Microsoft Responds to Kaspersky, Says Windows Defender Is a Top Antivirus

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I'm still trying to reconcile the fact that Putin does whatever, whenever to whoever in Russia and yet people that have a choice will use a Russian AV.
Putin himself is incredibly popular among the majority of Russians. He had a downturn just before the Ukraine crisis but gained a considerable boot in popularity after the annexation of Crimea. He's seen as a strongman who stands up to Western oppression and puts Russia's national interest before the ideals of other nations.
I'd imagine the popularity of homegrown AVs (and software in general) is due to the propaganda levied against the West and supporting domestic initiatives is seen as nationalistic.

scifi

Level 1
Verified
Oct 28, 2014
I agree with you that Putin has done a very good job of 'controlling the message' to the Russian masses. But there have been large anti-Putin demonstrations in the very near past and said strongman may need to strip down to his tidy-whitees and wrestle a stingray or something. Even Putin can't lie to all his people all the time.

Reactions: spaceoctopus

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Kasperksy's reaction is something should not arise an alarm there, remember that Windows Defender is a baseline and it's performance may not result to such defeat on the competition of other third party ones.

Honestly everything should be done within a friendly meeting, Microsoft will be smart in this case since the action of Kaspersky for filling a case is something can be flaw.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Honestly everything should be done within a friendly meeting, Microsoft will be smart in this case since the action of Kaspersky for filling a case is something can be flaw.

True, but Kaspersky tried this approach and MS wouldn't budge:

https://malwaretips.com/threads/kas...g-windows-10-antivirus-monopoly-claims.70910/

MS cannot and will not ever be able to deliver the configurability and manageability required security-wise to secure a large network, even at the machine level. This is where the vendors will win this battle. Makes sense that there is a default option for security in Windows for each unique machine, but MS is going to lose to the vendors ultimately. It's not about Kaspersky or Putin. It's about flexibility and customizability.

I appreciate what Kaspersky is doing here, and I respect that the European Union seems to be waking to sense the danger in a single unmotivated provider of computer security.

At the end of the day, I feel MS has already gone too far to secure Windows. Seems to me money down the drain for the company long term. Their products will end up reviled for being too heavy or obtrusive or just for taking up disk space honestly. This is nothing new. How many wanted to get rid of IE or Outlook back in the 2000s or Windows Defender in W7. It's going to end up the same way this time.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@AtlBo: Yes I agree, of course the move of Kaspersky this one can be indeed considered hard evidence for Microsoft alleged unethical behavior, although that should be precise on the lawsuit and must not connect on other related security issues.

Reactions: AtlBo

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
I keep close attention to this sentence : "Windows Defender is currently one of the top solutions on the market, with over 99 percent detection rates."
qatim.jpg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.