Microsoft Security Essentials - Would you use this antivirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul.R

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
Hi!

What is your opinion about MSE 4?

In my experience:
-slow update
-light on system
-good detection
-very few false alarm
-friendly interface
-not sow buggy like others products

Have a nice day!

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
RE: Microsoft Security Essential

MSE is an excellent product. Too many advanced users don't see its full potential because they go by how AV testing sites rates it very low and it lacks a lot of features that can be tweaked.

MSE will detect just about all malware that is live (current within 90 days) and widespread. Many AV testing sites will use malware samples that are not live and widespread which makes MSE look bad.

Of coarse it will not detect most zero-day malware but most of the other AV's also do a poor job at detecting them.

The zero-day malware that infects most users can easily be avoided by watching what you download, use browser add-ons like WOT and keep UAC on default settings and pay attention to its prompts. Don't click links on fake alert websites offering fake AV's, flash player updates, codec packs, etc.

I have several customers that use MSE and never get infections, of coarse they watch their actions.

MSE is a simple light AV that will protect you if you watch your own actions.

Thanks.:D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Got MSE 4.2 running on 2 PCs and they both receive daily updates via Windows Updates. Runs well and lightly on CPU resources, zero FPs (at this point), ability to throttle CPU usage for scheduled scans, minimal user interaction. Checks Windows Firewall is turned on, for better security.

Great little program by Microsoft.

Littlebits,
Advanced users or users who think they're advanced? :angel:

Littlebits said:
Too many advanced users don't see its full potential because they go by how AV testing sites rates it very low and it lacks a lot of features that can be tweaked.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Never have I had a problem with it. Just a program I wouldn't use as I like to have a lot of settings I like to configure.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

MSE 4 does have high usage of RAM however minimal impact for the system, their prevention is really capable for most sophisticated threats, and better usability.

Paul.R

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013

Hi!

Thanks guys for your help.

Have a nice day!

Zurchiboy

Verified
Apr 10, 2013

MSE is good. I don't know why Testing site use it as a base line. It is a good product.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A point worth mentioning is to un-check 'MS AntiMalware' from CCleaner, as deleting these logs will make Microsoft Security Essentials produce a notification that your PC is unprotected.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?&showtopic=32981&#entry196229

Gorilla P

Verified
Jan 31, 2013
I get machines in day-after-day with MSE installed. The machines are constantly overrun with rogue antivirus and rootkit infections. The major problem with MSE is its absolutely horrible Heuristic scanning/zero-day detection. It has its benefits in being lightweight, integrating into Windows and being able to remove a lot of what it detects. It's detection rates however have been a glaring issue for some time.

I'm sure there's plenty of people who swear by it, because they've used it for a little while, and its prevented a few infections for them. Even the worst of antiviruses will have about a 50% detection rate. So that along with a little common sense, and MSE will likely work fine for you, but definitely no better than any other established AntiVirus. See review below.

The recent MRG-Effitas real-world scan did MSE a favor, by downloading the recently acquired infections and using IE to download them for the test. During this test, the antivirus being tested had 3 different chances to detect the infection... During the download, when download completed, and when opening the file. Again MSE failed horribly. This was a simple test, seeing how antivirus software performed when an infectious file was downloaded while browsing using internet explorer.

See report below.

MRG-Effitas Real-World AV Test - 1st-Quarter 2013

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Gorilla P said:
I get machines in day-after-day with MSE installed. The machines are constantly overrun with rogue antivirus and rootkit infections. The major problem with MSE is its absolutely horrible Heuristic scanning/zero-day detection. It has its benefits in being lightweight, integrating into Windows and being able to remove a lot of what it detects. It's detection rates however have been a glaring issue for some time.

I'm sure there's plenty of people who swear by it, because they've used it for a little while, and its prevented a few infections for them. Even the worst of antiviruses will have about a 50% detection rate. So that along with a little common sense, and MSE will likely work fine for you, but definitely no better than any other established AntiVirus. See review below.

The recent MRG-Effitas real-world scan did MSE a favor, by downloading the recently acquired infections and using IE to download them for the test. During this test, the antivirus being tested had 3 different chances to detect the infection... During the download, when download completed, and when opening the file. Again MSE failed horribly. This was a simple test, seeing how antivirus software performed when an infectious file was downloaded while browsing using internet explorer.

See report below.

MRG-Effitas Real-World AV Test - 1st-Quarter 2013

Really I clean up my customers system which has AV's from BitDefender, Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, Avast, AVG and you name it full of rogue fake AV's. This has nothing to do with MSE, all AV's fail to detect fake AV's and many zero day malware. It is up to the user to know how to safely download files and not to completely rely on their AV to do all the work.

I just recently cleanup a system with BitDefender Internet Security 2013 fully updated and functioning properly with over 30 malicious processes running. Most were fake alert Trojans and other rogueware.

So not only does MSE have bad zero-day detection that applies to all.

However most zero-day malware are very easy to spot by a trained user and much easier to avoid if you always download files from only safe sources.

Thanks.:D

thecombo101

Level 1
Mar 24, 2012
I think MSE is one if the best antiviruses out thanks to being install-and-forget. People tend to appreciate not being bothered by multiple alerts. MSE just sits there and does its thing. It's also light on resources, so people don't have to be worried about it causing major slowdowns. It detects the common malware very well. Best of all, you get all of these wonderful things for free.

Z

ZeroDay

When windows 8.1 is released I'm seriously considering switching my whole setup to all things Microsoft. Lua, Uac, smart screen, mse, windows firewall and ie :)

M

Manzai

MSE is very bad.

Detection is very low, it is easily fooled by malware.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
I have a friend who purchased a new laptop with Windows 8. He is so lost regarding the changes in usability compared to previous systems that he gave it to me so I can figure it out for him on how to use it. For security, as in the past, I installed Sandboxie and I want him to use Windows defender for antivirus. In his Vista, he used MSE along SBIE. That combo proved to work well for him as he never got infected using it.

I got a couple a questions about Windows defender in W8, perhaps Earth, Littlebits or someone else that is using WD in W8 can help me out. Even though WD is enabled and updated, I do not see an icon by the clock. Even when is open, I don't see anything related to WD by the clock. I cant figure how to get the icon by the clock, is that how it is in W8? I tried the Eicar test so I know WD is working but I like to place an icon by the clock to let my buddy know if WD is disabled. Another question. Even though I know WD is working when Windows starts, why is it that WD is not shown as starting with Windows by CCleaner: Tools>Startup>Windows.

Bo

S

starchild76

@ bo.elam : you can add the icon in the taskbar as following : search for windows defender , once found right click on the icon and pin it into the taskbar.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Hi Starchild, I know that can be done but the shortcut is just a shortcut. It doesnt show if protection is enabled or disabled (changing colors like in MSE). Thanks anyway.

Bo

Nedim

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
ZeroDay said:
When windows 8.1 is released I'm seriously considering switching my whole setup to all things Microsoft. Lua, Uac, smart screen, mse, windows firewall and ie :)

I'm thinking the same.

Z

ZeroDay

Nedim said:
ZeroDay said:

I'm thinking the same.

Should be a solid setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.