My Config

P

Plexx

Thread author
I believe the keyword here is possibly.

Backup and restoration is 2 different things, specially due to the means and the core functions and means that each one use to perform its designated tasks.

I

illumination

Thread author
Biozfear said:
I believe the keyword here is possibly.

Backup and restoration is 2 different things, specially due to the means and the core functions and means that each one use to perform its designated tasks.

Ok, so what is the difference between Data Recover software and Restoration Software, and then what would be the difference between Backup Software/Recovery Software.

I ask because obviously im twisting things around here, thinking that i could call a recovery program a form of back up.

P

Plexx

Thread author
Ok, lets do it this way.

Backup software: core method: makes a backup of files/data to be able to restore on an event of a crash/loss etc. Method itself: copies the data across and back. Rate of success: Unless something goes wrong, 100% guaranteed.

Recovery software: core method: retrieves the data/files from within the layers (ok I am missing the technical word here but hope you understand what I mean) of the Hard Disk that has been previously deleted superficially. Rate of success: not 100% guaranteed.

I agree however that both terminology can be misleading in a way but one has to understand its core functions.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Thanks Biozfear, nicely explained. I can too appreciate how software such as Recuva can be thought of as "Backup" software, but when you drill down further into what both types of software actually provides it's made clear how different they are. Apologies if I opened a can of worms here :)

I

illumination

Thread author
Biozfear said:
Ok, lets do it this way.

Backup software: core method: makes a backup of files/data to be able to restore on an event of a crash/loss etc. Method itself: copies the data across and back. Rate of success: Unless something goes wrong, 100% guaranteed.

Recovery software: core method: retrieves the data/files from within the layers (ok I am missing the technical word here but hope you understand what I mean) of the Hard Disk that has been previously deleted superficially. Rate of success: not 100% guaranteed.

I agree however that both terminology can be misleading in a way but one has to understand its core functions.

I understand the core functions of both, and agree the terminology can be misleading, my point was, it is referred to as recover software and as restoration software, why could it not be referred as a form of backup.
As in your system, hidden partitions are accessible through Recovery managers in most systems, not backup managers. See the confusion unfold even more. Rate of success would be the same either way for the recovery of a hard drive as verse the backup of one. I can go on and on with this, but makes no sense to, McLovin called Recuva a backup tool, not backup software, so it was in a sense, just as i deemed, i just did not like being told i was twisting things, when the jousting of these linguistics of terms is pointless and endless.

P

Plexx

Thread author
I only tried to explain briefly the 2 different types of core mechanics. There has been no intention to upset anyone nor saying you do not understand the core functions as I believe you do. As said before, I do agree on the terminology being misleading and presenting 2 simple explanations was the only way I could find to justify my partial agreement in terms of terminology.

I

illumination

Thread author
Biozfear said:
I only tried to explain briefly the 2 different types of core mechanics. There has been no intention to upset anyone nor saying you do not understand the core functions as I believe you do. As said before, I do agree on the terminology being misleading and presenting 2 simple explanations was the only way I could find to justify my partial agreement in terms of terminology.

Thanks i appreciate your input. I understand that both points of view are correct, and that the terminology can be misleading.I felt the need to clarify a different perspective. I do understand the core functions. I could not help but to feel slighted by the comment of twisting things, i do apologize if i seemed upset.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
illumination said:
Biozfear said:

Thanks i appreciate your input. I understand that both points of view are correct, and that the terminology can be misleading.I felt the need to clarify a different perspective. I do understand the core functions. I could not help but to feel slighted by the comment of twisting things, i do apologize if i seemed upset.

My apologies for that comment of "twisting things", I didn't mean to annoy you by that. I think we're all on the same page now.

I

illumination

Thread author
Removed: CIS6
Added: Emsisoft Internet Security & Firefox

EIS, set up with Umbra's "Paranoid" approach as well as a few of my own personal "tweaks" :D

I

illumination

Thread author
Removed: EIS,Recuva,Speccy
Added: CIS V6, Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro

Still having issues with EIS hammering on my processor during start up and updates, I really like EIS, but my personal system seems to prefer CIS. So far, this streamlined config, is the lightest and most responsive config i have ever had on my system.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
May I ask what are your current system specs?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Ahh, I see what you mean it puts pressure on the CPU. Mind you AMD are quite reliable last time I had one. Last me a good 7 years. :)

illumination said:
Single core AMD v120 @ 2.2 GHz with 4 gig of ram

I

illumination

Thread author
McLovin said:
Ahh, I see what you mean it puts pressure on the CPU. Mind you AMD are quite reliable last time I had one. Last me a good 7 years. :)

illumination said:
Single core AMD v120 @ 2.2 GHz with 4 gig of ram

It is a reliable system, been serving me well for a couple years, it just does not like the strain the EIS puts on it, maxes the CPU out while loading everything after boot, updates do the same, it will literally bring it to its knees.

I will be sticking to CIS, it really agree's with my system.

P

Plexx

Thread author
illumination said:
It is a reliable system, been serving me well for a couple years, it just does not like the strain the EIS puts on it, maxes the CPU out while loading everything after boot, updates do the same, it will literally bring it to its knees.

Was it EAM or OA that was putting a strain on your computer at boot times? Either way, report it to the Emsisoft Forums. They will probably ask you for some logs to look at it.

I

illumination

Thread author
Biozfear said:
illumination said:

Was it EAM or OA that was putting a strain on your computer at boot times? Either way, report it to the Emsisoft Forums. They will probably ask you for some logs to look at it.

There will be no logs to look at, already uninstalled. I uninstalled OAP first, upon reboot, some of the strain was gone, but still around 60-70% on CPU, so my guess would be both OAP & EAM upon boot and loading. Then the updates themselves installing at around 85% to 100% of the update, it would literally max the processor and my system would scream for mercy.

P

Plexx

Thread author
We all flame a vendor for having faults etc but then we do not provide the vendors themselves with the issues and or report it, so how can we expect issues to be fixed?

I am no different at the moment since I had the issue with EAM on Boot and forgot to upload what was required. Now I am unable to as I am not with a VM available.

Thing about Emsisoft is that you present the problems and they take time to care about it since it is in their best interested.

Try avast and its more Hit and Miss.

Try BD and they do care. Only problem with BD is that they take ages to fix something critical and often than not, they deviate to minor features fix instead.

I

illumination

Thread author
I am without way to do this as well, and im not flaming them, i have repeatedly said i really like EIS, it just does not play well with my system. I encourage people with enough resources to take it for a test drive. Both EIS and CIS have been in my top favorites for some time.

P

Plexx

Thread author
illumination said:
I am without way to do this as well, and im not flaming them, i have repeatedly said i really like EIS, it just does not play well with my system. I encourage people with enough resources to take it for a test drive. Both EIS and CIS have been in my top favorites for some time.

You got me wrong. I ain't pointing the finger at you. I also said I am no different on that specific case.

It was more of a general thing that tends to happen more often than not. Most users can't be asked to waste time on reporting issues since their mentality is: Someone else is bound to report.

Sure some vendors don't acknowledge and make you going in circles just to make it as everything is fine, but others do care. Some care to an extend but then the community itself ruins the image. You get the picture:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.