By the way, I got "Windows getting ready, Do not shut down your system" twice i.e update installed & I restarted the system & "Windows getting....." & system restarted & update was successful. I browsed for a while & when I shut down I again got "Windows getting........." & after completing system shut down.

The only difference was that first time, there were those percentages too & second time was without percentages. Everything seems fine.

Any one with the same behavior on their system with this update?

LordDelacroix

Dec 9, 2016
As has been the case with ALL windows 10 updates for me, not just the cumulative ones, this one failed to install and left my system useless. I'll be formatting again and reinstalling all my development tools - a 14 hour nightmare to install all the tools I need. So far, I've had to this every single month since Windows 10 first left Redmond. I was on the Insider trac but gave that up and purchased it since it was causing me so much grief. Had my clients NOT upgraded to Windows 10, I would still be on Windows 7 but they upgraded, so I have to as well so I can properly test my software.

My question and statement is thus: When in all that's green is Microsoft going to TEST this nonsense before releasing it? If it rolled back nicely and left me running, well, that's one thing. But to hose my system down and render it bootless? Once, may be twice OK ... but, EVERY UPDATE? Seriously ...

All I can say is THANK GOD I'm over the hill and will be retiring soon and then I can just forget there ever was a Microsoft!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.