MRG Effitas MRG Effitas Assessment & Certification – Q1 2020

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Out of twelve tested security products, ten managed to meet the specification to attain our Q1 2020 360 Degree Certification, these being:

• Avast Business Antivirus
• Avira Antivirus Pro
• Bitdefender Endpoint Security
• CrowdStrike Falcon Protect Sensor
• Microsoft Windows Defender
• ESET Endpoint Security
• F-Secure Computer Protection Premium
• Kaspersky Small Office Security
• Symantec Endpoint Protection Cloud
• Trend Micro Security
1.PNG

Full report here

Mariihh

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2018
Best free AV? Neither Avira, nor Panda, nor Kaspersky, nor Bitdefender. Windows Defender is his name (y)
Now, it’s amazing how strong Bitdefender is, it’s relentless in all tests if you notice.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Best free AV? Neither Avira, nor Panda, nor Kaspersky, nor Bitdefender. Windows Defender is his name (y)
Now, it’s amazing how strong Bitdefender is, it’s relentless in all tests if you notice.
WD free was not tested, but Microsoft Defender ATP (endpoint detection and response capabilities were turned on including ASR rules). You could probably use ConfigureDefender to activate some important ATP features (like ASR rules), but the full ATP is stronger.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
WD free was not tested, but Microsoft Defender ATP (endpoint detection and response capabilities were turned on including ASR rules). You could probably use ConfigureDefender to activate some important ATP features (like ASR rules), but the full ATP is stronger.
In fact no free or consumer products seemed to be tested. Most of these are business endpoint solutions.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
MRG Effitas always used the business or endpoint AV versions, except WD. In Q4 2017 the WD on default settings was tested for the first time. From Q4 2019 the WD with ATP features (ASR included) is tested. One can easily compare the difference in the exploit/fileless tests between Q3 2019 and Q4 2019.
It is strange, but I have never seen any test when WD ATP would be tested with any free AV.:)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Good to see ESET and Bitdefender doing well. Some AVs tested here will have the same result if their Home product version were tested. Eg: ESET, Kaspersky (Not fully sure about K).
I'm curious what type of detection are considered as behavior blocking to them? ESET and Avira had a few blocked by behavior blocking which we know don't have a typical behavior blockers like some other solutions :unsure:

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Proof Symantec is better than MacAfee by default .(most samples won't be affected by the network change made to Symantec)
MacAfee endpoint was the only one to fail while Symantec got level 1 score with bitdefender and ESET.
Defender would probably get level 1 Next year as Microsoft made so many improvements this year alone.
To say the truth if I was offered windows ATP over Symantec i would be using it.
It would decrease management a lot.

Last edited:

security.paranoid

Level 2
Verified
Dec 6, 2014
Proof Symantec is better than MacAfee by default .(most samples won't be affected by the network change made to Symantec)
MacAfee endpoint was the only one to fail while Symantec got level 1 score with bitdefender and ESET.
Defender would probably get level 1 Next year as Microsoft made so many improvements this year alone.
To say the truth if I was offered windows ATP over Symantec i would be using it.
It would decrease management a lot.
i have the license but i cant buy the training because its not available in my country and i found no online training related to ATP :(
Captuazdazdre.PNG

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.