My Config

I

illumination

Thread author
Biozfear said:
illumination said:
I am without way to do this as well, and im not flaming them, i have repeatedly said i really like EIS, it just does not play well with my system. I encourage people with enough resources to take it for a test drive. Both EIS and CIS have been in my top favorites for some time.

You got me wrong. I ain't pointing the finger at you. I also said I am no different on that specific case.

It was more of a general thing that tends to happen more often than not. Most users can't be asked to waste time on reporting issues since their mentality is: Someone else is bound to report.

Sure some vendors don't acknowledge and make you going in circles just to make it as everything is fine, but others do care. Some care to an extend but then the community itself ruins the image. You get the picture:)

I know what you mean, and also knew you were saying that in general, i was just trying to convey that this was not the case, i do apologize as wording does make a difference.. I have spent some time on Emsisofts support forum, and they are prompt at fixing things they can. You are correct many do not give the vendors the time or patience to do so, and of course there are a couple vendors that do not take their users seriously as well..

My system specs basically speak for themselves, I tried "tweaking" EIS every way i could think of without losing coverage of security "cause of course this would defeat the purpose of having it", to make it a little easier on my system. At this point, i do not blame Emsisoft, i just need to get a rig with a little better resources down the line before i try again. Personally, i could just run simplistic, but my kids get on my system from time to time, so, i keep it locked down as possible..

P

Plexx

Thread author
Well EAM on my i7 had some issues on Boot so I do not for one second only believe it boils down to rig specs.

My apologies if it sounded like I was directing it to you nevertheless.

Give this setup a try instead: EAM with Windows firewall. That way you would know if its only OA or its EAM or its both. Nothing wrong in trying :)

I

illumination

Thread author
Biozfear said:
Well EAM on my i7 had some issues on Boot so I do not for one second only believe it boils down to rig specs.

My apologies if it sounded like I was directing it to you nevertheless.

Give this setup a try instead: EAM with Windows firewall. That way you would know if its only OA or its EAM or its both. Nothing wrong in trying :)

One would not think on a rig like that, you would have had issues on boot.
I have given away the licenses already, i plan on sticking with what i have, it already has a proven track record of playing well with my computer :D

Edit: I say that, about the rig, as lack of resource was the only issue i have had in the many times i have tried to run this combination.

I

illumination

Thread author
Removed: CIS6
Added: EIS & Firefox

I have had issues with resources running this combo on my system, but this will be short lived this time around, a new system is in the works, and i will be transferring this config over to it when completed. :D

I

illumination

Thread author
Removed: EIS

Added: WSA

As well as moved from windows 7 to windows 8 with new system, i forgot to update this thread some time ago..

This is my new path, of traveling light with security, while remaining secure..

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
same for me, EIS is heavier & heavier...WSA has all with low footprint

I

illumination

Thread author
Umbra Polaris said:
same for me, EIS is heavier & heavier...WSA has all with low footprint

Quite a few of them now days seem to be getting heavier on the systems...
I took WSA for a test drive and was pleased with the lightness of it.. And for those like "us" that require some interaction with our security, you can adjust WSA from a set to forget, to more hands on with some minor tweaks, while still remaining light..

I

illumination

Thread author
Added:
Zemana Anti-Logger "licensed"
Hitman pro "licensed"
Malwarebytes Techbench "to toolbox"

I have come to the conclusion, that im tired of playing with third party firewalls "HIPS", causing more headaches, then doing good.. I have settled for this config, which is just as light as anything else I have run, and still very effective.

I

illumination

Thread author
Gnosis said:
I was at a loss. I thought you were flying solo with Zemana. LOL
Now I get it.

LOL, nope.. Running the combo of Webroot and Zemana for full time protection, and the "licensed" version of Hitman Pro for a second opinion. Hitman is set to scan upon start up everytime..

I have a couple different back up's for the system "just in case" and then there are always my "tool Box's" of which i only have one listed here..
"dont want to give away all my secrets" ;)

I

illumination

Thread author
Upgraded to windows 8.1

Tweaked some settings, as i noticed a lot of privacy issues turned on by default.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I didn't notice that many, did you do a custom or express install?

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I opted for a custom install the other day. I am glad I did because they were going to sneak a couple of unwanted toolbars in on me.

I

illumination

Thread author
After battling with a zeroacess rootkit on a friends machine, it bolstered the fact, that one can not have too much security.. I went back to using CIS "tweaked of course" and using CD "comodo dragon"..

How i use this set up is simple enough, but im pretty sure it will be effective combined with my knowledge.. ;)

I first turn on the system, and let the "licensed" version of Hitman Pro run it's start up scan.. I then open Shadow defender and throw the system into "shadow mode", next i will click on Cyberghost and connect via an encrypted connection, and last but not least, i will open Comodo Dragon "via the CIS widget" into a sandboxed environment..

With Zemana holding CIS's hand, and Hitman pro as a back up, and enough virtualization to keep any user amused, im more then positive my chances of infection are slim... ;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've not used SD, but wouldn't the whole system be isolated, and any changes will be undone when Shadow Mode is discarded?

Is CIS excluded from SD?

I

illumination

Thread author
Earth said:
I've not used SD, but wouldn't the whole system be isolated, and any changes will be undone when Shadow Mode is discarded?

Is CIS excluded from SD?

Yes and no...

I forgot to mention i update definitions ect before going into Shadow Mode..

I call this, my double layer, of good luck getting in.... ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.