Results are only viewable after voting.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Let's get down to the point. I am sick and tired of the endless issues I have been experiencing with Windows 10 on my HP Notebook 250 G7 (Desktop icon cache keeps getting corrupted for no obvious reason, update issues and driver issues). I felt helpless :cry: (exaggerating here 😂), so I decided to give Linux Mint a go (had that poor Linux Mint 19 Tara laying on my desk). I have chosen to completely to replace Windows 10 with Linux Mint, so I disabled secure boot. The installation was smooth (was offered to install 3rd party drivers and blah blah and I accepted). I was connected to a wire connection. After I finished installing Linux Mint, I was shocked that my Wifi adapter is not working. Luckily, I was offered a driver in Driver Manager. I installed it and everything is working like a charm. I have been using Linux Mint for some days (been observing battery consumption) it is not as efficient as Windows but not bad at all. Now I am gonna list all the programmes I am using:

1- Enpass Password Manager with Firefox, Opera, Vivaldi extensions.
2- Opera Browser
3- Firefox
4- Vivaldi
5- Softmaker Office 2018 (the best alternative for MS Office)
6- Libreoffice as it works with Mendeley (referencing tool).
7- Xtreme Download Manager
8- Koofr (currently having issue installing it correctly though followed their instructions)
9- Cryptomator

I was using FlexiPDF with OCR support on Windows, but unfortunately it does not support Linux. Any alternatives? Does Foxit PDF Phantom work on Linux?

Forgot to say that I was offered to upgrade to Linux Mint 19.3 and I upgraded successfully.

Any suggestions? What do you think?

I will keep this thread updated.

B

BVLon

Not a die-hard linuxer here. I only recommend Windows for the average user and Chrome OS for users who just need to browse, shop, check email...
Also, why Mint, out of so many distros? I personally would go for Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora or Gentoo. Despite being less popular, Gentoo is the Chrome OS base. I prefer the Gnome environment anyway. I need to try that ClearLinux by Intel as well... it seems trustworthy to me.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Not a die-hard linuxer here. I only recommend Windows for the average user and Chrome OS for users who just need to browse, shop, check email...
Also, why Mint, out of so many distros? I personally would go for Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora or Gentoo. Despite being less popular, Gentoo is the Chrome OS base. I prefer the Gnome environment anyway. I need to try that ClearLinux by Intel as well... it seems trustworthy to me.

I used Linux Mint because I had the DVD available. I might try Ubuntu. Anyway, I need a distro to work out of the box. I do not want to work with drivers and such hassle. What do you think of Fedora?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Looks like this is the first time you're trying out Linux and as a first timer Linux Mint is a great option. Any debian or ubuntu based distro like Mint should be best choice now. Linux is mint also very stable. Now learn the basics and have fun. Personally, Manjaro Linux is my favorite but don't try those distros now and stay with Mint (y)

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Looks like this is the first time you're trying out Linux and as a first timer Linux Mint is a great option. Any debian or ubuntu based distro like Mint should be best choice now. Linux is mint also very stable. Now learn the basics and have fun. Personally, Manjaro Linux is my favorite but don't try those distros now and stay with Mint (y)
Downloading Ubuntu now. Will give it a try and see what suits me best- Ubuntu or Linux Mint. In your experience what was more stable?

B

BVLon

I used Linux Mint because I had the DVD available. I might try Ubuntu. Anyway, I need a distro to work out of the box. I do not want to work with drivers and such hassle. What do you think of Fedora?
I personally like the Fedora, but you have to try for yourself. Linux's behavior is very different in different environments and if you've taken that journey, be ready to spend or shall I say, waste some time, to find the distro that suits you best. I would go for Ubuntu as a start.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I personally like the Fedora, but you have to try for yourself. Linux's behavior is very different in different environments and if you've taken that journey, be ready to spend or shall I say, waste some time, to find the distro that suits you best. I would go for Ubuntu as a start.
Waste some time? Not a problem at all. When I install Windows, I install a bunch of drivers, install Windows updates, change many settings, run many backups, install a security suite. I think it is the same between Windows and Linux but with different approaches. I read many articles about Fedora but I am afraid my wireless adapter won't work there, so sticking to Ubuntu or Linux Mint at this time.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Downloading Ubuntu now. Will give it a try and see what suits me best- Ubuntu or Linux Mint. In your experience what was more stable?
Ubuntu is nice but the default version comes with gnome desktop environment which I absolutely hate. It's slow, uses more memory and less customizations. One of the main user experience in the linux would would depend on these DEs. KDE Plasma is my favorite. It's just too beautiful with features. I even wish Windows had KDE. I prefer Kubuntu over Ubuntu. It's possible to install KDE in Ubuntu but new de often creates issue so installing Kubuntu is better in this case.

B

BVLon

Waste some time? Not a problem at all. When I install Windows, I install a bunch of drivers, install Windows updates, change many settings, run many backups, install a security suite. I think it is the same between Windows and Linux but with different approaches. I read many articles about Fedora but I am afraid my wireless adapter won't work there, so sticking to Ubuntu or Linux Mint at this time.
Erm I wouldn't say it's the same. I don't know what you guys are installing, but on my devices everything just pops automatically in. I haven't installed any drivers for the past 5-6 years. I just install the Intel and nVidia's own updaters and they download everything automatically, the rest comes through Windows Update. Ubuntu will offer you to install drivers and 3rd party software. Still not sure if your wireless adapter will work. The best bit about any Linux distro is you can try it before you install it or commit to it.

When I have time I will try that:

It's Intel's Linux project.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Erm I wouldn't say it's the same. I don't know what you guys are installing, but on my devices everything just pops automatically in. I haven't installed any drivers for the past 5-6 years. I just install the Intel and nVidia's own updaters and they download everything automatically, the rest comes through Windows Update. Ubuntu will offer you to install drivers and 3rd party software. Still not sure if your wireless adapter will work.

When I have time I will try that:

It's Intel's Linux project.
I have been using HP devices for some years now and I can frankly say that I am not satisfied with their driver releases. I have issue most of the time. On my HP Desktop 290 G1 I do not receive drivers updates in Windows Update (I only receive Intel VGA driver but an old one). My Wireless adapter is working in Linux Mint, so it will work on Ubuntu right? Anyway, I am still using Windows on many other devices so...

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Linux Mint is fine, but if you want to try Ubuntu, that's fine. They are the two distributions with more information on the net in their forums and on YouTube. I can not inform you about WhatsApp because I do not use it, but if you are not here in INET, there is information.:)

B

BVLon

I have been using HP devices for some years now and I can frankly say that I am not satisfied with their driver releases. I have issue most of the time. On my HP Desktop 290 G1 I do not receive drivers updates in Windows Update (I only receive Intel VGA driver but an old one). My Wireless adapter is working in Linux Mint, so it will work on Ubuntu right? Anyway, I am still using Windows on many other devices so...
When you boot from the flash drive, before you install it, you will be able to check if your wi-fi adapter works.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
1 Fedora is not oriented to the home user. Mint is based on LTS Ubuntu, which means maximum stability and software compatibility.
2 Many people think Mint = Cinnamon desktop, but the Mint Xfce desktop is great, and is less resource-hungry, too.
3 For PDF, try this one: Download Master PDF Editor 4 For Linux (Free To Use Version)
Use the .deb installer if you are on a Debian or Ubuntu distro, such as Mint.

B

BVLon

1 Fedora is not oriented to the home user. Mint is based on LTS Ubuntu, which means maximum stability and software compatibility.
2 Many people think Mint = Cinnamon desktop, but the Mint Xfce desktop is great, and is less resource-hungry, too.
3 For PDF, try this one: Download Master PDF Editor 4 For Linux (Free To Use Version)
That concept of Linux oriented to developers and Linux oriented to the home users needs to be killed. There is no Linux oriented to the home user. All of the distros are only suitable for a PC enthusiast who knows what they are doing. Gnome environment is a bit more resource-hungry, but provides the best user experience in my opinion. Unless you are running a really old device, I don't see why you should settle for Xfce or Cinnamon.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I am on Ubuntu now. I have installed all my programmes and updates. Running flawlessly.

Screenshot from 2020-03-16 23-18-41.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.