• Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Nvidia geforce 3080
i7 12700
1 tb ssd
16gt ram
Notable changes
avg > avira > F secure > microsoft defender > avg internet security > Avast ultimate > Microsoft Defender > trend micro > F secure > Microsoft defender> AVG > Microsoft defender > trend micro > G DATA > trend micro > f secure
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
+ Installed trend micro over microsoft defender
- trend micro on hypersensive mode enabled

+ Swapped edge to google chrome
- added trend micro browser extension

3 years license, i have installed trend micro on my android device aswell. Other family devices (4) run avast still

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Update 20.3.2023

- Removed Trend Micro ( because the web filter isnt same as on mobile security, it misses phishing sites all the time )
- Removed Google chrome ( its just bad , doesnt just work for me )

+ Added F-secure ( 3 year license)
+ Firefox :
- bitwarden
- F secure extension
+ Added Dns0 Zero as Dns

Im trying to stay with F-secure as long as i can, if i run into problems with banking protection im simply going to report those sites to customer support

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Did completely clean install first time ( got rid of acer bloat)

Current setup:
- Microsoft defender
- Microsoft Edge
- Adguard
- Dns0 Zero as DNS

Now i dont bother with 3rd party antivirus or any hardening tools, just let it be simple

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Since i have 3 year license for trend micro maximum security and its cheapish to renew my new config is:

+ Windows defender replaced with Trend micro Maximum security
+ Vivaldi replaced with google chrome, because trend micro on mobile doesnt support vivaldi ( only with the vpn profile, but adguard is using vpn for me )

I guess trend micro is light and their policy is decent, i was first going for avast but didnt bother with it :D

Also trends customer support is top notch, chatted for hour with the helper, wich helped me froze my license i was not using

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
So i did clean install and my current setup is:

Microsoft defender ( default settings)
SAC = ON
Brave browser with bitwarden
DNS = Dns0 Zero

So brave does adblocking, Dns0 does web filtering, microsoft defender + sac keeps computer secure.

I was thinking of installing lighter antivirus than defender, but since i have high end gaming desktop it doesnt matter if i use defender

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
If you download something from unknown website always, visit alot of tabs on the browser, etc then use free good AV as Avast.
I always set up my computer ready after clean install, and after that i dont download anything. Also if i happen to download something suspicious wich i dont do anyways, the smartscreen will kick in

Avast web filter is nice, but i do trust dns0

I kind of try to use combo where less is more , brave as browser and dns0 as web filter, defender as antivirus with SAC enabled is enough i guess

I have licenses of avast premium (3 years) , F secure (3 years) Trend micro (3 years)

If i wanted to use avast, i would use avast free instead of premium, due dns forcing premium does.

Edit: i appreciate the help though, avast is nice but i have used avast/avg so much im kinda burnout with it 😆

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
So the SAC started doing SAC things blocking alot of stuff last night.
Today morning i disabled it, wiped my desktop (clean install)

Went back to my new config wich is

Google chrome with Bitwarden
Adguard desktop
Dns0 Zero
Trend micro ( hypersensitive mode & high web protection enabled)

I think this is the fort now, for 3 years (;))

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
So the SAC started doing SAC things blocking alot of stuff last night.
Do you sometimes have an unstable internet connection? I could have sworn I had it atleast twice that SAC whined about unknown DLL's just when I got a Glasswire notification within like 1-2 seconds that my internet connection was lost. Could be a coincidence or I just remember it wrong *shrug*

Reactions: brambedkar59

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I'm curious if, prior to enabling SAC, you checked for updates after your last clean install? 🤔
I did clean install , updated all drivers and possible stuff i use, and day after threre is like 35x SAC warnings, mostly predator sense related as my rgb lights did not work anymore + some rundl optimization stuff. I went to wipe my desktop instantly as i got annoyed :rolleyes:

Do you sometimes have an unstable internet connection?
Dont think its connection problem, my internet is very stable

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I have done some major improvements into my config
- Removed trend micro
- Removed google chrome
- Removed adguard desktop
- Removed DNS0 zero DNS

+ Added G DATA Total security (cost 11$)
+ Added Firefox + ublock origin ( medium mode)
+ Added Cloudflare WARP + ( cost 1.4$ for ''lifetime key that lasts 3-4 years in my use)

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I have now worked 3 hours with g data and cant get my internet working at all , i have disabled every single component of antivirus, played with firewall and tried literally everything

I dont know i probably give up, factory reset computer and install something else...

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
I have now worked 3 hours with g data and cant get my internet working at all , i have disabled every single component of antivirus, played with firewall and tried literally everything

I dont know i probably give up, factory reset computer and install something else...
Could you tell us what you tried that didn't work?

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Could you tell us what you tried that didn't work?
I used every setting gdata had on/off to see if it would connect ethernet on, firewall bombarded me and i allowed and even turned firewall off but it didnt help me to connect to internet at all. i created firewall rules to allow warp+ + my ethernet but nothing worked , it was like playing with the beta version that is full of bugs

Even tried the wlan connection but that did not work. I could write problems more detailed but if i cant get it work myself i dont bother with it. Internet has no any help of g data as its not that big company than others do

Sorry im just bit angry against f-secure and g-data problems i had. It shouldnt take hours to set up something or get it working

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

I used every setting gdata had on/off to see if it would connect ethernet on, firewall bombarded me and i allowed and even turned firewall off but it didnt help me to connect to internet at all. i created firewall rules to allow warp+ + my ethernet but nothing worked , it was like playing with the beta version that is full of bugs

Even tried the wlan connection but that did not work. I could write problems more detailed but if i cant get it work myself i dont bother with it. Internet has no any help of g data as its not that big company than others do
If you turned the firewall off, your still connected to the net or should be in this case. I would assume it is probably not gdata at this point.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
If you turned the firewall off, your still connected to the net or should be in this case. I would assume it is probably not gdata at this point.
I could connect to internet when i turned antivirus module + beast off, but the warp couldnt still connect. I made firewall + antivirus excludes for warp but it did not worked at all

also i installed gdata twice to see if anything gets repaired

Firewall just didnt work at all, it did not saved any rules i made. It just bombarded stuff that it blocked stuff, minute after it allowed everything and this was happening frequently

I mean most antiviruses work out of box, it should not take hours to set it up, and making rules in firewall or exluding stuff from antivirus should work , but with gdata it did not work. i have never had this much problems with any antivirus

ps. sorry for the rant

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

I could connect to internet when i turned antivirus module + beast off, but the warp couldnt still connect. I made firewall + antivirus excludes for warp but it did not worked at all

also i installed gdata twice to see if anything gets repaired

Firewall just didnt work at all, it did not saved any rules i made. It just bombarded stuff that it blocked stuff, minute after it allowed everything and this was happening frequently

I mean most antiviruses work out of box, it should not take hours to set it up, and making rules in firewall or exluding stuff from antivirus should work , but with gdata it did not work. i have never had this much problems with any antivirus

ps. sorry for the rant
I understand your frustration. Look at the sequence. Did you install all of this in any particular order, and at what point did it stop functioning. Then track backwards through the events until you find the culprit. If you have to uninstall gdata and see if it connects, ruling out if it is the suite or another aspect.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I understand your frustration. Look at the sequence. Did you install all of this in any particular order, and at what point did it stop functioning. Then track backwards through the events until you find the culprit. If you have to uninstall gdata and see if it connects, ruling out if it is the suite or another aspect.
Warp+ was installed before g-data , after installing gdata it worked until reboot. Maybe i could install g data first and then warp + but that doesnt fix the internet problem i had

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Warp+ was installed before g-data , after installing gdata it worked until reboot. Maybe i could install g data first and then warp + but that doesnt fix the internet problem i had
Personally i would uninstall both, and install warp plus first, reboot and see if it functions. If it does, more than likely a compatibility issues with both once gdata is installed. If it has issue after reboot, you will know it was not gdata but an issue with warp.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.