Advice Request Must have security software for a Windows 10 Enterprise Laptop?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
What would you install and how would you configure windows 10 Enterprise? I am already running F-Secure

If you're setting up a new laptop with Windows 10 Enterprise and already running F-Secure, here are some additional security software and configuration settings you can use to enhance your system's security:
  1. Security Software:
    • a. Malwarebytes: Install Malwarebytes alongside F-Secure for additional malware protection.
    • b. GlassWire: Use this network monitoring tool to track your network activity and detect potential threats.
    • c. VeraCrypt: Install VeraCrypt for encrypting your sensitive files and folders.
    • d. 1Password or LastPass: Use a password manager to securely store and manage your passwords.
  2. Windows 10 Enterprise Configuration:
    • a. Enable BitLocker: Turn on BitLocker Drive Encryption to protect your data in case of device theft or unauthorized access.
    • b. Windows Defender Firewall: Ensure the Windows Defender Firewall is enabled and properly configured.
    • c. Configure User Account Control (UAC): Set UAC to "Always notify" to ensure you're prompted for any changes to your system.
    • d. Disable Autorun: Turn off Autorun to prevent malware from automatically executing when external devices are connected.
    • e. Enable Controlled Folder Access: This feature in Windows Defender will help protect important folders from unauthorized changes.
    • f. Windows Updates: Configure automatic updates to ensure your system is always up-to-date with the latest security patches.
    • g. Disable unnecessary services: Reduce your system's attack surface by disabling services you don't need.
    • h. Configure Group Policy: Use the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) to enforce security policies and settings throughout your system.
    • i. Configure AppLocker: Use AppLocker to restrict the execution of unauthorized software on your system.
    • j. Network security: Configure your network settings to use a secure DNS provider and set up a VPN for secure browsing on public Wi-Fi networks.
  3. Additional Configuration:
    • a. Regularly update all installed software: Make sure to keep all your installed software up-to-date to prevent potential security risks.
    • b. Backup your data: Regularly back up your important files to an external drive or cloud storage to prevent data loss.
    • c. Educate yourself and your employees: Stay informed about security best practices and train your employees to follow them.
These are just a few recommendations for enhancing the security of your laptop running Windows 10 Enterprise. Your specific security requirements might vary based on your use case and the sensitivity of the data you work with.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
If you're setting up a new laptop with Windows 10 Enterprise and already running F-Secure, here are some additional security software and configuration settings you can use to enhance your system's security:
  1. Security Software: a. Malwarebytes: Install Malwarebytes alongside F-Secure for additional malware protection. b. GlassWire: Use this network monitoring tool to track your network activity and detect potential threats. c. VeraCrypt: Install VeraCrypt for encrypting your sensitive files and folders. d. 1Password or LastPass: Use a password manager to securely store and manage your passwords.
  2. Windows 10 Enterprise Configuration: a. Enable BitLocker: Turn on BitLocker Drive Encryption to protect your data in case of device theft or unauthorized access. b. Windows Defender Firewall: Ensure the Windows Defender Firewall is enabled and properly configured. c. Configure User Account Control (UAC): Set UAC to "Always notify" to ensure you're prompted for any changes to your system. d. Disable Autorun: Turn off Autorun to prevent malware from automatically executing when external devices are connected. e. Enable Controlled Folder Access: This feature in Windows Defender will help protect important folders from unauthorized changes. f. Windows Updates: Configure automatic updates to ensure your system is always up-to-date with the latest security patches. g. Disable unnecessary services: Reduce your system's attack surface by disabling services you don't need. h. Configure Group Policy: Use the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) to enforce security policies and settings throughout your system. i. Configure AppLocker: Use AppLocker to restrict the execution of unauthorized software on your system. j. Network security: Configure your network settings to use a secure DNS provider and set up a VPN for secure browsing on public Wi-Fi networks.
  3. Additional Configuration: a. Regularly update all installed software: Make sure to keep all your installed software up-to-date to prevent potential security risks. b. Backup your data: Regularly back up your important files to an external drive or cloud storage to prevent data loss. c. Educate yourself and your employees: Stay informed about security best practices and train your employees to follow them.
These are just a few recommendations for enhancing the security of your laptop running Windows 10 Enterprise. Your specific security requirements might vary based on your use case and the sensitivity of the data you work with.
The security software part is IMO not the best advice.
Malwarebytes is not so great nowadays, could be used as a second opinion scanner, but Norton Power Eraser and Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool are much better for that purpose.
1Password or LastPass, after all the hacks that occurred with LastPass I would change that recommendation to 1Password or Bitwarden.
EDIT: and why advice on configuring Windows Defender when they use F-Secure?

Last edited:

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
The security software part is IMO not the best advice.
Malwarebytes is not so great nowadays, could be used as a second opinion scanner, but Norton Power Eraser and Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool are much better for that purpose.
1Password or LastPass, after all the hacks that occurred with LastPass I would change that recommendation to 1Password or Bitwarden.
EDIT: and why advice on configuring Windows Defender when they use F-Secure?
Great post :) I know you can't cover all the second-opinion scanners, but is EEK still a good option, as I tend to like that one?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Great post :) I know you can't cover all the second-opinion scanners, but is EEK still a good option, as I tend to like that one?
If you look at the testing done by @cruelsister there are only 2 good ones: NPE and KVRT.
And the discussion here:
MalwareTips HUB requirements:
On-Demand scan " Second Opinion Scanner " ( SOS ) : required at the end of the test after OS reboot, to better show the final system status as Protected or Infected. To be consistent with other testers and results, testers must use at least two SOS. Norton PowerEraser ( NPE ) AND Kaspersky ( KVRT, add also C:\Users\ + C:\ProgramData\ ). Testers are always welcome to use additional scanners if wanted or needed. Example: EEK ( EmsiSoft ) or HMP ( Sophos HitmanPro ) etc. Zemana is from now on deprecated from the Hub.
Personally, I also use AdwCleaner to check on laptops from family members and friends that I support.
IMO those 3 are enough.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
One more thing

e. Enable Controlled Folder Access: This feature in Windows Defender will help protect important folders from unauthorized changes.

If I'm not wrong CFA requires MS Defender to be enabled which means you have 3 AVs running in real time ie F-Secure, Malwarebytes and MS Defender. Is that good?

Some AV have this protected folder feature which you can specify to add file-types to protect so CFA (and MS Defender) is not required. And the blocked/allowed app feature in AV works similarly in whitelisting apps to run, like in AppLocker.

Since you have Windows Enterprise I would suggest you make full use of its GPO and configure MS Defender to the max + CFA + AppLocker + disabling USB port access etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Zero Knowledge

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.