Advice Request Most trustworthy antivirus & antimalware software on the market?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Stretch_

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 25, 2021
What are the most trustworthy antivirus & antimalware software on the market in your opinion, simply from a trust perspective rather than performance metrics?

Criteria I can think of could include company history, track record of anti-privacy behaviors, and perhaps even country of development.

It would also be interesting if people have some antivirus & antimalware products they consider as being highly untrustworthy at this point.

Reactions: show-Zi

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Trusted in terms of both protection and privacy at the same time? Then F-Secure ofc and possibly Emsisoft.
Eset I don't think has ever been caught doing anything dirty either, but of course it is a much more bureaucratic company than those mentioned above.

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

What are the most trustworthy antivirus & antimalware software on the market in your opinion, simply from a trust perspective rather than performance metrics?
1. Emsisoft

Christian Mairoll and Fabian Wosar are strong proponents of user privacy, doing the right thing when it comes to users, and transparency.

2. F-Secure

Both companies do not sell user data, do not install bloatware or unneeded features, both would not cooperate with a government if they could avoid doing so.

There used to be an online comparison of telemetry and privacy by antivirus. Does anyone remember where it is located online?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
1. Emsisoft

Christian Mairoll and Fabian Wosar are strong proponents of user privacy, doing the right thing when it comes to users, and transparency.

2. F-Secure

Both companies do not sell user data, do not install bloatware or unneeded features, both would not cooperate with a government if they could avoid doing so.

There used to be an online comparison of telemetry and privacy by antivirus. Does anyone remember where it is located online?
That was AV-Comparatives in 2014:
Discussion here:
Discussion at Wilders:

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

That was AV-Comparatives in 2014:
Discussion here:
Discussion at Wilders:
Thank you.

Dark Knight

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
There is no such thing as a "trusted" antivirus per se' as they all will miss something in sampling , some more than others , Malwarebytes, Trend Micro being at the bottom of that list missing the most , but according to sampling surveys Norton and Bitdefender are supposed to be amongst the best, if you are into believing things of that sort.

I use neither , I stick with Windows Security even though it is rated middle of the road because there is something to be said about common sense security ..... don't roam where you don't belong and do things you should not be doing, have strong passwords and you should be fine, I have not come across a virus , worm or trojan in ages. These days data, personal information theft and tracking seem to be more of a concern so in my opinion a good VPN would rank higher than an AV.

That is not to say I have not been known to use a paid AV , I have, but I have to be able to get a really sweet deal on it , there is no reason whatsoever to pay more than $25 - $35 a year for AV , if your paying more you are being taken for a ride. I also have a lifetime subscription to Malwarebytes I bought years ago, back when it was actually useful but very rarely use it now because of the bloat that has been added to it over the years and it also seems to be coming up with more and more false positives.

Personally myself, I tend to think AV companies pay for higher rankings to boost their own sales.... but that is just me.

But trust is all in the mind of the person doing the trusting , it all comes down what you personally are comfortable with, do regular backups this way in the event you are bitten your losses are minimal. ;)

Last edited:

nickstar1

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 10, 2022
I choose Malwarebytes for privacy due to the reason it now has mullvad VPN as one of its providers and mullvad is probably one of the most respected VPN's. I get that Malwarebytes is not on par yet with the "big guns" but they are steadily improving. Malwarebytes also blocks websites system wide which not all products do. I dont feel that Malwarebytes has "bloat" it might not be the lightest on systems but defiantly doesn't have useless programs such as avast and a few other well known products.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.