My First Build

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
MrXidus said:
Missing an additional 4GB of RAM and a decent 2GB or better dedicated GPU for a proper gaming experience at 1080p. -1

Always great to have a SSD so +1 to that!

No childish overdone blue LED strips in sight another +1 to that!

USB 3.0 supported case, often skipped or overlooked with cheaper cases. +1 to that!

The fastest operating system installed on new build. A further +1

Some cables I can see that could be tucked away and hidden to look cleaner but since this is a closed case with no window, it doesn't matter! +1

Overall is a decent build, Unlocked CPU and a Corsair cooler you should share us your overclock once done.

Thanks.

Got the Video Card and im getting another 4gb of ram for my birthday in october so soon it will meet your standards lol :)

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Just at default tomorrow i might try overclocked on the review Tom172 posted they had the overclock as:

2wqz5oo.png

Should i try the same overclock? or what settings do you think i should try im not really experienced with GPU overclocking and how the settings should go but i would like to try :)

also when i was using FurMark to test it the fan was set on auto and most the time i believe it would just sit at 50-55% so a % like 70% would help cool it off too wouldnt it?

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
imsoadude said:
Just at default tomorrow i might try overclocked on the review Tom172 posted they had the overclock as:

2wqz5oo.png

Should i try the same overclock? or what settings do you think i should try im not really experienced with GPU overclocking and how the settings should go but i would like to try :)

also when i was using FurMark to test it the fan was set on auto and most the time i believe it would just sit at 50-55% so a % like 70% would help cool it off too wouldnt it?

Push the overclock (only frequency increase) as much as possible without adjusting the voltage; if it's not stable you will get bsod, freezes or similar when the gpu is on load however that should not a be a problem since you can adjust it to the previous stable settings. In the review, if I am not mistaking Tony Logan, the reviewer, managed to get it to 1,2GHz which is an insane crease. I have looked at other reviews and the common denominator was 1,25 or a bit higher voltage and the fan speed is at least at 75%. It will draw more power (around 100 W) but since you have i5-4670K it should not be a problem.

I will try to see if there is a back plate as I have heard it can improve the cooling - it would at least cool the rams at the back of the gpu. I will also try to find out if the power phases get cooled down.

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Another question i bumped the core clock only up to 1000MHz and on AIDA64 says its sitting at 300MHz on idle and under stress test it says it only bumps up to 600MHz? is this normal or should it be at 1000MHz under load (also happens on default settings)

found another post similar on another website said it could be the power control so ill increase that to +10% or +20% to see if it helps

Therefore the FurMark would be incorrect since it didnt have enough power and core clock was jumping around.

Worked now its at 1000MHz with +10% in AIDA64 now going to do a whole system stress

Got MSI After Burner set up to combat the high temps with fan speed seems like i got it to level off at about 78-79 Celsius (GPU Diode) and 86 for VRM1 and 82 for VRM2 only thing im concerned about is that to keep them at those temps the fan speed at the moment is 89% could that raise problems or hurt the GPU? and stress test is worst case scenario right so i might be able to play a game and have it not use 99% usage all the time and have lower temps meaning lower fan speed?

And i reran FurMark and it was getting up to 86 Celsius on the Diode with fans at 96%, is there a way i can keep this cool'er or is it something im doing wrong?

Edit: after an hour it is stable no crashes nothing 99% GPU usage whole time.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
imsoadude said:
Should I try to increase the memory clock as well? Or just the core clock?

I am not sure if it will help a lot but you can but keep in mind that you can't increase a lot. I will take a closer look.

imsoadude said:
Another question i bumped the core clock only up to 1000MHz and on AIDA64 says its sitting at 300MHz on idle and under stress test it says it only bumps up to 600MHz? is this normal or should it be at 1000MHz under load (also happens on default settings)

found another post similar on another website said it could be the power control so ill increase that to +10% or +20% to see if it helps

Therefore the FurMark would be incorrect since it didnt have enough power and core clock was jumping around.

Worked now its at 1000MHz with +10% in AIDA64 now going to do a whole system stress

Got MSI After Burner set up to combat the high temps with fan speed seems like i got it to level off at about 78-79 Celsius (GPU Diode) and 86 for VRM1 and 82 for VRM2 only thing im concerned about is that to keep them at those temps the fan speed at the moment is 89% could that raise problems or hurt the GPU? and stress test is worst case scenario right so i might be able to play a game and have it not use 99% usage all the time and have lower temps meaning lower fan speed?

And i reran FurMark and it was getting up to 86 Celsius on the Diode with fans at 96%, is there a way i can keep this cool'er or is it something im doing wrong?

Edit: after an hour it is stable no crashes nothing 99% GPU usage whole time.

It may have to do how the thermal past is applied. Could you make a pic of the gpu with out the cooler and a pic of the cooler. I don't mind having the original versions of them so that I can take a close look at the gpu; I will see if the rams stics are cooled but also the power phase.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
imsoadude said:
Ok ill take it out tomorrow afternoon and see if I can figure out how to take it apart

If you're unsure, make a pic of the back side and I will tell which to screw of. When taking it apart it's important that you remember which screws belongs where.

I have taken apart some and I have come to the conclusion that some can be tricky so just stay calm with a cool head :)

Do you have thermal paste? If you don't I recommend IC Diamonds 24 carats

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
What about Arctic MX2 seems to have good reviews and good results and its in a store near me lol

or would MX4 be better?

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Looks like you were right my friend lol Thermal paste looks like it was sneezed on there lol i took a bunch of photos and it was only 4 screws to take it off :) easy

Picts: http://imgur.com/a/AxGGR

Do i need a Thermal paste cleaner like ArctiClean? cause it should be cleaned first right

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
imsoadude said:
What about Arctic MX2 seems to have good reviews and good results and its in a store near me lol

or would MX4 be better?

At work we use MX 2 and it gives 6 warranty that it won't dry but I have seen that IC Diamonds perform better. There is a better solution but it's available for for desktop cpu.
imsoadude said:
Looks like you were right my friend lol Thermal paste looks like it was sneezed on there lol i took a bunch of photos and it was only 4 screws to take it off :) easy

Picts: http://imgur.com/a/AxGGR

Do i need a Thermal paste cleaner like ArctiClean? cause it should be cleaned first right
you do, I will see what we use at work - I believe we use benzine, let it be on the gpu/cpu for a min ans then dry it out.

I looked at the pics and the phase power is not cooled nor is the ram so I suggest you get ram cooler

I will look and see what I can recommend :)

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
ill probably go for the MX2 since its close to me so i wont have to order plus i heard the diamond is abrasive and with my first time doing this kind of stuff i want to be safe lol

for the ram cooler i found this by a store thats somewhat close to me

http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=15682&vpn=ZM-RHS1&manufacture=ZALMAN%20TECH

im not sure if thats what were looking for but its all i could find from the stores i normally go to lol. and is there something for the phase power too and what part is the phase power?

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
imsoadude said:
ill probably go for the MX2 since its close to me so i wont have to order plus i heard the diamond is abrasive and with my first time doing this kind of stuff i want to be safe lol

for the ram cooler i found this by a store thats somewhat close to me

http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=15682&vpn=ZM-RHS1&manufacture=ZALMAN%20TECH

im not sure if thats what were looking for but its all i could find from the stores i normally go to lol. and is there something for the phase power too and what part is the phase power?

I wanted to suggest the ram cooler from zalman :). MX2 is an excellen tstart an it's true that IC Diamonds is harder to remove compared to conventional

In this thread you will see where the power phases are which are called VRM.

I will look tomorrow and see what I can find.

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Looking at the pictures im still a little confused on what they are, would you be able to take a second and throw them in paint and circle them? i know the ram lol that was a easy one :) and good im glad i found the same ones you were thinking of :)

plus how many zalman copper pieces would i need i know theres 12 for ram right so im at 2 packages which leaves 4 left

Oh i think i got it, would it be 7 for me? the R22 things? and would i need the copper things for them too? if so ill grab 3 packs lol

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
imsoadude said:
Looking at the pictures im still a little confused on what they are, would you be able to take a second and throw them in paint and circle them? i know the ram lol that was a easy one :) and good im glad i found the same ones you were thinking of :)

plus how many zalman copper pieces would i need i know theres 12 for ram right so im at 2 packages which leaves 4 left

Oh i think i got it, would it be 7 for me? the R22 things? and would i need the copper things for them too? if so ill grab 3 packs lol

I will take a look. could you send me the original pics to my mail?

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Done, i wasnt sure which mail since theres no attachments on the one from your profile so i used the one on your website hope that one is still used

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
How should i apply the thermal paste everywhere i look recommends the pea sized dot then apply pressure for a even coverage with no bubbles?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.