My First Build

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
imsoadude said:
I doubt i could return any of it, i got the parts more than 30 days ago and im pretty sure all the places i got them from are 15-30 day return policy. but im sure eventually ill be doing another build so next time ill make sure i post first to make sure im getting good parts.

Also whats better about getting the nocual fan over the default h60 one?

Lower noise (17,8 dbA compared to 30), less vibrations and the air flow is better (54 CFM from corsair h60 compared to 63CFM).

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Oh ok, that would be useful i find when i have the cpu working under load it gets pretty loud

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
imsoadude said:
Oh ok, that would be useful i find when i have the cpu working under load it gets pretty loud

I would recommend a push-pull configuration meaning you would need two fans for better performance.

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
I have the one that came with the case one on the top, doesnt do much though i cant really feel air pushing out, so yea two of the ones you posted would be better, quieter. i was aiming for pulling air in the back and since hot air rises blow it out the top

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
What is a good graphics card for around $100 to $150 (CAD) i've looked but im not really sure whats good or not.. any recommendations

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
For CAD I would go with Nvidia as the Geforce drivers as they work better professional application if you choose customer card. What CAD application will you use? SolidWorks is performing better with a Nvidia card. AMD costumer cards have issues to make OpenCL to work properly with professional applications, to put simple words drivers issues.

For professional application I recommend AMD FirePro V4900 which is a professional gpu and a perfect choice. I personally would take the V5800 or 5900 as they have more power to deliver and does not cost all to much. If you have bought from eBay and feel confident then I recommend to extend the budget to 220 (70 more but worth it) and purchase AMD FirePro V5800.

Check your PM :)

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Oh I ment CAD as Canadian dollar lol I didnt catch that till now :p itll be for gaming, video editing and converting, and just watching movies/tv. Should I still take the route of nvidia?

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
imsoadude said:
Oh I ment CAD as Canadian dollar lol I didnt catch that till now :p itll be for gaming, video editing and converting, and just watching movies/tv. Should I still take the route of nvidia?

Depends. Could you list the application that you will be working with? If the application can use the CUDA-cores then nvidia will have an advantage over the AMD cards. AMD has so called AMD apps that ensure that selected app work best with radeon cards.

I have looked a bit (again :)) and I have seen that you can get HD7950 for for about 200 which is worth the 50$. I am aware the budget but seeing that 7950 for 200 is a dam good offer. Otherwise HD7850 will have to do.

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Ok well the applications i've used so far are HandBrake, Photoshop, Need for speed underground 2, need for speed most wanted (2005), magic dvd ripper, vlc player watching 1080p/720p movies. at the moment thats about it. all the other programs dont have need for gpu

Also im still aiming for around the 100-150 range since ill probably have to buy a new power supply right?

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Not necessarily; if the power supply unit (PSU) has at least two (female) molex connectors then you will need an adapter (that use two molex) to a six pin connector.

The motherboard that you have has LucidLogix MVP 2.0 which is good in case you want to play and encode at the same time. I mention this because HandBrake can use Intel Quick Sync which good feature.

What should the price of the PSU? One that is not to expensive and offers a great amount of power Corsair CX600W

I will update this post as it late where I am

imsoadude said:
Ok well the applications i've used so far are HandBrake, Photoshop, Need for speed underground 2, need for speed most wanted (2005), magic dvd ripper, vlc player watching 1080p/720p movies. at the moment thats about it. all the other programs dont have need for gpu

Also im still aiming for around the 100-150 range since ill probably have to buy a new power supply right?

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Oh ok and the two molex ones id be looking for are two pin? i just dont want to load the power supply with too much lol im not sure how much power everything would need with a graphics card

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
I haven't really had time to open my computer at the moment but when i pull up the specs for my psu it says it has a PCI-E 6+2 Pin connector would that be what im looking for?

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
I'm currently running an ASUS 7850 with a 450w PSU (Check my sig for full specs). 7850 isn't a power hungry card so your PSU will be just fine. Also it only takes a single 6-pin connector.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
imsoadude said:
Oh ok, so my power supply should be fine since it has the 6 pin connector?

I will give you some links but tomorrow but you will be fine with a molex adopters that will requires two molexes to power up the 6pin connector

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Valentin N said:
imsoadude said:

I will give you some links but tomorrow but you will be fine with a molex adopters that will requires two molexes to power up the 6pin connector

Why should he mess around with molex adapters when he has a 6-pin connector on his PSU.

http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/powersupply/extreme2/extreme2-525.html

Bare in mind one 6-opin is required for an AMD 7850. If you're looking at other Graphics cards then it may be a requirement to buy some adapters.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Tom172 said:
Valentin N said:
imsoadude said:

Why should he mess around with molex adapters when he has a 6-pin connector on his PSU.

http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/powersupply/extreme2/extreme2-525.html

Bare in mind one 6-opin is required for an AMD 7850. If you're looking at other Graphics cards then it may be a requirement to buy some adapters.

In case he chooses to purchase the 7950 which will require one; he limited the gpu budget up to 150 as he thought he needs to invest the rest on the PSU but as he might not need to do that he can mess with the molex adaptor. Another reason might be to prepare in case he plans to buy another 7850, if he buy 7850.

how the adaptor looks like
4pinto6pin.jpg

youtube advice

Tomshardware topic regarding this matter

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
So if im just running one 7850 then i should be fine for just the 6 pin but if i decide to add another one later on ill have to get the adapter or a new psu

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
imsoadude said:
So if im just running one 7850 then i should be fine for just the 6 pin but if i decide to add another one later on ill have to get the adapter or a new psu

That's correct but you won't need any new psu; I even wonder if you use 100W and even i5/i7 system with a card like 7850 down draw more than 250W - (sweclockers's test rig and its energy consumption ). My recommendation is still to get the 7950 as 200$ and add the the molex adaptor, if possible (you will need to hurry if you want to take this special offer as it end on the 15 sep) otherwise 7850 or 7870.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.