Advice Request Must have features in your Antivirus

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

D

Deleted member 65228

Look for dynamic prevention mechanisms.

We're in 2018 now and attacks are doubling/tripping each year, and also becoming more sophisticated. We're even seeing Heavens Gate being applied to bitcoin miners, which is really not good. If you want to be safe then use a layered protection configuration and ensure that dynamic protection is part of this. Some security solutions can also be tweaked for a lock-down feeling, a positive thing to always have if it's appropriate for you.

Areas such as HIPS/BB and exploit protection all come under "dynamic prevention". Anything which mitigates based on behaviour counts as "dynamic prevention", and areas such as pre-execution within an emulated/virtual environment is also intriguing - not to mention many sandbox choices which are available, some even for free.

There's no excuse to have an insecure system nowadays given the wide variety of choice for free/premium (and the ranges of pricing). You can never be full-proof but you can sure as hell try.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
1. Prompt on detecting threats, instead of auto quarantine
2. The ability to whitelist anything detected from the alert when something is detected and also from the scan results screen
3. Extremely light
4. Behaviour blocker
5. Able to download and install new versions itself, rather than requiring you to manually download and run the installer for the new version

There's no excuse to have an insecure system nowadays given the wide variety of choice for free/premium (and the ranges of pricing). You can never be full-proof but you can sure as hell try.

Those that don't even bother to do anything beyond what is shipped with Windows have an excuse. Average Joes don't know any better.

Who is teaching them ? No one. That's who.

Security begins with knowledge - and not by installing any security soft.

Default-deny is more reliable than dynamic protections, but let's be 100 % honest when it comes to the security soft geek crowd. With the security soft geek crowd, technically they don't need security softs. It's the Average Joes that need the security soft. It's the "they can handle it, but they don't need it vs. they can't handle it, but they do need it" argument.

People should use what they like and stick with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 65228

Default-deny is more reliable than dynamic protections
If they have a configuration which includes dynamic aspects, a malicious payload may be prevented from causing harm/doing as much harm. You could always combine default-deny with dynamic, that would be good. That way your system is locked down but if you make a really stupid decision by allowing something you shouldn't have then maybe the dynamic protection might kick in and prevent that MBR attack (for example).

But yes I agree, people should use whatever they like. I guess AVs tend to more convenient for most average home users, especially with options like Avast Free AV. Although I guess many people these days can't be bothered to learn about staying safe which is a shame really

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
If they have a configuration which includes dynamic aspects, a malicious payload may be prevented from causing harm/doing as much harm. You could always combine default-deny with dynamic, that would be good. That way your system is locked down but if you make a really stupid decision by allowing something you shouldn't have then maybe the dynamic protection might kick in and prevent that MBR attack (for example).

But yes I agree, people should use whatever they like. I guess AVs tend to more convenient for most average home users, especially with options like Avast Free AV.
How to solve users who are trigger happy?

Software must be programed to be idiotproof and foolproof. Prompt the user once, twice or even thrice if the situation necessitates it. Software makes intelligent decision to prevent user from proceeding if it senses that there's a danger to the system even if the user makes a stupid decision

D

Deleted member 65228

How to solve users who are trigger happy?

Software must be programed to be idiotproof and foolproof. Prompt the user once, twice or even thrice if the situation necessitates it. Software makes intelligent decision to prevent user from proceeding if it senses that there's a danger to the system even if the user makes a stupid decision
Well I'm not saying you can solve click-happy users and I'm not saying it is full-proof. All I am saying is that default-deny or no default-deny, dynamic can still be beneficial in some cases. Sure a silly user could just ignore an alert but that doesn't necessarily mean all will, and then there is the automation side where some vendors auto-quarantine/auto-terminate by default with dynamic.

I'd say for a normal environment... vendor should just take the auto-block approach for something like the MBR being attacked. Because you bet there will be people to not take it seriously. At least then, they have more work to restore from the quarantine and re-run it, which they might not do if they are lazy

Although I guess many people these days can't be bothered to learn about staying safe which is a shame really

Nobody is teaching them. Plus human beings have priorities that defy common sense. Figuratively preparing now to put out fires that are most definitely in one's future don't make it onto most peoples' priorities list. Buying various insurances is one of them. Learning about and installing a security soft another. And saving for retirement a really big one.

Although Avast Free has a fairly good word-of-mouth following.

According to one developer that was once here, popularity is the defining factor. Well if that were the case then Avast Free would be installed on every system in the world.

Most people want the default-allow option thinking that it will allow them to get away with doing what they want, when they want on their systems and foolishly expecting that it will protect them against 100 % of all threats. The usual uninformed expectations.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
What everyone else has said but in addition to that:
- A good way to look at logs.
Nothing bothers me more than getting a message that something has been blocked and the logs are hidden away or even worse, there's no good reason given why something was blocked.

-Good cleanup
If an AV detects malware and deletes only one component while the malware drops a sister file somewhere else, it's useless to me. I want my AV solution to chase down all components of a malware, not just one.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
1/ light on CPU and RAM usage, no noticeable slowdown
2/ good offline signatures and always up-to-date + cloud
3/ has an above average BB
4/ do not show too many prompts
5/ quarantine and good exclusion features

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
One Av., It is an important piece for some more than others.
For the advanced is not so important. But for those who are not, it is important because they depend on it to be protected.
1 good signatures
2 Good behavior detector.
3 Work with the cloud
4 has few false positives
5 Low consumption of RAM and CPU

DavidLMO

Level 4
Verified
Dec 25, 2017
I guess AVs tend to more convenient for most average home users, especially with options like Avast Free AV. Although I guess many people these days can't be bothered to learn about staying safe which is a shame really

True. And Avast Free would leave many Jane & Joes bleary eyed should they do more than install and forget.. Ditto for many of the Security products out there. Love to see a typical Jane try to wade thru Comodo firewall.

P

plat1098

Must-haves:

--easy-to-navigate, comprehensive and attractive user interface
--flawless product updates and module installations. Every time.
--ongoing, dedicated development
--competitive performance relative to the industry average (I can always supplement with a standalone).
--good configuration capability to permit use without annoying nags/blocks/conflicts/system errors. In other words: be quiet.

I'll work with standalones for zero days (my chief concern) as Windows security permits easy layering. Windows Defender is lacking in the interface department :mad: but you can make it look OK. I guess.

holst

Level 1
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
Easy on your system resources.
Not breaking your computer configuration
System monitoring, protecting against ransomware and other exploits
Easy navigating to the menus and easy tweaking
Goodies like a Firewall, private browsing, web security, password manager: I don't care about them, there are much better free options. Just my opinion.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.