What I'm looking for?

Looking for minimum feedback.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I'd be interested to hear what you think of APPcheck and ControlID after you've been running together for a while.

I'd guess that your current config runs well and is fairly light on resources, it looks like a decent setup.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I'd be interested to hear what you think of APPcheck and ControlID after you've been running together for a while.

I'd guess that your current config runs well and is fairly light on resources, it looks like a decent setup.
Can only say that ControlID dns is fairly aggressive, blocking me off watching netflix like finnish sites... have to report that it to them if theyd fix it...brave had same problems but after i reported broken site they pretty much fixed it

About appcheck, it has cleaner and it would be interesting to see how it competes against big names like emsisoft emergency kit, norton power eraser, adwcleaner, hitmanpro, malwarebytes etc

Im not sure how much it does inpact on online gaming ( ongoing data downloads while gaming) (network traffic) i guess kaspersky with game mode is probably minor upgrade from defender there

I have never seen anyone using appcheck cleaner pic below

appcheckq.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Can only say that ControlID dns is fairly aggressive, blocking me off watching netflix like finnish sites... have to report that it to them if theyd fix it...brave had same problems but after i reported broken site they pretty much fixed it

About appcheck, it has cleaner and it would be interesting to see how it competes against big names like emsisoft emergency kit, norton power eraser, adwcleaner, hitmanpro, malwarebytes etc

Im not sure how much it does inpact on online gaming ( ongoing data downloads while gaming) (network traffic) i guess kaspersky with game mode is probably minor upgrade from defender there

View attachment 258114
HitmanPro and EEK are not comparable to this one I think. On their website they state that it's only for PUPs, Adware and Spyware.

Unbenannt.PNG

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018

View attachment 258114
Thanks for the feedback. I'm guessing that ControlID might be made easier to tweak if its found that others find it restricts their desired online activities, I can't see how its in the interests of Windscribe's business model to affect users in the way that you report.

I've never used Appcheck, it looks interesting from what I've read and I've not seen anyone post their live active scans using it, the categories shown in your screenshot are similar to many other scanners. I'm not sure how they compare though.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
+ added addguard desktop ( bought lifetime license from ghacks)
+ replaced edge with google chrome ( as long as it will work with the desktop adguard, aswell added adguard premium/ google chrome to mobile devices too)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
+ added addguard desktop ( bought lifetime license from ghacks)
+ replaced edge with google chrome ( as long as it will work with the desktop adguard, aswell added adguard premium/ google chrome to mobile devices too)

How are your settings in Kaspersky web-protection, any slowdowns while browsing noticeable? Kaspersky and Adguard Desktop both using HTTPS scanning...

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
How are your settings in Kaspersky web-protection, any slowdowns while browsing noticeable? Kaspersky and Adguard Desktop both using HTTPS scanning...
I have not seen any difference to normal to be honest. Definitely i would change if it bothered me :unsure:

Many people on MalwareTips have said that kaspersky alone slowdowns the speed noticiable but i have never had any issues with it..

Only thing wich comes into my mind is now that is there anything else to worry about beside the slowdown that someone could have?

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
- Removed kaspersky cloud free + appcheck
- Google chrome
- DNS over HTTPS

+ Added Comodo internet security ( default settings )
+ Vivaldi as browser
+ DNS over QUIC by adguard
+ Killswitch

Vivaldi 4.0 just got released and they still have support for highlighted ev certificates

evcertificates.png

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Update: back to roots

- Removed CIS, often it got delayed on boot and MD turned on , afaik its just visual problem but still worried

So i removed CIS

+ Added Comodo firewall ( cruelsister settings) + MS Defender ( Default settings)

+ replaced vivaldi with Edge, as im using MSdefender + vivaldi still being slow+ unresponsive in chromium battle

+ Dns changed to Control ID dns , as it filters malware, ads , social = most of tracking domains blocked by default

Summer holidays = kids on computer playing minecraft, i had to read tons of parents guide of minecraft mods, installing of skins and custom resource packs :unsure:

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Removed CIS, often it got delayed on boot and MD turned on , afaik its just visual problem but still worried

So i removed CIS

+ Added Comodo firewall ( cruelsister settings)
I've seen the tray icon for CF fail to load occasionally, sometimes there is a gap between other tray icons and if I right click there the CF menu appears. I also believe that it is just a visual thing, nothing else fails to load its tray icon if it shows as running in Task Manager, but this does create concern if I look there and see no icon for CF.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I've seen the tray icon for CF fail to load occasionally, sometimes there is a gap between other tray icons and if I right click there the CF menu appears. I also believe that it is just a visual thing, nothing else fails to load its tray icon if it shows as running in Task Manager, but this does create concern if I look there and see no icon for CF.
This was mentioned on comodo forums aswell , indeed

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I wanted to test something diffferent so

+ Replaced Microsoft defender with 360 TOTAL SECURITY FREE
+ Comodo firewall (cs settings)

Google chrome:
- bitwarden
- emsisoft browser security

Adguard desktop = DNS OVER Quic ( adguard dns)

360 ts settings:

ts360.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018

As im using adguard, i dont want to have antivirus that uses https scanning ( to disable that) And im bit mad at the microsoft because my wooden desktop wont pass tpm of microsoft ,11 so i wanted to replace defender ( and edge)

I tried CIS yesterday, but the full scan on startup took over 2 hours
360 ts does not look that bad if you turn everything off

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Google chrome:
- bitwarden
- emsisoft browser security
The last time it was tested here Emsisoft browser security didn't do so good.
May I suggest Bitdefender TrafficLight as replacement?
The best protection according to the tests done by @Evjl's Rain a long time ago is Google Chrome (Google Safe Browsing) + Microsoft Defender Browser Protection (SmartScreen) + Bitdefender TrafficLight.

Off topic: @Evjl's Rain how are you doing? Time to do some more testing?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.