Mozilla removes all Avast Firefox extensions

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

As i said so many times here and there, the masses' rule and whining geeks can cry, shout, make hundreds of post in their insignificant blogs, they are basically just a good laugh to those companies.

CEO: Wow! look at that article bashing us, Joe , how many users we lost since this was published?
Joe (sales director): 1000 from our 10 millions pool...
CEO: Damn! we going to bankrupt !
CEO & Joe: hahahahaha

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

--- Sunday's cheap philosophy class started --

Greed and Envy are the foundation of progress , without them , no will to surpass the others and hence no development.

-- Sunday's cheap philosôphy class ended --

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
In the news again today.

Avast can record almost every mouse click that the user makes during online sessions
Wladimir Palant has claimed that Avast[3] might be able to spy on each move that the user makes on the Internet sphere while completing various online activities, and so on.[4] If the suspicious extensions are installed on a person's web browser app, these tools can record data such as the URLs you have entered and visited, a UID (unique user identifier),[5] the way you enter certain websites (bookmarks, directly, etc.), details about your browser, including the browser name and last updated variant, the country code you are currently using, and the version of your OS.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Tentacles. I was at a large drugstore chain that had been recenlty swallowed up by another. They wouldn't take my discount card but offered me a similar type discount that required my cell phone #, which I provided. Next thing I know, I get mucho calls from strange #s. Thankfully, they don't leave voicemails or texts which would rack up the charges. It's just ridiculous: genuinely "free" and "discount" are becoming extinct, like the dodo.

All this stuff swirling around Avast and its subsidiaries, I just walk the other way. It's not wrong to mine data nowadays, but everybody has limits and Avast et al. exceeded mine a while ago. Too much bad press, too often.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Pls
Not surprised. I had installed their AV for Windows Server (Test Server) and it just pushed out a ton of garbage (intrusive analytics) to them. Avast itself is malware/spyware. Overrated junk. It was promptly removed and cleaned from the server. They are now on the AV Blacklist along with Malwarbytes who are no better. Glad to see bad applications and plugins being removed regardless of their reputations. (y)
Pls let me know why Malwarebytes is no better.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I wonder why people are so concerned about telemetry, most are anonymous datas needed by devs/companies to get precise infos on how their products behave and are used.

By logic, if you install a software on your system, it means you trust the vendor. So if if you trust it, why being so concerned by datas it may gathers...
Same logic, when you live with a roomate, you trust her with some personal details about your life.

As far as I know, the worst intrusive telemetry in extensions made by respectable companies would only collect, IPs, URLs and eventually your machine or browser profile name . They aren't (I hope) keyloggers.

Of course, it is better if they don't mine you, but it is up to them and their business plan (you have no control over it), however you can mitigate it via some methods if you feel uncomfortable.

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
Emsisosft and Malwarebytes are the 2 companies I respect the most due to their privacy policies and superb customer support.

Don't forget about Ikarus, thier support is good and plus on that look at their privacy policy (I use it on mobile - trial for now)

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I wonder why people are so concerned about telemetry, most are anonymous datas needed by devs/companies to get precise infos on how their products behave and are used.

By logic, if you install a software on your system, it means you trust the vendor. So if if you trust it, why being so concerned by datas it may gathers...
Same logic, when you live with a roomate, you trust her with some personal details about your life.

As far as I know, the worst intrusive telemetry in extensions made by respectable companies would only collect, IPs, URLs and eventually your machine or browser profile name . They aren't (I hope) keyloggers.

Of course, it is better if they don't mine you, but it is up to them and their business plan (you have no control over it), however you can mitigate it via some methods if you feel uncomfortable.

While unfortunate.... this is probably the most logical and reasonable philosophical approach.

Minimize exposure and mitigate to a point that is not too cumbersome.... but accept that this is just part of internet usage.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.