VeraCrypt

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I feel an impact when test ZoneAlarm Extreme Security on VM, fyi my VM is dual-core and 2GB of ram..
Gdata is almost same like eset, no impact on system.
Thank you for your reply.
I want to learn a few things about ZoneAlarm Firewall because i am thinking of giving it a try ( only the firewall not the hole ZA suite).
By the way my system is dual core Intel P8400 and 4 GB DDR2

safe1st

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Thank you for your reply.
I want to learn a few things about ZoneAlarm Firewall because i am thinking of giving it a try ( only the firewall not the hole ZA suite).
By the way my system is dual core Intel P8400 and 4 GB DDR2

Only the firewall?
Requirements only this, from the website ZoneAlarm Free Firewall - Personal Computer Firewall Software
Microsoft® Windows® 8, 8.1, 10 - All versions
  • 32-bit / 64-bit, 2 GB RAM
  • 2 GHz or faster processor
  • 1.5GB of available hard-disk space

Reactions: tonibalas

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
1.5 GB hard-disk space:eek:?
Is this too much just for a firewall?
Norton Security needs about 650 MB of disk space.
About RAM and CPU i am ok maybe i will try it.

Reactions: safe1st

safe1st

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
1.5 GB hard-disk space:eek:?
Is this too much just for a firewall?
Norton Security needs about 650 MB of disk space.
About RAM and CPU i am ok maybe i will try it.

Just in case i think :D
not really 1.5GB...
Hope you enjoy zonealarm firewall

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
The security config has been updated as requested by the new policy :p

Nice update you have done there.
I want to ask you some questions.
Has GData improved in matter of system performance because last time i used it, it was heavy on my system.
About ZoneAlarm firewall is it heavy for an old system like mine? How much RAM is using and do you have the Free or the Pro version?

GData is a total different type of protection. Long ago i would avoid it because of high resources usage, but know, thanks so @safe1st i gave it a try and it's awsome. Not only it's very low on the system, but detected "infections" (pretty much annoying junk) Kaspersky never did. Highly recommended. Much more lighter than KAV.

Talking of ZoneAlarm, when i had it on my 4GB RAM, Intel Celeron notebook, it did cause a system impact that forced me to uninstall. Now, with a 8GB, Intel Core i5 notebook it gives me no trouble at all. If i were you, i'd give it a try and test how it works, it's a really nice protection.

When i arrive home i'll post you some screens on the RAM usage.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@Morvotron thank you for your reply.
About ZA Firewall i gave it a try and you are it's light on system and it uses 20-30 MB of RAM.
GData i will try it another day.
Please do post some screens of your current config showing GData and ZA Firewall.
About ZA do you have the free firewall or the Pro version?
And do you have on default settings or did you set it on maximum protection?

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
I think you should add Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit to your config.

Should i? GData includes anti exploit, is it better than this one?

@Morvotron thank you for your reply.
About ZA Firewall i gave it a try and you are it's light on system and it uses 20-30 MB of RAM.
GData i will try it another day.
Please do post some screens of your current config showing GData and ZA Firewall.
About ZA do you have the free firewall or the Pro version?
And do you have on default settings or did you set it on maximum protection?

I downloaded ZoneAlarm Free Firewall (not the antivirus complement included). I left all default, so it asks me just a few things and do it's job. It's an auto learning mode based on your behaviour.
GData works with the defaults settings, just configured to ask me more before desinfecting or deleting stuff, since it has been detecting "malicious activity" on system folders. Possibly false positives, just don't wanna lose my SO.

Posting screens when i leave work.

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
@tonibalas Here you have the screenshots of the required processes

GData

rE7MoaV.png

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall

5bLoF0E.png

My system hardware

JQSLCaH.png

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
UPDATE: despite ZoneAlarm was good, i chose to uninstall it because of great incompatibilities with League of Legends Client. Replaced with Comodo Firewall Free.

By now, all i can say from Comodo Firewall is:

-installation pretty long
-seems to protect very well, has different modes (training, safe, gaming) and asks when not know what to do
-internet connection has slowed down a bit
-system performance is a bit slower as well

Hope this two get better after a few reboots and registry cleaning.

bob974

Level 4
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
GData is a total different type of protection. Long ago i would avoid it because of high resources usage, but know, thanks so @safe1st i gave it a try and it's awsome. Not only it's very low on the system, but detected "infections" (pretty much annoying junk) Kaspersky never did. Highly recommended. Much more lighter than KAV.

I'm trying Gdata total protection, I confirm that Gdata is low on the system. very satisfied with detection and protection.

Reactions: Morvotron

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
I'm trying Gdata total protection, I confirm that Gdata is low on the system. very satisfied with detection and protection.
It's pretty awsome. It uses BitDefender's engine and own, still very light. Even lighter with one engine only, but i wouldn't recommend.

D

Deleted member 178

You are testing malware on this machine without a Virtual Machine, hence putting your system at risk.

Smartscreen is enabled by default in Win8 , so i edited your config summary. Crystal Security is not really necessary and bloat your system.

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
You are testing malware on this machine without a Virtual Machine, hence putting your system at risk.

Smartscreen is enabled by default in Win8 , so i edited your config summary. Crystal Security is not really necessary and bloat your system.

Hi! By "testing malware" i mean downloading and scanning, of course not running. Is that still unsafe? Why's Crystal Security not necessary?

Reactions: SpartacusSystem

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.