Results are only viewable after voting.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Important to look for tutorials, of the version you have installed, to add things and programs. Search the internet for the following..

"What to do after installing Ubuntu" > indicate the version you have.

Now I have everything I need installed and working as intended. Softmaker Office and Mendeley for my MA study. Koofr online storage and Mega Sync. Spotify ( cannot live without music lol).

Some of the browser hardening and banking protection you are talking about is not so important on linux, because its purpose is to protect you from malware lurking on your own system. But the protection that ensures you are securely connected, and to the right website, is still relevant. To tell you the truth, I don't know what browser will do that on linux.

Maybe a VPN or DNS protection might help? I am not paranoid and I practice safe habits, so everything is gonna be fine.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Maybe a VPN or DNS protection might help? I am not paranoid and I practice safe habits, so everything is gonna be fine.
I am sure others can help you here. I do banking etc on my home network, to which my computer has a wired connection, so I don't worry about that stuff or even know much about it.
Enjoy your linux experience! If you don't have a desperate need for Windows-only software, and you have the energy and ability to gain linux skills, linux is the way to go.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I am sure others can help you here. I do banking etc on my home network, to which my computer has a wired connection, so I don't worry about that stuff or even know much about it.
Enjoy your linux experience! If you don't have a desperate need for Windows-only software, and you have the energy and ability to gain linux skills, linux is the way to go.

Most of the time I am connected to my home network (V-Tech router provided by my ISP) with client isolation enabled. I have not ditched Windows as it is still installed on many devices at home. My first try of linux was beyond expectations. I thought it would require much work and hassle, but luckily that was not the case.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Most of the time I am connected to my home network (V-Tech router provided by my ISP) with client isolation enabled.
Personally I don't think you have anything to worry about at all. Even if you were in a public wifi spot, and someone snooping the network managed to hack into your machine, there is about zero chance he would be prepared to install malware on ubuntu.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Personally I don't think you have anything to worry about at all. Even if you were in a public wifi spot, and someone snooping the network managed to hack into your machine, there is about zero chance he would be prepared to install malware on ubuntu.
Plus maybe I am the only one using Ubuntu in the Gaza Strip 😂😂

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I noticed some kind of issue (not sure if this is an expected behaviour) when I decrease the screen brightness to the lowest level. The screen turns black completely. Is this an issue?

I'll have to try myself and see if I get it as well. It may not be a bug, but by design. I know Apple does this with their computers (especially laptops). If you turn the brightness all the way down, it makes the screen go black, but once you turn it up, even 1 notch it comes back on. So it could be similar in that regard.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I'll have to try myself and see if I get it as well. It may not be a bug, but by design. I know Apple does this with their computers (especially laptops). If you turn the brightness all the way down, it makes the screen go black, but once you turn it up, even 1 notch it comes back on. So it could be similar in that regard.

Waiting for you to confirm. Thanks btw. It is not a big deal but I am just curious.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Thanks, I kind of figured as much, it sounded very similar to what Apple does, so I assumed it was the same. I couldn't verify it myself as I can't seem to find the brightness settings. Could be because I am running it in a VM.
I am curious why you're running linux in VM instead of dual boot.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
In your experience, does Brave Shields (default settings) break online banking websites?

I don't do online banking which I should have stated, but their Shields UI is so user-friendly I can't see why it would be an issue. Remember, their mission with Shields is to keep the web usable, e.g. you may report a broken site right from that same UI when you drop Shields. (y) The couple of times I've needed to drop Shields I had Privacy Possum or ClearURLs to handle anti-tracking.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.