App Review Second Opinion Scanners- Part 1

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
cruelsister

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
@Petrovic Thank you very much! for providing the Sophos Scan And Clean links. I did a scan just for testing and no real threats were found.😉
1673911957555.png

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
There is nothing wrong with majorgeeks, they are not (frown). I've downloaded many things there and had no problems so far I must have sent the wrong smilies in the post to @goodjohnjr, was not this :( and yes this ;) Will say you got it wrong? You know I do not offend people here on MT. First of all, I sincerely apologize if I offended you.(y)
I was not offended in the least, just curious why downloading at MG had a "frown" icon. Why jump thru hoops to DL at Sophos if you can get same thing at MG with one click.

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
I was not offended in the least, just curious why downloading at MG had a "frown" icon. Why jump thru hoops to DL at Sophos if you can get same thing at MG with one click.
I had downloaded the Sophos Scan & Clean and another site and because I had not located in majorgeeks, the official site of Sophos not allowed to download, even you making the registration, commented with @goodjohnjr in another post, and showed the screenshot of virustotal, file size and hash, he told me it did not confer with his, if he sees my comment he can confirm this what I saying. When he told me, I downloaded it and did not run it, I waited an hour to find someone or a reliable source for me to test Sophos Scan & Clean. The File is really "CLEAN" digital signature, all the same, different hash, different size, so I was in doubt to run it. Did you get the story? Now I won't even send a smile no....

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
I had downloaded the Sophos Scan & Clean and another site and because I had not located in majorgeeks, the official site of Sophos not allowed to download, even you making the registration, commented with @goodjohnjr in another post, and showed the screenshot of virustotal, file size and hash, he told me it did not confer with his, if he sees my comment he can confirm this what I saying. When he told me, I downloaded it and did not run it, I waited an hour to find someone or a reliable source for me to test Sophos Scan & Clean. The File is really "CLEAN" digital signature, all the same, different hash, different size, so I was in doubt to run it. Did you get the story? Now I won't even send a smile no....
I can confirm that the VirusTotal report for the file that Piquiteco had the other day, not only had a different file size from the one that I got from Sophos, but it also had several detections on VirusTotal; unlike the file that I got from Sophos.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Unless you work in Government in the U.K I'm not sure what Sophos will add to your protection? Their free/paid UTM is decent but other than that I don't see much value from their AV/AE programs. They are not terrible, but middle of road quality. I feel sad for Surfright.nl customers because the company sold out to Sophos, HMP Alert and HMP have sort of been neutered and lost and forgotten.

Asking for email to download a free software program is rubbish 😧 and should not be tolerated 👎. Because it's not free, is it? You pay by receiving marketing emails or what most users would call SPAM :poop:.

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
I feel sad for Surfright.nl customers because the company sold out to Sophos, HMP Alert and HMP have sort of been neutered and lost and forgotten.
Just a question just out of curiosity, so you mean Hitman Pro was not from Sophos? Now Sophos bought it? so the blue GUI of Sophos Scan & Clean is similar to hitman pro, I saw that the interface looks familiar.

Reactions: Zero Knowledge

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Hitman Pro (& HMP Alert) was originally developed by a Dutch company called Surfright, the company was bought by Sophos a few years back.
So they are the same products, subscription, cloud? just downloaded hitman pro, but actually took to the Sophos site for that damn registration page asking for your name your email, even if you enter your correct data it sends you to the second registration page. But hitman pro was already easy to locate in a "safe" place. I guess a good comparison would be like AVG and AVAST so to speak?
1673926411401.png
1673926479707.png

Reactions: Zero Knowledge

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
So they are the same products, subscription, cloud? just downloaded hitman pro, but actually took to the Sophos site for that damn registration page asking for your name your email, even if you enter your correct data it sends you to the second registration page. But hitman pro was already easy to locate in a "safe" place. I guess a good comparison would be like AVG and AVAST so to speak?
But from what I heard the difference is that the free version of HMP only lets you scan but not remove threats. You needed to that manually. No idea if that change in the last two years.

Sophos Clean lets you delete malware, apparently

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
But from what I heard the difference is that the free version of HMP only lets you scan but not remove threats. You needed to that manually. No idea if that change in the last two years.

Sophos Clean lets you delete malware, apparently
The free version of HMP lets you remove threats for thirty days. The thirty days only starts the first time you remove threats, not when you're using just it to scan for malware. Sophos Scan & Clean always lets you remove malware for free, but unlike HMP it does not have the option to scan specific folders.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
oh! the hash did not match! if you mentioned that previously, sorry I missed it.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Regarding HMP vs Scan&Clean differences-

HMP is a paid product. It also allows scheduled scan to be done and can be integrated in the shell.
In addition one can view the detection history log, and can input a VirusTotal API key. Finally there is the Early Warning Scoring function that can be enabled in HMP and does not exist (thank God as it can cause more issues than it is worth- my opinion, but I'm always correct).

The detection capability of the products are identical.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Hi Guys! Sorry for another post (and I know it's off-topic, but since this is my topic...), Just wanted to share something for your enlightenment and amusement: I've been playing around with an AI and wanted to see if it would write a review of Sophos Scan&Clean for me, so I asked, and here it is:

"Sophos Scan & Clean is a free malware scanner and removal tool offered by Sophos, a well-known security software company. This tool allows users to scan their computer for malware and remove any threats that are found.

One of the key features of Sophos Scan & Clean is its ability to detect and remove a wide range of malware, including viruses, trojans, worms, rootkits, and more. It uses a combination of behavioral analysis and signature-based detection to identify and eliminate malware.

Sophos Scan & Clean also includes a feature called "Advanced Cleaning" which is designed to remove malware that may have infected key system files, making it more difficult to remove.

Users generally report that Sophos Scan & Clean is a fast and effective tool for detecting and removing malware. It is also lightweight and easy to use. However, it is worth noting that Sophos Scan & Clean is a free tool and may not include all of the features found in paid antivirus software.

Overall, Sophos Scan & Clean is a useful tool for detecting and removing malware, and it is a good choice for users who are looking for a free option. However, as it is a scan-only software, you may also want to consider a full-featured antivirus program for ongoing protection."

Wonder if it can do UTube video reviews...

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Hi Guys! Sorry for another post (and I know it's off-topic, but since this is my topic...), Just wanted to share something for your enlightenment and amusement: I've been playing around with an AI and wanted to see if it would write a review of Sophos Scan&Clean for me,
AptChat?

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Hi Guys! Sorry for another post (and I know it's off-topic, but since this is my topic...), Just wanted to share something for your enlightenment and amusement: I've been playing around with an AI and wanted to see if it would write a review of Sophos Scan&Clean for me, so I asked, and here it is:

"Sophos Scan & Clean is a free malware scanner and removal tool offered by Sophos, a well-known security software company. This tool allows users to scan their computer for malware and remove any threats that are found.

One of the key features of Sophos Scan & Clean is its ability to detect and remove a wide range of malware, including viruses, trojans, worms, rootkits, and more. It uses a combination of behavioral analysis and signature-based detection to identify and eliminate malware.

Sophos Scan & Clean also includes a feature called "Advanced Cleaning" which is designed to remove malware that may have infected key system files, making it more difficult to remove.

Users generally report that Sophos Scan & Clean is a fast and effective tool for detecting and removing malware. It is also lightweight and easy to use. However, it is worth noting that Sophos Scan & Clean is a free tool and may not include all of the features found in paid antivirus software.

Overall, Sophos Scan & Clean is a useful tool for detecting and removing malware, and it is a good choice for users who are looking for a free option. However, as it is a scan-only software, you may also want to consider a full-featured antivirus program for ongoing protection."

Wonder if it can do UTube video reviews...
Not bad, but I think that people here will still be able to tell the difference between the real CS and AI CS before the two start to blur. as the AI develops.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Was it ChatGPT
Yes, it was. I was initially attempting to see how well it could code. Not so impressed yet, but I believe things can be tweaked at my end for results that will be more fun.

no one mentioned that F-Secure has an online scanner. Very fast. But if it doesn't use DeepGuard, perhaps not effective??
Although I didn't include that one because as you mention no one really speaks of it, I did test it a while back but will try again and post results as an addendum to Part 2. And Thank You for reminding me!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.