App Review Second Opinion Scanners- Part 1

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
cruelsister

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Sophos Scan and Clean asks for a business address email before you can download it.

Attachments

• Sophos S&C email.PNG
    Sophos S&C email.PNG
    60.8 KB · Views: 131

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
it`s not correct test
no detection (cloud, signature) from dropped file - not perform decently.
this scanners based on cloud, signature based. not a behavior
for undetected malware need to use other tools (autoruns, etc....)

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
typical user runs scan, it returns no findings, user thinks system is safe
security software can not compensate for what a user does not know
Well said! Like UAC, Windows firewall, WD, this group of things belong to what one can term "feel good" security. Running them makes one feel safe but actually they are doing much, much less than what is the common assumption. They are actually dangerous because one may still "feel good" while actually have a terminal disease.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I could download it without any problem using a common email.
I really did not know that there was this free disinfection tool, which is seen in the video, has to improve.
Thanks for this post, it convinced me to investigate further.

I'd seen the 'business address email' notification in the past when I'd tried to download Sophos Scan & Clean, so I tried again today using a Yahoo email that I use for unimportant registrations, sign-ups etc and I got the same result, as the screenshot shows. Then I made another attempt to download it with another personal email address and a VPN using a USA server, this also resulted in the same 'business' email issue failure. I'm in the UK BTW. So I tried again, with a different personal email address and using a VPN to suggest that I'm in Argentina ;-) Hey ho, result, thanks. Now I can scan using Sophos Scan & Clean knowing that I'll get a clean bill of health thanks to cruelsister's research!

Ssshh, don't tell Sophos!

Edit - I should have stated that the business email issue may arise due to the "End user Terms of Use & Export Compliance" regulations.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
That is annoying / unnecessary of Sophos, try this link: Cybersecurity Delivered | Sophos Security Solutions
Thanks, but clicking through from the landing page took me to the same page that I screenshot above, with the same demand for a business address email. I don't know if the email thing is a location-based demand or not. If others find the same problem the VPN route might be their best bet too.

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
Thanks, but clicking through from the landing page took me to the same page that I screenshot above, with the same demand for a business address email. I don't know if the email thing is a location-based demand or not. If others find the same problem the VPN route might be their best bet too.

Let's see if you can download it from this link, fingers crossed.
Sin título.jpg

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Just wondering, if EEK didn't do that well does this mean that the protection level in Emsisoft AV is not that great as well??
No, that's defenitely the wrong conclusion. EEK only does static scanning without using any of EAM behavioural protection components. Most AV's rely a lot on their behavioural or AI capabilities to detect and block scripting malware.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Interesting, I tried it with my Gmail account, and it worked; but I was using a paid VPN for the first time, in my case AdGuard VPN.

If you do want the Sophos Scan & Clean file, maybe I can send it to you somehow, or perhaps you will decide to use Norton Power Eraser and / or ESET Online Scanner and / or Malwarebytes AdwCleaner instead.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.