Battle Mozilla firefox vs google chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martiin

Thread author
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
Which one has better extensions/add-ons? I heard that adblock plus on firefox is much better than google chrome and the same goes for many other extensions, does this remain true?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Internet Explorer will not install properly and Chrome crashes repeatedly, so MoFox. I also like Opera and Comodo Dragon.
Hm, ..so Comodo Dragon doesn't crash as Chrome does in XP? I'd leaned away from the Chrome browser (on my XP) mainly because it behaves noticeably slower than 'MoFox'.:D The reason why I'm *Laughing* now is because the 1st time I'd read your unique abbreviation:rolleyes: I hadn't noticed the 'X', ..oops!:p

Last edited:
Reactions: Gnosis

Sven

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
I love Firefox, and still wanna use it but I can't, due to its untimely crashes and 'its a pain in the neck' synchronization.. I'm a 'bookmarker', and want to know that my bookmarks are with me all the time, sadly, Firefox's sync is terrible. Chrome doesn't crash on my system, and its quite stable this far.

Gotta rehearse, I do love Firefox and want to use it, but it has nasty amount of lacking points that Chrome has.

So, one Google account (and Chrome) to rule them all! :D

Thanks. :D

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
so Comodo Dragon doesn't crash as Chrome does in XP

Comodo Ice Dragon, and Comodo Dragon have worked very well, and have worked without tediousness on sites where I need to fill forms. Firefox sometimes makes it difficult in that respect, but an active browser add-on could be to blame. In all fairness to Chrome, my current OS may have some corrupt aspects to it because this system has been used hard, and long. You cannot install IE on this OS. I have tried several times for .gov stuff that requires IE. Other than that, I have ZERO use for IE.
Furthermore, this system has had two nasty infections on it (2-3 years ago; TDSS/Alureon). I used Combofix for both. That is why I started using a paranoid behavior blocker and PCHunter, because who knows if you are really "clean" in some cases. At least with a BB I know what processes are happening behind the scenes at ALL times.

Don't forget the "x" in MoFox. ;)

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'd like to assume add-ons make managing privacy a breeze, but if you're looking for settings without needing addons. Firefox has Privacy settings in the Options. You will need to read their help pages, to get a better understand and it explains in more detail.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/settings-privacy-browsing-history-do-not-track

If you don't wish the browser to save browsing history or search / data form entries, you can always use Private mode.

Just something to consider. :D

upload_2014-1-22_18-41-17.png

D

Deleted member 178

Gnosis why you don't reinstall a fresh XP? after an infection , it is the first thing i will do; i don't believe in a 100% clean removal without crippled files

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Yeah. The old XP works great. If there was any malicious activity going on from ancient infections, I am quite certain that my behavior blocker would pick up the noise. "Ring 0" "Kernel Module" and "Ring 3" tabs in PCHunter reveal the rest of what I need to know.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Going to have to go with Chrome. I used to use Firefox back from about 2007 to 2011 but now (on my system atleast) it just feels....clunky where Google Chrome feels smooth.

As for addons I really can't tell, I don't use alot except for ABP.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Opera was always good to me. I was under the impression that they were calling it quits though. Enlighten me.
Here is an excerpt from an article that gets to the meat of where Opera is going.
"By dropping the Presto rendering engine and making the switch to Blink (WebKit)/Chromium, ...developers no longer need to worry about performance and standards compliance; they can now focus on Opera’s user experience and unique features, which are ultimately the only way that Opera will keep or gain market share.
Chromium... is an open-source browser developed by Google that Chrome (and Chrome OS) is based on. Chromium is very, very similar to Chrome, except that it misses a few proprietary features, such as the built-in Flash player. Chromium used to be powered by the WebKit rendering engine, but recently Google forked WebKit to create Blink, a simpler, faster layout engine.
By adopting Chromium, Opera have done more than just drop the Presto rendering engine, though — in essence, Opera is now the Chromium browser, but with a custom UI tacked on the front. If you go into the Settings or Extensions panes, it’s almost like you’re using Chrome.
"
http://www.extremetech.com/computin...lable-to-download-its-fast-but-lacks-features
Now, back to the question of extensions, I'm going to download Comodo Dragon or Google Chrome to compare alongside Firefox on Windows 8.1 with equal extensions. I'm hoping for smoother & faster browsing, & will let you know!

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus and Gnosis

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Hi, Cats-4_Owners-2!
(Now, back to the question of extensions, I'm going to download Comodo Dragon or Google Chrome to compare alongside Firefox on Windows 8.1 with equal extensions. I'm hoping for smoother & faster browsing, & will let you know!)

What did you find out? What is opinion on Comodo IceDragon? Which one have the less ram usage? Also, what is the size of the install? Additionally, Opera seem to be good but, less extensions?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I've been using Chrome on our household's newer more quirky 8.1 system today.:) I kept essentially the same, or substituted some for similar, security extensions discussed & also added onto Firefox for both XP & Windows 7 systems.:cool: With Chrome, I chose Adblock (Adblock plus on Firefox), Ghostery, HTTPS Everywhere (beta release), Lastpass, Scriptblock (filling the absence of NoScript), & WOT. Scriptblock is relatively new for Chrome. It's straightforward setting it to remember to Allow, Block, or Temporarily Allow scripts, & works very smoothly! I recommend it.;) Browsing with Win 8.1 initially feels more responsive with the latest Chrome:cool: in comparison with our latest released Firefox. The opposite has been true on the tried & true XP sp 3 where Chrome's greater demand on resources led me to choose to replace it with Comodo Dragon which feels lighter, faster, yet nearly identical, albeit shall need to catch up with Chrome's update patcheso_O ..forever.:rolleyes: Humbly, IMO, browsing w/Sandboxie makes up for this. I think Opera/Chromium/under Blink shall continue to have less extensions than available for Chrome. I think I favor Comodo's alternative offering, Ice Dragon, to Firefox on our Windows 7 (stable Dragon stable); and so installed Comodo Dragon there too!;):p :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.