Basic Security MuzzMelbourne's PC Security Config

Original forum configuration · expand details
Last updated
Feb 20, 2024
Main use of this computer
For home and private use
Operating system
Linux
On-device encryption
Other full-disk drive encryption software
Device sign-in security
    • Account password
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Account Control (UAC)
Not applicable - not running Windows
Smart App Control
Not applicable / not available on this device
Network firewall
Enabled
Router and network details
ZTE MU5001 5G Router/Wifi
Real-time protection
2FA where available
Device firewall
Built-in Firewall for Mac/Linux
Custom security settings
Whonix or TAILS USB when required.
Periodic malware scanners
None
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
N/A
Browsers and extensions
Tor Browser
Firefox
LibreWolf
Mullvad Browser
Secure DNS
MullvadVPN
Desktop VPN
MullvadVPN
Password and passkey manager
Various
File and photo backups
1TB Samsung T7 SSD
Subscriptions
    • None
System recovery
Timestamp
Usage and exposure
    • Visiting familiar websites
    • Visiting unknown or untrusted websites
    • Browsing the dark web
    • Working from home
    • Opening email attachments
    • Online shopping and card payments
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Sharing and receiving files and torrents
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming from untrusted sites
Computer specs
Apple 2011 13" MacBook Pro
Intel Core i5 Duo 2.46Ghz
16 GB DDR RAM
500 GB SSD
Notable changes
removed openSUSE Tumbleweed
back to Linux Mint Cinnamon
added MullvadVPN
Feedback preference

Suggestions on the main improvements

Join the club I am on Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.2 LTS on old X5676 with 512 sata SSD and 12GB RAM, works fine.

Why did you disable the firewall of your router?
Thanks, same distro here, new download/install.

Yeah, my old MacBook loves it, much more fun than the M2 MBP. Apple is really starting to grab you by the short and curly's.

Umm, my router is a ZTE Mobile Router/WiFi and I haven't actually disabled the firewall as much as, if it has one, enabled it from new. I'll have to check i guess.

Update: Nup, no native Router Firewall.
 
Last edited:
Cruising the dark web with just Tor? Disable anything on the browser at least while doing so? Hardening on Mint in any form? Apparmor/ SELinux custom profiles?
Cheers, nah, I use the TOR browser for Onionshare only.

I use TAILS or Qubes/Whonix for playing on the Darkside, and then primarily for Crypto or 'prepper' style backup and tinfoil hat stuff.

Hardening my system is on my list but atm I'm still adding bits and bobs to a mini home network that has gaping holes in it, but I'll look at your suggestions in due course, cheers.
 
You break my heart you are banned from Apple/iOS section. joking
Haha... don't be too hasty there CT...

I still have 5 Apple devices, not including my Airtag collection and Airpods Pro 2 so don't be too harsh on me.

The reason I made the Linux switch is because it looks like Sonoma is going to be the last OS-X to run on Intel based Mac's, even making OCLP useless in the future. And, my future plans tend to require more hardware/software expansion options than shear grunt,!

So the ARM processor based Macs are no real use to me.

I like fiddling inside computer cases more than 3D modelling with them.
 

1697022879772.png

Got to this point and no further...
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top