I

illumination

Thread author
-------------------------------------------------------------
Utility Programs
System Utility: Ccleaner, windows defrag
--------------------------------------------------------------
Backup/Recovery
Backup: Two sets of disks/built in image.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Toolbox/USB
MalwareBytes TechBench, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, CCE,
Portable Ccleaner, Portable Defraggler, Portable Eraser.
---------------------------------------------------------------
This is my very light set up, on windows 8, with smart screen enabled..

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Looks great, why not add though, HTTPS Everywhere and No-Script and Adblock Plus?

I

illumination

Thread author
McLovin said:
Looks great, why not add though, HTTPS Everywhere and No-Script and Adblock Plus?

Im glad you mentioned that, i forgot to list the ones i am using, not enough coffee yet :D

N

Nige_40

Thread author
I know ScriptNo has been renamed to ScriptSafe as of 27th but is save to use it anyway ?

It's only because it says this > ScriptSafe can access:
Your data on all websites
Settings that specify whether websites can use features such as cookies, JavaScript and plug-ins
Your tabs and browsing activity
and other things if you select Install from WebStore

So after reading that is it still save to use ?

Nige

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Nige_40 said:
I know ScriptNo has been renamed to ScriptSafe as of 27th but is save to use it anyway ?

It's only because it says this > ScriptSafe can access:
Your data on all websites
Settings that specify whether websites can use features such as cookies, JavaScript and plug-ins
Your tabs and browsing activity
and other things if you select Install from WebStore

So after reading that is it still save to use ?

Nige

But, so can Lastpass for that matter, because it needs to know and store your password in their manager? As of the change of name, I didn't even know that they changed.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
that is normal, to protect you , it must have access to it.

it is like your AV says it will access :

- your registry base
- program files
- kernel
- autorun

etc...

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
that is normal, to protect you , it must have access to it.

it is like your AV says it will access :

- your registry base
- program files
- kernel
- autorun

etc...

Would be much different (to me at least) if it was on my phone.

N

Nige_40

Thread author
Thanks McLovin & Umbra,

I don't store any passwords on this Machine, or My Laptop.
so with saying that, It's not worth me having Lastpass and to add on ScriptSafe so that is can save the password in Lastpass.

So thanks guys for the advise.

I have used HTTPS Everywhere but it makes problem for me. But that is :eek:fftopic: within this post :)

Thanks again

Nigel

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Nige_40 said:
I have used HTTPS Everywhere but it makes problem for me. But that is :eek:fftopic: within this post :)

Thanks again

Nigel

In that case, let's discuss in your configuration. :D

N

Nige_40

Thread author
McLovin said:
Nige_40 said:

Thanks again

Nigel

In that case, let's discuss in your configuration. :D
O know let me hide :D

I

illumination

Thread author
Nige_40 said:

This just happened between the time posted my config this morning and now. I have had no issues with this utility, it servers it's purpose well. The same with Lastpass, i have been using it for a long time now, it is quite handy in my opinion!

N

Nige_40

Thread author
Further enough thewolfsmith72

But I will look into it. :)

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
illumination said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Utility Programs
System Utility: Ccleaner,Defraggler,Recuva,Speccy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice using all piriform software

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Unknown said:

Thing is why not use all the Piriform software. Speccy is great for telling you information about your PC, CCleaner, well we all know what that does, Defraggler is a great alternative instead of the Windows default Defrag and Recuva, another great backup tool. Why not else to use them? :p

I

illumination

Thread author
McLovin said:
Unknown said:

Thing is why not use all the Piriform software. Speccy is great for telling you information about your PC, CCleaner, well we all know what that does, Defraggler is a great alternative instead of the Windows default Defrag and Recuva, another great backup tool. Why not else to use them? :p

Indeed! They all work well for my needs, and from a company i trust.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
McLovin said:

All quality software, however Recuva is not backup software, it's for emergency recovery of files.

I

illumination

Thread author
Tom172 said:
McLovin said:

All quality software, however Recuva is not backup software, it's for emergency recovery of files.

It is really a matter of wording or perspective, as he said backup tool, and being able to recover files is a form of backup :)

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
illumination said:
Tom172 said:
McLovin said:

It is really a matter of wording or perspective, as he said backup tool, and being able to recover files is a form of backup :)

Eh, you're sort of twisting things around there.

Backup software allows you to select files, folders and drives to be backed up to external locations for safe keeping.

Restoration software only allows you to possibly restore files in the event they've been accidentally deleted. Very different.

Like comparing apples to oranges.

I

illumination

Thread author
Tom172 said:
illumination said:
Tom172 said:
McLovin said:

Eh, you're sort of twisting things around there.

Backup software allows you to select files, folders and drives to be backed up to external locations for safe keeping.

Restoration software only allows you to possibly restore files in the event they've been accidentally deleted. Very different.

Like comparing apples to oranges.

If one was going by the technical term, you would be quite correct.

If one was to look at definitions more thoroughly, a backup tool can be seen as having two uses. So one would think either way, the names could be fitting,if being referred to as a "form" of.

The primary purpose is to recover data after its loss, be it by data deletion or corruption.

The secondary purpose of backups is to recover data from an earlier time, according to a user-defined data retention policy, typically configured within a backup application for how long copies of data are required.

Personally i call it my "failsafe"

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.