Mozilla removes all Avast Firefox extensions

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Just in case you are curious: It's quite easy to figure out whether or not an extension is spying on you. In Firefox just go to this URL: about:debugging#/runtime/this-firefox

Then click "Inspect" next to the plugin:

View attachment 230540

This will open the usual web developer tools that you can also open with F12, but for the addon specifically. You can then pretty much just switch to the network tab and start browsing to sites. Any requests performed by the extension you are inspecting will show up in the network log and you can see exactly what kind of data is being transferred.

For TrafficLight for example, the extension will send every single URL you visit to Bitdefender:

View attachment 230541

Works for all extensions really and you don't have to blindly trust what the extension creator claims they send. Chrome has a similar tool IMHO, but I switched away from Chrome some time ago once they announced their breaking changes to ad blockers. Never looked back.
I want to say I'm grateful you are taking time to explain this to us. Thank you.

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
about:debugging#/runtime/this-firefox
Don't know how to get to Request Body view.
png_3278.png

I can get to Params view
png_3282.png

png_3281.png

Last edited:

Caps Lock

Jan 3, 2020
As I know, Firefox extensions are not included in the Mozilla blacklist. Does this mean that Avast and AVG extensions were removed from the store but were not blocked? Will previously installed extensions continue to work in Firefox browsers?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.