WoT, ad blocking (cortesy of AdGuard)
Maintenance tools
PrivaZer
Ccleaner
Glary Utilities
VeraCrypt
D

Deleted member 178

Hi! By "testing malware" i mean downloading and scanning, of course not running. Is that still unsafe? Why's Crystal Security not necessary?

Scanning may trigger the malware since the scanner access it.

About Crystal: you have Gdata , Comodo and Zemana; Comodo HIPS alone will block almost everything. Crystal won't give much more.

I

illumination

I guess it's never too late to learn! I'll perform some full scans and create a virtual machine when I get home. Thanks for the tips.
It is never too late to learn. I was not trying to be rude above, but testing live malware is not to be taken lightly. I see some that even think it is a game, which it certainly is not. Take the time to learn how to test malware, how to set up a system to do so, before attempting to actually test.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
It is never too late to learn. I was not trying to be rude above, but testing live malware is not to be taken lightly. I see some that even think it is a game, which it certainly is not. Take the time to learn how to test malware, how to set up a system to do so, before attempting to actually test.
Hey, i never felt it rude. I really appreciate you guys helping me. As i stated when i join, i know about some things, i don't about others, and i still have pretty much to learn, it's a long way. Thank you for the help!

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
UPDATE: installed VirtualBox and configured Kali and RemixOS. Still, decided not to configure any Windows machine until i learn more on how to do experienced testing. Updated the configuration as well, i'm out of MalwareHub for the time.

zsWXzwI.png

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Interesting choice: Kali

On a side note: I have a few Windows VMs: one for software, one for malware, and another one for tweaks etc.

Perhaps you can do the same :)

I

illumination

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm experienced with Kali, used to use it on my old PC, decided to give it a new try :p

I might be trying your idea, thanks again!
I'm trying to wrap my head around how you are experienced with Kali but have no idea how to set up a VM for testing o_O

Reactions: frogboy

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
I'm trying to wrap my head around how you are experienced with Kali but have no idea how to set up a VM for testing o_O
Lol I do know how to create virtual machines, I've created those two. I just didn't know the stuff about malware being trigged when scanned, that's why I wasn't using it. But now you've mentioned there are lots of thing to be taken into account, I'm doing my research to perform good tests, you made me realize I was doing nonsense. I wasn't even testing the Antivirus blocking when the file was ran, because I wasn't using a VM. I'll do my stuff and once I'm ready I'm setting up the VM. :)

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
UPDATED: removed Crystal Security (Comodo works the same and better), removed uTorrent (p2p from where i download Linux distro, replaced with qBittorent). Added Torch Browser, probably replacing Maxthon.

Reactions: safe1st

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
How effective is the torrent feature of Torch Browser? Likely its already sufficient on that case unless I'm wrong. ;)

Reactions: Morvotron

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
Well, as i told you i was gonna do, here's my brief report about Torch.

-As a typical Chromium-based browser, it creates lots of processes for a single software. Haven't seen anyways any high RAM Consuming
-Opening time really faster than Firefox
-Really awsome site loading time (better than Firefox)
-I don't like the design, looks like some PUP
-Downloads accelerator seems to work alright, have seen lots of popups like "your download has been accelerated", still haven't noticed a real highlighting change.
-Haven't come to test torrent feature yet
-Very stable, no crashes since installation nor slow downs
-Extremely configurable, as Chrome
-Fully compatible with Chrome extensions
-Includes a video and documents player i haven't tested yet

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
UPDATE:

-updated Windows 8 to Windows 8.1
-added ESET Online Scanner as an on-demand scanner
-added HitmanPro as an on-demand scanner

Reactions: silversurfer

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
EDIT:

-Removed GDATA, re-added Kaspersky.
-Removed Zemana AntiLogger since Kaspersky offers SSL protection
-Removed Comodo Firewall, replaced with TinyWall
-Updated to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1

Last edited:

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
UPDATE: lol so many updates

-Added CryptoPrevent

I never thought i'd get to have to many security software. You guys instructed me on things i wasn't even aware of.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.